Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does somebody have to die before a change is made?? Pitcher flown to hospital after being hit with line drive.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 33/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Does somebody have to die before a change is made?? Pitcher flown to hospital after being hit with line drive.

Its going to take a contract between ASA or any other sanctioning and companies like Rip It. I have always believed that all ASA cares about is money they are willing to risk something tragic happening because they are not profiting on it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 468/4
    Given: 655/1

Re: Does somebody have to die before a change is made?? Pitcher flown to hospital after being hit with line drive.

And for those who'd rather take the scholarship dollars and have said coach mandate yr daughter cannot wear a mask, I would say, why? Take your money and stick it..... Until those days happen, the dance continues and more kids will end up in an ER and scarred for life....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 397/0
    Given: 2/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I believe that any coach that forbids his/her players from wearing a fielder's mask takes on a huge potential liability. That liability could pass on to the sponsoring institution making for very big settlement numbers. It is only a matter of time before that lawsuit shows up.

Don't put me on that jury.

Moderator Mike_Craig_-_Ohio USSSA's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 151/2
    Given: 32/0

I have been watching this one from afar because this topic generates a lot of pure emotion especially right after someone gets hurt badly. The one thing that I think is beneficial is that there has been some research into it by Mark Haley and some of the other folks like Jeff Baker and Chris Zaker (I also applaud anyone else looking in this, so I apologize if I missed anyone else).

I brought this very subject up at our National meeting for USSSA last year and we had great discussion on it. The one snag that the higher-ups kept tripping up on was that there is not someone like NOCSAE certifying the manufacturing process like they do with batting helmets.

I will make anyone on here willing to send the info a promise, you give me the ammo to make a convincing argument for mandating it, and I will fight for it just as hard. Our state directors in Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky feel the same way I do but all 4 f us were in that meeting last year and heard it get stopped by the equipment standards.

My e-mail is mike.craig2@usssa.com

Now I can say that I still do slow-pitch/adult and some our state directors just this season have mandated pitching masks for the pitcher only. Now with this being adults, this might be able to be mandated a little differently. I get that it is choice and people don't like "government" interfering in their lives, but I have an 8 year old. She will not take the field when she starts to play without one on no matter what position she plays. I see the damage done and I'm convinced they are helpful just like a catcher wearing shin guards or a mask behind the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ErieDiamonds02 View Post
    Its going to take a contract between ASA or any other sanctioning and companies like Rip It.
    Mike Craig
    Ohio USSSA - Central/Southern State FP Director
    WV USSSA - Interim SW State Director
    614-895-2253
    mike.craig@ohusssafp.org
    Ohio USSSA 2017 FP Schedule
    Ohio USSSA FP Website

Thumbs Up/Down

Ok let's spin this another way..... since a tournament director could be pulled into court as well. What if the TDs put it in their rule of play mandating infielders and pitchers to use them? Would teams bypass those high profile tourneys? I doubt it....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 452/5
    Given: 626/13

but i doubt you'll see any TD's step up to do this and open themselves up for the liability they would have to assume.
    MARK HALEY
    CENTRAL OHIO ICE ODER 01

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 634/3
    Given: 496/3

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilliarddad3 View Post
    Ok let's spin this another way..... since a tournament director could be pulled into court as well. What if the TDs put it in their rule of play mandating infielders and pitchers to use them? Would teams bypass those high profile tourneys? I doubt it....

The problem is IF someone gets hurt wearing a mask - Lets say she dives and hits the chin guard on the ground and gives herself a concussion or a corner of the mask comes up and causes a laceration then the TD is at fault for mandating an item that has no safety standards.

That's the rub here.
    Last edited by cobb_of_fury; 04-19-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    Support: @StayInSoftball - Follow: @AintNoWaySoft - Watch: @FastPitchTV - Root For: @BucsRaiseIt , @NorthAllegheny and @PittsburghPower

Thumbs Up/Down

Ah I see......those dang lawyers....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 452/5
    Given: 626/13

Quote Originally Posted by cobb_of_fury View Post
    The problem is IF someone gets hurt wearing a mask - Lets say she dives and hits the chin guard on the ground and gives herself a concussion or a corner of the mask comes up and causes a laceration then the TD is at fault for mandating an item that has no safety standards.

That's the rub here.
    you have it exactly correct Cobb, this is what i've been trying to get through, the liability is a killer to this deal.
    MARK HALEY
    CENTRAL OHIO ICE ODER 01

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 85/2
    Given: 3/0

Even though its not mandatory to wear the mask, if you ask me it should fall back on the coach for not pushing these girls to wear the mask! I can't believe the mentality of these coaches who basically tell the girls if they wear the mask they must be afraid of the ball! It truly will take a death to get this ball rolling! I pray I'm wrong! Someone had a very good point about batters being forced to wear a mask but not the pitcher. I mean getting hit in the face by the pitch will hurt but not nearly as bad as a batted ball to the pitchers face. There has to be someone involved with ASA, PGF, NSA, USSSA, that could get this rule pushed through! I would say 99% of all pitchers would still pitch if they had to wear the mask, WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast