Principles that a team should follow... IMHO..

johnnies

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I promised Admin that I would occasionally posts some thoughts based on my years of coaching... So here goes.

There are some principles that I believe that the players on a team should have if they wish to be viewed as a class team and part of a class organization. Some of you may think that I am old fashioned and maybe I am.. it still doesn?t change my views? Here they are:

1. Anytime a player puts on a uniform it is to be worn properly on and off the field. That means shirts are to be buttoned up and tucked in even if you are at the fields just to watch other teams play. You represent your team and organization and you should always have pride in wearing your uniform. The same applies to the coaches.
  2. Come to the field with a clean uniform. Go home with a dirty one.
  3. Be respectful. That includes all coaches, the umpires and your opponents.
  4. The players are expected to win with dignity and to lose with grace. You do not celebrate a win in a manner that would be humiliating to your opponents. You hold your head high after a loss.
  5. When you see an opponent make a good play? congratulate them on the play after the game.
  6. Never disagree with or argue a call with an umpire. If discussion is necessary, that is the coaches? responsibility.
  7. While in the dugout the players are to pay attention to the games. Some of you may disagree with me on this - but I discourage organized cheering. I feel it distracts the players from observing the game and studying the opponents.
  8. Be the first to arrive at the game and the last to leave. The same goes for practices.

I am sure that some of you have more guidelines that you feel should be on this list? Please share them with us.

Thanks

Irish196

Reaction score
I promised Admin that I would occasionally posts some thoughts based on my years of coaching... So here goes.

There are some principles that I believe that the players on a team should have if they wish to be viewed as a class team and part of a class organization. Some of you may think that I am old fashioned and maybe I am.. it still doesn?t change my views? Here they are:

1. Anytime a player puts on a uniform it is to be worn properly on and off the field. That means shirts are to be buttoned up and tucked in even if you are at the fields just to watch other teams play. You represent your team and organization and you should always have pride in wearing your uniform. The same applies to the coaches.
  4. The players are expected to win with dignity and to lose with grace. You do not celebrate a win in a manner that would be humiliating to your opponents. You hold your head high after a loss.
  5. When you see an opponent make a good play? congratulate them on the play after the game.
  6. Never disagree with or argue a call with an umpire. If discussion is necessary, that is the coaches? responsibility.
  7. While in the dugout the players are to pay attention to the games. Some of you may disagree with me on this - but I discourage organized cheering. I feel it distracts the players from observing the game and studying the opponents.
  8. Be the first to arrive at the game and the last to leave. The same goes for practices.

I am sure that some of you have more guidelines that you feel should be on this list? Please share them with us.

Thanks
I would add:
i) always hustle on and off of the field: no walking;
ii) never take your position for granted; you should always play like there is someone better ready to step in (and hopefully coaches have someone practiced, able and ready to step in if someone isn't giving their all); and
iii) always leave the field cleaner than you found it.
A personal one I have for DD (and my husband and I to the extent it is possible) is to always thank the coaches before you leave- no matter if it is a practice, a game, a tryout, anything-- thank the coaches. No one gets paid enough to be a coach- they are there for the kids so the least they should get is a thank you.

Last edited:

mstat00

Reaction score

Thanks

I must be old Fashioned !!
But some degree of cheering is also good!! Better than hearing..cricket ...cricket...

wow

Reaction score
Those are truly words to live by. Nice post.

I would add .. Practice harder than you play. You don't know what work the other team has put in and it may come down to who is better prepared.

ApogeeDemon

In the Penalty Box
Reaction score
I would add, don't listen to mom and dad on the ride home when they tell you that you should be the starting pitcher because Susie walked too many batters. ;)

Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Jim, like I keep saying The Softball World need and wants people with your experience around. I known I want you posting as much as you can.

BabySeatPete

Reaction score
Does Losing with Grace & Holding your Head High after a Loss include having your Team Run Wind Sprints in 90+ temps after a Loss in the Stingrays Tourney 5 or so years ago?

15heat

Reaction score
Does Losing with Grace & Holding your Head High after a Loss include having your Team Run Wind Sprints in 90+ temps after a Loss in the Stingrays Tourney 5 or so years ago?

BabySeatPete.....maybe the 90+ degree heat effected your vision? I was one of Jim's assistant coaches 5 or so years ago (can you say HONOR???) and I never, ever, ever not once, not EVER saw him have his girls run after a game, win or lose. For warm ups, yes. But never after a game. There are a lot of teams with red and black uniforms.......

Bink44

Reaction score
Hey Jim...nice post. Sure miss talking to you at the park...hope your enjoying your retirement.

Lee Pyles

Bink44

Reaction score
I've run my girls after a game if I didn't get 100% effort during a game! Then again I'm not some soft *** parent either???I'm a hard core FASTPITCH coach...lol :)

FastBat

Reaction score
I think we do need more tried and true softball parents that have already been through the process. I love the experiences shared good and bad. I have had one dad, in a gentle way, tell me he wished he had more fun with dd and enjoyed it at the time, rather than taking it so seriously and getting upset. I can't imagine why he would share that me(lol).....but little tidbits like that do help put it in perspective. Few people in life say, "I would do everything exactly the same", in retrospect. Of course, you did the best you could, with what you had, at the time; when you knew more, you did more.

Thanks! Keep sharing!

Ron

Reaction score
forum,
I felt my responsibility as a coach was to improve individual performance which would result in improved team performance ... Arriving early to games/practices is not always up to the player...
Rules put pressure on the players, coaches and families... The laws of common sense and the ten commandments were enough... If you need alot of structure/boundaries, it probably means you've got to be more careful when you pick your players and families, or are a control-freak...
The system is not-perfect, I think there are more better coaches, better players, and better teams... But, winning is still more fun than not-winning... Convincing a weak team to come back for another weekend of a challenge they will struggle to meet is a difficult task for a coach, accompany that with a list of rules/expectations besides the norm and it will become ''not-fun''...
Many teams/coaches have a limited talent pool... All coaches/families want their team to be competitive...
The above was an opinion that has evolved over a long time, it was NOT how I felt when I started.... I did make changes quickly...
Ron Poole

Buckeyeheat94

Reaction score

I played for Coach Clark since I was 11, all the way up to his retirement. He was the absolute best coach I could have ever asked for. He never ever made us run after games. My high school coach made us run after games and that was a reason I did not enjoy high school softball as much as travel. Coach Clark treated every single girl on his team as family, not just as players. I could go on and on about how great of a coach he is and just person in general. But the point is, I was on his team and at that very tournament and that never happened.