Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 168

Thread: Reverse Hand Swing

  1. #111
    In the Penalty Box
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    486
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 191/50
    Given: 81/20

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    Quote Originally Posted by cz fastpitch fan View Post
    Wow...I know the feeling of knowing that everybody here is against you. Have been in that situation. It's simply your day in the barrel, Apogee.
    Straightleg, Howard & Tim are (arguably) the best hitting instructors in the viewing area. We should all be very thankful that guys like this are willing to share their wisdom with the rest of us. Fact us...none of us invented this stuff. Sure, we all look for different things and maybe we can them differently, but this game has been around for years before any of us, and when we are dead and gone there will be a new crop of coaches on here debating the rotational versus linear motion, the Elvis move (firing the hips) versus attempting to fire the hips and hands at the same time. A wise man once said, "If you got the stats...show them. It ain't bragging 'cause it's history. If you don't have 'em, shut up."
    I firmly believe Straightleg knows what he is doing and every girl he works with ought to be privileged to receive his help. The same can be said for Howard and Tim Duncan. I would be honored to have any of these spend time with my own DD or any of my players for that matter. So why don't we do this? Why don't we sh*tcan this thread & move on to something positive, because as long as those guys are around the game, the state of Ohio is continuing to send kids off to college. As for you Sir....if you are currently helping girls improve their hitting and if they are successful at it, then my hat comes off and I bow to you as well.
    'nuff said.
    CZ
    well said. Here is the problem. If you don't agree with them, they try to attack. I guess they basically got kicked out of discussfastpitch.com for the same reason. Its the god complex. When people that aren't real sure ask questions, they think these guys are gods. When they get their butts kissed over years, these guys think their poo doesn't stink anymore. They talk about stats. What stats? You are always going to have girls that do well and those that don't. The smoke and mirror trick is to only talk about the 2-3 that have made it. I think their egos have gotten too large, that's why they attack. I honestly think its great that Howard and SL spend time trying to make kids better. But look at their remarks. Howard, this man they all worship here has called be Space Boy, Jerry Springer etc. because I don't agree with some of his hitting antics. What does that say about his character? I remember seeing the Bustos Ultimates organization down here in the Cincy area try and implement some of his techniques and they were some of the worst hitters I've ever seen. Looked like machines at bat. Now Howard will say its their fault of course. His mo is "you can lead a horse to water bla bla bla" blame the kids, that way you don't have to accept that not everything he does works. For everything video they post, I can find a counter video. I know I don't know it all, I can say that, can they say that and then accept that people might not agree with them? No baaaaaa baaaaaaa from me!

  2. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    347
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 198/14
    Given: 14/0

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    The best thing about this site is...if you have an open mind and truly believe that you don't know everything, then you truly might learn something. Here's what I have learned...as a coach it is my responsibility to stay ahead of my kids. They are getting better. Some say it's the coaching, but I say it's primarily their effort and desire to get better. I simply help them understand what they can accomplish. Last time I checked, it wasn't me standing in the batter's box staring down that ace pitcher from the other team in the eyes. It's a 13 year old girl doing it! And as they continue to progress, so must I or they will lose confidence in me as their coach. So, I come here with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Rule, #1, I leave my ego in the main forum. Hopefully I learn something and maybe, just maybe there's somebody out there with a little less experience than I have that I can help in return. Because we all OWE! We OWE!!
    Key is the open mind and the comfort in knowing that it's OK to say you don't know everything. I mean really....would I be doing what I do now if I did know everything or would I be coaching Team Planet (better than Team USA...it's the team made of the best players in the entire world)

    So my suggestion is to keep an open mind and also understand that people's beliefs in a particular swing style could be similar to their religious beliefs. Whether they be Christian, Islam, Hindu, or some Aborigine bush people who wake up in the morning and pray to god of the river that brings them life...people's beliefs are important to them. So, who are we to judge or ridicule?
    Open mind.

  3. #113
    Senior Member LADY_KNIGHTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    At the Ballpark
    Posts
    159
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 111/69
    Given: 32/0

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    I don't post on here as much as I once did and it took me till tonight to read this thread and decide to make a comment. As many of you may know I am the hitting coach at Tiffin University after 11 years as a HS coach and travel coach. I know Hitter and SL as well as Boulder very well and have valued their input on this forum throughout my many years on here...and I have no doubt whatsoever that I would not be coaching at the college level had it not been for that first 7 hour hitting lesson Howard gave my daughter about 8 years ago. No one I have seen understands the mechanics and a way of teaching it like Howard.

    Like Boulder, SL as well as others we have taken Howards teachings...and as any good coach blended them with other things we liked along the way to come up with our philosophy on hitting. I still use many of the drills and gadgets Howard so graciously presented to me...and I feel lucky to pass it on!!! Thanks Howard!!!

    This is my second year at Tiffin so it's still a little early to tell what impact I will have on this program...but here are a few stats that demon has been calling for. Please feel free to visit our website and crunch the numbers...and in most every case the players I worked with made substantial gains in power and production numbers.

    Accomplishments:
    We finished the 2014 season with a .295 team batting average. Had an increase in homerun production of 66% and a 10% increase in doubles, as well as a 10% reduction in strikeouts. Had 7 players that batted over .300, including 2nd Team All-Conference player Kristin Prokopakis (.330 BA, 21 RS, 15 SB), and Honorable Mention All_Conference to Jena King (.379 BA, 24 RS, 47 H, .540 SLG%, .430 OB%) and Madison Yanek (.339 BA, 5 HR, 28 RBI, .532 SLG%, .410 OB%).

    Forgot to mention...love the hand over drill!!! Have used it twice this week in practice to get the girls to understand pushing through contact and finishing high with the swing.

    Shayne Yeater
    Assistant Coach Tiffin University
    President Buckeye Heat Fastpitch
    Last edited by LADY_KNIGHTS; 01-16-2015 at 01:29 AM.
    HUSTLE...even when no one is watching!!!

  4. #114
    In the Penalty Box
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    486
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 191/50
    Given: 81/20

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    Quote Originally Posted by LADY_KNIGHTS View Post
    I don't post on here as much as I once did and it took me till tonight to read this thread and decide to make a comment. As many of you may know I am the hitting coach at Tiffin University after 11 years as a HS coach and travel coach. I know Hitter and SL as well as Boulder very well and have valued their input on this forum throughout my many years on here...and I have no doubt whatsoever that I would not be coaching at the college level had it not been for that first 7 hour hitting lesson Howard gave my daughter about 8 years ago. No one I have seen understands the mechanics and a way of teaching it like Howard.

    Like Boulder, SL as well as others we have taken Howards teachings...and as any good coach blended them with other things we liked along the way to come up with our philosophy on hitting. I still use many of the drills and gadgets Howard so graciously presented to me...and I feel lucky to pass it on!!! Thanks Howard!!!

    This is my second year at Tiffin so it's still a little early to tell what impact I will have on this program...but here are a few stats that demon has been calling for. Please feel free to visit our website and crunch the numbers...and in most every case the players I worked with made substantial gains in power and production numbers.

    Accomplishments:
    We finished the 2014 season with a .295 team batting average. Had an increase in homerun production of 66% and a 10% increase in doubles, as well as a 10% reduction in strikeouts. Had 7 players that batted over .300, including 2nd Team All-Conference player Kristin Prokopakis (.330 BA, 21 RS, 15 SB), and Honorable Mention All_Conference to Jena King (.379 BA, 24 RS, 47 H, .540 SLG%, .430 OB%) and Madison Yanek (.339 BA, 5 HR, 28 RBI, .532 SLG%, .410 OB%).

    Forgot to mention...love the hand over drill!!! Have used it twice this week in practice to get the girls to understand pushing through contact and finishing high with the swing.

    Shayne Yeater
    Assistant Coach Tiffin University
    President Buckeye Heat Fastpitch
    So logic would suggest that those players could already hit. Having them for one season would not produce enough quantifiable evidence to prove anything. In addition, doing one or two drills the same also would not prove that it is working vs any of the other drills. I don't have a lot time but I tried to crunch a few numbers.
    Prokopakis hit .439 in 2012-2013 and .377 in 2013-2014 (conference stats) So she declined.
    C. Brown was on the top hitters list in 2012-2013 .423 BA...Didn't see her on the list in 2013-2014 So she might have gotten worse (conference)
    P. Denman .333 BA 2012-2013 Made top hitters list in 2012-2013 didn't see her on the list in 2013-2014 So she might have gotten worse (conference)
    Yanek and King are doing well.
    I didn't look for long but a case could be made that some hitters got better while others got worse. I'll look at the stats more closely later.
    Last edited by ApogeeDemon; 01-16-2015 at 06:05 PM.

  5. #115
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/0
    Given: 72/0

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    Quote Originally Posted by ApogeeDemon View Post
    So logic would suggest that those players could already hit. Having them for one season would not produce enough quantifiable evidence to prove anything. In addition, doing one or two drills the same also would not prove that it is working vs any of the other drills. I don't have a lot time but I tried to crunch a few numbers.
    Prokopakis hit .439 in 2012-2013 and .377 in 2013-2014 (conference stats) So she declined.
    C. Brown was on the top hitters list in 2012-2013 .423 BA...Didn't see her on the list in 2013-2014 So she might have gotten worse (conference)
    P. Denman .333 BA 2012-2013 Made top hitters list in 2012-2013 didn't see her on the list in 2013-2014 So she might have gotten worse (conference)
    Yanek and King are doing well.
    I didn't look for long but a case could be made that some hitters got better while others got worse. I'll look at the stats more closely later.
    So by your logic, EVERY player must improve or the Hitting Instructor is a failure? Only your stats matter and none of the stats listed by lady_knights matter at all? Again, just by your logic?

  6. #116
    In the Penalty Box
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    486
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 191/50
    Given: 81/20

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    Quote Originally Posted by shummel View Post
    So by your logic, EVERY player must improve or the Hitting Instructor is a failure? Only your stats matter and none of the stats listed by lady_knights matter at all? Again, just by your logic?
    oh brother. You have to look at all the data! Not just the parts you like! Where did I say every hitter has to improve? Oh yea, nowhere. In fact I said Yanek and King are doing well. Take the blinders off. Some of the data would suggest that some of the hitters actually got worse. So should you ignore that? How can you be certain a system is working if some of your best hitters are no longer your best but are getting worse? As I said, you have to look at all the data. Im convinced that these girls could hit .150 and you all would still argue that your hitting system is the best in the world. LOL Stop drinking the kool aid people. Time for the sheep to wake up.

  7. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    212
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 122/15
    Given: 218/3

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    I really want to say what everyone is thinking.

  8. #118
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/0
    Given: 72/0

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    Quote Originally Posted by ApogeeDemon View Post
    oh brother. You have to look at all the data! Not just the parts you like! Where did I say every hitter has to improve? Oh yea, nowhere. In fact I said Yanek and King are doing well. Take the blinders off. Some of the data would suggest that some of the hitters actually got worse. So should you ignore that? How can you be certain a system is working if some of your best hitters are no longer your best but are getting worse? As I said, you have to look at all the data. Im convinced that these girls could hit .150 and you all would still argue that your hitting system is the best in the world. LOL Stop drinking the kool aid people. Time for the sheep to wake up.
    You did NOT say that every hitter has to improve! But you do imply it when you don't give the poster credit for the TEAM improving! You don't ignore that some hitters got worse! Every kid is different and that means that the game plan with each kid is different! Sometimes that's easy, sometimes it isn't! Agreed? You say: how can one be certain a system is working when some of the best hitters are getting worse? If the team is improving, isn't that evidenced enough? Even in MLB, if the Reds get a new hitting instructor and the offensive numbers for the team improve but Votto got worse, does that mean the instructor failed? By your logic, it does! Nice logic!!!!! I have a young team and I very much enjoy learning! Do you have video of work with your kids in the garage or the basement to teach me something new? I view everything open-minded bc I never stop learning! I have made it obvious who I am , as have others, care to share who you are or the girls you have worked with and what (big time schools) they attend(ed)?

  9. #119
    In the Penalty Box
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    486
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 191/50
    Given: 81/20

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    Quote Originally Posted by shummel View Post
    You did NOT say that every hitter has to improve! But you do imply it when you don't give the poster credit for the TEAM improving! You don't ignore that some hitters got worse! Every kid is different and that means that the game plan with each kid is different! Sometimes that's easy, sometimes it isn't! Agreed? You say: how can one be certain a system is working when some of the best hitters are getting worse? If the team is improving, isn't that evidenced enough? Even in MLB, if the Reds get a new hitting instructor and the offensive numbers for the team improve but Votto got worse, does that mean the instructor failed? By your logic, it does! Nice logic!!!!! I have a young team and I very much enjoy learning! Do you have video of work with your kids in the garage or the basement to teach me something new? I view everything open-minded bc I never stop learning! I have made it obvious who I am , as have others, care to share who you are or the girls you have worked with and what (big time schools) they attend(ed)?
    How do you know the team is improving? You don't. Once again, you have to look at ALL the data. Ok, let me use your logic. I implement a new hitting style for example. Out of my 9 hitters 7 got worse from the previous year and 2 have improved. So I tell everyone that its working because I have 2 kids that improved. Does that make any sense to you? If 3 girls improve and 9 regress, I guess that's success in your eyes. You say I didn't give credit? Can you read? Didn't I mention 2 players that are doing well or did you skip that part? The poster said he had data and to look at the data! I did, and I found that players actually got worse. Oh no, he really did crunch the data! I didn't think he knew how to do that. LOL I only looked at it for a minute. ALso, you cant get a real feel for the results after one season. I did mention that or did you skip that part too? You keep drinking the kool aid and sit back down. Thank you.

  10. #120
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/0
    Given: 72/0

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Re: Reverse Hand Swing

    Quote Originally Posted by ApogeeDemon View Post
    How do you know the team is improving? You don't. Once again, you have to look at ALL the data. Ok, let me use your logic. I implement a new hitting style for example. Out of my 9 hitters 7 got worse from the previous year and 2 have improved. So I tell everyone that its working because I have 2 kids that improved. Does that make any sense to you? If 3 girls improve and 9 regress, I guess that's success in your eyes. You say I didn't give credit? Can you read? Didn't I mention 2 players that are doing well or did you skip that part? The poster said he had data and to look at the data! I did, and I found that players actually got worse. Oh no, he really did crunch the data! I didn't think he knew how to do that. LOL I only looked at it for a minute. ALso, you cant get a real feel for the results after one season. I did mention that or did you skip that part too? You keep drinking the kool aid and sit back down. Thank you.
    Keep proving your narrow-mindedness!!!!!!!!! The team is improving IF you read the Team Accomplishments. Did you? You say: once again you have to look at ALL of the data BUT you make it clear that you don't! This is not my opinion (bc my opinion is irrelevant) it is fact if you re-read! But that's IF. That makes the rest of your post pointless bc you cannot stay on topic and stick to facts!

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •