Rule Changes for 2015 at the High School Level? Any thing New to be Concern about?

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Re: Rule Changes for 2015 at the High School Level? Any thing New to be Concern about

I'm pretty sure that the 2015 rule changes were published in June. I'll see if I can find them and post them here.

FPcoach9

Reaction score
Re: Rule Changes for 2015 at the High School Level? Any thing New to be Concern about

The one rule I did see change is with batting and catchers helmets. They are not allowed to be of a shiny texture. I know Boombah and Under Armour just came out with batting helmets like this last year.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score

That's pretty much the only rule change for 2015:

2015 NFHS Softball Rule Changes

1-6-1 The batting helmet shall not have a glare or mirror-like surface.

1-7-1 The catcher?s helmet shall not have a glare or mirror-like surface.

The rest of these are editorial changes only, existing rules that will be re-worded for clarity:

2015 NFHS Editorial Changes

1-6-1 The exterior warning label may be affixed or embossed (at the time of manufacture).

1-6-6 The phrase, "Meets NOCSAE Standard at the time of manufacture"

1-7-1 The catcher shall wear a catcher's helmet that meets the NOCSAE standard
at the time of manufacture.

5-1-4 After a dead-ball situation, the ball becomes live when it is held by the pitcher on the pitcher's plate and the umpire calls and/or signals "Play Ball."

7-1-1&2 Pen 2 When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before the next pitch (legal or illegal), or prior to an intentional base on balls (S.P.), or before all infielders have left fair territory and the catcher vacates her normal fielding position if a half-inning is ending. The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out (not the improper batter). The improper batter's time at bat is negated and she is returned to the dugout/bench area. All outs stand and runners who were not declared out must return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. If a runner advances because of a stolen base, wild pitch, passed ball (F.P.) or an illegal pitch (F.P.) while the improper batter is at bat, such advance is legal.

NOTE: If any situation arises which could lead to an appeal by the defense on the last play of the game, umpires should not leave the field until all infielders have left fair territory and the catcher has vacated her normal fielding position. If teams line up to shake hands there is little chance for an appeal even if the defensive infielders have not crossed the foul line and umpires can leave the game at this point. No appeal can be made once the umpires have left the field.

wvanalmsick

Reaction score

NOTE: If any situation arises which could lead to an appeal by the defense on the last play of the game, umpires should not leave the field until all infielders have left fair territory and the catcher has vacated her normal fielding position. If teams line up to shake hands there is little chance for an appeal even if the defensive infielders have not crossed the foul line and umpires can leave the game at this point. No appeal can be made once the umpires have left the field.

So what happens if the umpires leave the field of play but the infielders have not and are trying to make an appeal? I have never seen this but you never know.....

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score

So what happens if the umpires leave the field of play but the infielders have not and are trying to make an appeal? I have never seen this but you never know.....

Then it's too late to make an appeal. The editorial change (it's not really a rule change, because this has always been the rule) says that umpires "should not" leave the field. So it's more or less just a guideline that umpires should follow. If they don't, then there's nothing the teams can do about it. Once the umpires leave the field no appeals can be made.

In all my years of umpiring, I've never seen a team try to make an appeal after the last play of the game. But it is possible, which is why NFHS added this note to the rule book.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Just wondering - does this mean the helmets all must be of the flat paint scheme gaining popularity? I have seen helmets that are shiny when the girls first get them but I don't know if I have ever seen any that had a glare or mirror like surface - is this a new type of helmet?

Last edited:

wow

Reaction score

The issue with the helmets is more because the painted surfaces and then clear coated. The glare could obstruct the game>>>????? I have also been told that some of these paints and clear coats, post production, can damage the integrity of the polymer helmet....

I would say a Mirrored or polished stainless steel helmet would be cool...

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score

The new rule is aimed at helmets like this:

http://www.homerunmonkey.com/equipment/homerun-batting-equipment/homerun-batting-helmets/homerun-under-armour-batting-helmet-uabh-100sc-solid-chrome-adult.html

While that is the intent, as is often the case with new rules or points of emphasis, sometimes umpires can get overzealous in enforcing it. A new helmet with shiny paint or clear coat shouldn't be a problem. But I can just imagine some umpire, somewhere, not allowing it because it's "glossy".

Westler33

Reaction score

I think that helmet is cool but can see how it could be a problem.

wow

Reaction score

That is one sick helmet....

Supertech

Reaction score

Has anyone heard about a Pitch Count/Innings pitched requirement in High School Softball? Is this a requirerment anywhere in this sport? I seem to have heard that this is/was being considered at some level.

TnTs_Dad

Reaction score

Only place I've heard of anything like this in softball is under Little League. They limit number of innings per game/day.

wow

Reaction score

Has anyone heard about a Pitch Count/Innings pitched requirement in High School Softball? Is this a requirerment anywhere in this sport? I seem to have heard that this is/was being considered at some level.

Not at the high school level.. Yet...... sure OSHAA is working on it

NESB

Reaction score

In the next week or two the OHSAA will be sending clarifying information to all schools concerning the 4 player "out of season" coaching rules.

All Coaches that are coaching at a High School should take a look as it will answer many questions. It does have an affect on coaching "Fall Ball" etc.. and I would guess that several coaches are currently not in appliance with the rule.