Hitting and Hitters Discussion Should Softball batters adjust positions in the batter box? And Why?

Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
When watching older girls at bat, I see then moving up or back in the batter box.

Not really sure if their trying to throw the pitcher off balance?

Or if they have a read on the pitcher?

Why do I see this more with older players?

And only see it in younger players when the Coaches tell them to move up or back in the batters box.

wow

Reaction score
You should NOT move around in box. Its a timing issue. The more you move around the more you have to adjust your swing, thats not good. Rather loading, which is a function of timing, adjusts for the difference.

Lenski65

Reaction score
It's called baiting. Some kids can do it; other kids cannot. I've seen it work with great success. It's not a timing issue because it happens just after the pitcher starts their motion. However, once the pitch caller figures it out the ability to bait goes away.

LADY_KNIGHTS

Reaction score
Hitters should most definitely be moving around in the box if they see certain tendencies in a pitcher...especially if they struggle hitting outside pitches to the opposite field. If the hitter can not wait for the outside pitch to travel deeper into their hitting zone I recommend they step up closer to the plate and now make this pitch right down the middle.

wow

Reaction score
This is why we do this.. Like I have said in prior threads.. As many teams there are, there are ways to hit...

Can we someone to chime in who has played D1 or maybe above? There is a ton of science around hitting and would like to hear from those who have played, or coached, at the highest level....

Coach E.

Reaction score
Even at the highest Dl levels they move around in the box. All you need to do is watch a game and you can see they at least move closer or away from the plate. At a clinic with Crystle Bustos she said she did that to do what Lenski talked about.

mstat00

Reaction score
Hitters should most definitely be moving around in the box if they see certain tendencies in a pitcher...especially if they struggle hitting outside pitches to the opposite field. If the hitter can not wait for the outside pitch to travel deeper into their hitting zone I recommend they step up closer to the plate and now make this pitch right down the

That same is true when facing rise and drop pitchers
But I would also agree that if you are struggling to just hit? Moving up and back usually won't help much?(timing)

Fairman

Reaction score
Since most of us don't have D1 Athletes and are saddled with 12 year olds............I teach my kids to hit in the front of the box. Its same thought process that has batters thinking fastball and adjusting to the breaking stuff.

There are several reasons to be in front of the box.
1. The difference between up and back is only a few feet that translates to almost nothing as far as the batter's reaction time.
2. Since bunting, push bunting, drag bunting is such a part of the game...the front of the box has a higher chance of success.
3. Being up in the box takes away the late break on all breaking pitches.
4. The field gets to be slightly larger than 90o and a batted fair ball over a bag can bury itself into a corner and result in extra bases.
5. The batter is a half stride closer to first.
6. Moving a batter back in the box when facing a fireballer puts the batter on her heels and gives the mental win to the pitcher.
7. Most catchers will not move up far enough to actually catch a drop ball making that pitch an adventure.

The disadvantages are...
1. The catcher is 4' closer to second in a steal situation.
2. The umpire may not move the strike zone up with the batter and high pitches will be called strikes.

The main advantage of being up in the box is that the girls get more aggressive with their swings, they feel that they are going up to hit and they take their cuts. Girls in the back of the box are looking for a walk.

Comp

Reaction score
2. The umpire may not move the strike zone up with the batter and high pitches will be called strikes.

Any umpire that has been trained wont move the strike zone with the batter. The strike zone is at the plate, not where the batter is positioned in the batters box.

wow

Reaction score
Any umpire that has been trained wont move the strike zone with the batter. The strike zone is at the plate, not where the batter is positioned in the batters box.

Because the strike zone does not move, its another reason not to move around the box. For a slapper its part of the MO.

Fairman

Reaction score
You are right, the strike zone (by the rules) remains at the plate. However, the umpire should call the higher pitches strikes as the ball drops through the zone. Conversely there should be more pitches at the waist in order to get the called strike as the ball passes through the zone.

My very unscientific observation with most of the umpires at this level (not D1 NCAA) is that they will call the strike zone, at least the top and bottom vertically where the batter sets up. Certainly one of the disadvantages of batting in front of the box is introducing the variable of the umpires calls.

GeneralsDad

Reaction score
The DD maintains a neutral position at the plate. She trains in 3 zones from that position, in, out, and up. She keeps it simple. We are not 12U.

FastBat

Reaction score
When hitting (not dragging/slapping), a batter should always have the same perspective/spot in box, because batters can adjust to speed.

Many years ago, we were taught to stay up in the box, to avoid breaking pitches.

Now a days, I see many dad's tell their dd, to move back to get more time to decide to swing or not...this makes me cringe!