Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does somebody have to die before a change is made?? Pitcher flown to hospital after being hit with line drive.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 243/14
    Given: 15/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Does one of our kids have to die before a change is made?? Pitcher flown to hospital after being hit with line drive.

http://www.tristatehomepage.com/news...dent/692653954

When will we finally see change?
    How many more of these stories do we have to see?
    Last edited by cz fastpitch fan; 04-16-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/1
    Given: 1/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Does somebody have to die before a change is made?? Pitcher flown to hospital after being hit with line drive.

I took my team to the ohio state vs indiana college softball game on friday. Indiana's starting pitching is a girl who our high school team played in the division 1 state championship so the girls though it was cool to see her. But, the indiana pitcher was wearing a facemask and is in college. I encourage them for our team. But it was nice for the girls to see a college girl wearing one.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 452/5
    Given: 626/13

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Does somebody have to die before a change is made?? Pitcher flown to hospital after being hit with line drive.

as we all know, nothing is going to happen until a nationally recognized sporting association figures out a way to set a safety standard that all masks must meet from the mfr.
    no standard exists, so no one is going to take the liability of making mandatory a mask that is not certified by a national testing institute. it would open up any association doing so to a massive liability.
    not saying this is right or justified, its just the truth.
    it falls on the parents and coaches to implore the use of a facemask, for all infielders in the lower ages and at least the corners and pitchers in the higher age brackets. the more girls that are used to regularly wearing them coming up, the more likely they are to wear them at collegiate levels. my DD doesn't go on the field without hers.
    MARK HALEY
    CENTRAL OHIO ICE ODER 01

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 31/1
    Given: 12/0

Pacer - what kind of standards are you looking for in regards to the mask? Or are you talking about standard or requirements to wear a mask? Have you seen any instances of a player wearing a mask and it failed to protect the player? Rip Its are designed to stop the impact of the ball to the face, I have seen a few instances live as a coach and parent - where it has done just that. I cant speak for the other masks - especially the plastic ones, but the Rip Its are constructed very similar to their batting helmet face guards. In one instance a player suffered a bad concussion as the ball grazed off the top of the mask and also hit her head. She would have been split wide open if it had not been for her Rip It. As far as I know their are no certified face masks on the market. Helmets yes. I would suggest that parents talk to their coaches and other parents about face masks - my DD pitches and plays the corners and wears her mask every time she is i one of those spots. Her HS coached asked her why she wears it at first - "you never see hot shots at 1B like 3B" - so maybe the issue here is not the players or parents? Or is it peer pressure or uneducated coaches. When I was coaching if a player decided not to wear a mask - I had a conversation with the player and then the parent, discussed my concerns with them and ultimately it is their decision as they get older. Younger age groups it was mandatory by organization. Also had a player who wore her mask religiously in the infield at SS during travel season, played 3B in High School and never wore it (reason - coach felt it showed weakness). So dont feel you can lay this on manufacturers. League governing bodies or schools need to be on board as well. Ultimately if my DD feels she wants to wear it - she will wear it or play for someone else. In the infield is her decision - on the mound is mandatory by her parents. End of story. My personal opinion - on the mound 100%. 1B and 3B - up to players and parents comfort level. At the end of the day everyone should be looking out for the players best interest.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 415/4
    Given: 399/1

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

People, you are missing the message. There is no rule against wearing a mask. Everyone upset right now say it with me out loud "there is no rule against wearing a mask."

Perhaps we should practice another saying, "I have no right to tell other parents how to raise their children." I don't care how hard you try. Unless you are reporting abuse to the police or Child Services the statement rings the truth.

As mentioned above by Pacerdad57, there is an issue of liability that needs dealt with before anyone is going to tangle with legal responsibility. JoeA could probably shed some light of the legal sides of the debate but the harsh reality is, "there is no rule against wearing a mask."

Everyone calm down and deal with your own. Say a quiet prayer the young lady is okay, then go watch the boys play baseball. Remember, it's been a school sport much longer than softball. Just saying...................

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/0
    Given: 0/0

my DD wears it when she crosses the foul lines, period. plays P, 3b & 1b. has worn it since starting travel ball at 12u. Never had a close call, but why take the chance? I've seen her hit two girls playing 3b, both would have been injured without wearing mask, versus, wipe it off and back in the game.

BTW, I've seen some real power hitting lefties that were just as capable of the hot shot to 1b as any player to 3b.

No coach on any level will ever publicly come out and condemn or forbid a player from wearing these masks. Huge liability issue.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 452/5
    Given: 626/13

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

They actually will come out and condemn wearing a mask, have seen and heard of instances of this in the past. The standards everyone is looking for are a national standards ratings of required yield stresses on the mask material and type of construction. Welds have to stand up to a minimum stress, steel cage has to also, and on ad nauseum. NO STANDARD EXISTS AT ANY LEVEL FOR A FACEMASK! The national underwriter for football helmets, baseball helmets etc. ( can't remember the letters) does not have a standard testing criteria for facemasks. It is an expensive (VERY) procedure to acquire, but it cannot be acquired if it does not exist. With no national level of standardization in existence no governing body is going to take on the liability of requiring a mask be worn. If something happens to the mask and the girls l is injured because of it, that organization ceases to exist. They would assume the liability of having forced a girl to wear a mask that failed and contributed to serious injury. Do you think a governing body is willing to take this on when they don't have to??
    And oddly according to the research I have seen and spoken to the researchers about, the most injuries are not from batted, but from thrown balls.
    Sadly nothing will happen until this first issue of manufacturing standardization is addressed and fixed. And this is not a manufacturer's problem, they make a good safety product, it's a national certification problem, what it has to withstand, etc. it is a very costly procedure, paid by all manufactures, but it DOES NOT EXIST, therefore it cannot be enforced by anyone.
    All that being said, it is a smart Item to use I feel. My DD uses hers, but if a parent isn't on board with this piece of equipment, there is no way (and I waffle on whether there should be a way) to make them use it.
    So if you want your child to wear it,'make them do so. Once they get used to wearing it, if they keep on wearing it for their entire career, all the better. Be you will never be able to force another person's child to do so over their and their parents objection.
    Last edited by Pacerdad57; 04-17-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    MARK HALEY
    CENTRAL OHIO ICE ODER 01

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 382/6
    Given: 287/1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The worst pitcher hit by a ball I seen was at the 14U NSA-A World Series...Lady from the Ill Chill took a direct shot to the nose and mouth. Literately, she had no nose and the only thing holding her teeth in was the wire on her braces in the back.
    I doubt that lady ever played again.

Back in the late 90s when I was playing Mens A/Major a few guys wore headgear. Now go to any A / Major mens game and they are all wearing them. (Even at the lower levels they are wearing them or facemask). Not because it is a rule but because the players have evolved with the sport. The mens baggy uniforms now cover, Impact vest/shirts, Soccer shin guards heck even the wristbands now have impact protection. Baseball is using impact protection under the uniform. I even seen a story on a MLB pitcher wearing a helmet hat.

I had my DD in impact protection for years and it never hurt her college coach interest. Hell most did not even know when she had it on...
    It was amazing, when we were playing how other teams would say she was cheating. No we were just smarter....and it does allow for a competitive advantage if use properly...

It comes down to educating a lot of womens college coaches and travel ball coaches. There are many that really do not know about the various player protection equipment available. (Some do not even know the difference in performance equipment) and I am talking the Division 1 level...

Bottom line is...the safety equipment is out there. Been there for years, It does not take a rule change to get players to use it. (Maybe a death or serious injury) So there is no excuse for one not to check into it.

If a parent says "but the college coaches frown on it" they are an idiot...It only takes one shot to change a life forever. Outside of the bats... the players are also getting better training, bigger, stronger so the risk is even greater now than 10 years ago.

pitcher.jpg

womens slow pitch headgear.jpg Womens Slowpitch Head gear (one of many styles)
    Last edited by CARDS; 04-17-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Know where you want to go, Plan for it and then make it happen...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAsq66_9wk

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 634/3
    Given: 496/3

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

What I HATE - is the older generation of players condemning players who wear masks as though they were weak or poor players for wearing them - I have heard this several times in the recent past on college broadcasts and in social media.

Bottom line: If you are a pitcher and you are not wearing a mask YOU ARE STUPID - The game is to fast and most girls are out of position to field after their pitch. It does not mean your a lesser player - Girls today are Generally Bigger , Better, Faster , More than they were even a few years ago. Bats are hotter and we know a shot to the dome ain't funny - Getting the bell rung isn't something to laugh off -

I agree with PD - you can not legislate that masks be worn because no one wants to be responsible - but as individuals we have to reinforce the use of masks in our sphere of influence, what ever that is - especially among the young girls - Point out those college players wearing them as roll models.

I saw a high school pitcher the other day who does not wear a mask. -( I have heard the travel organization she's with encourages them to get rid of the mask by high school - though I don't know if that's true or not).
    This girl has a full body herky-jerky pitching style - not a great fielder to begin with but her awkward landing puts her in a vulnerable position and I fear for her every time I see her pitch. She got drilled in the thigh with a line drive in the game I was watching, she never lifted her glove to defend the ball - it happened to quick for her to react - I can see a power hitter staying on the ball and driving it straight into this poor girls face and she will never know what hit her.
    Last edited by cobb_of_fury; 04-18-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: re-wrote using mostly english words and corrector sentance structor
    Support: @StayInSoftball - Follow: @AintNoWaySoft - Watch: @FastPitchTV - Root For: @BucsRaiseIt , @NorthAllegheny and @PittsburghPower

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 468/4
    Given: 655/1

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nocsae batting face masks were mandated, so why can't one for pitchers be mandated? You don't like the rule if it comes out, don't play.......

Everyone whined when the batting one came out, but now it's a norm....... They are ball players a short time, they are beautiful ladies forever, let's keep them that way!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast