Scenic City Showcase

Run26

Reaction score

OH Scrappers

Reaction score
Well.... Ohio Hawks '00 was there.....what a mess! We were scheduled for a 8:00 am game on Thursday, got the girls up for warm up at 6:45 am only to find out that the other team pulled out of the tournament and no one decided to share that information with our coach. TD said he'd make it right and give us an extra game to be played later in the day at a different site. Went to the different site that was in Georgia only to find out that there was no team found to play against us and to return at 6:30 pm to play our next game. So we warmed up Thursday 4 times to only play twice. Never got the extra game as promised. Fields were not relined after any games and we had other teams stepping out of the batter's box all day against us with zero calls. Umpiring was not good.

Now the competition was great. The facilities were awesome. There were a lot of college coaches there. It was just not a good experience from our team's point of view.

oiler_pride

Reaction score
This is the 2nd year my teams have played in Scenic City. Excellent Showcase/Tourny. Lots of colleges from Florida to Akron and everything in between were there watching our games. Chattanooga is a softball city. Warner Park and the Summit of Softball are 2 of the nicest complexes you will play at. The competition is always unreal playing Southern teams.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Heard alot of nice things about faciltys and quality of competition there.Id say the fall event would fare better for Ohio teams ,from the Ohio teams results and our lack of time on the fields.Congrats to Cincy Static 98 blue,and Ohio Ice Purple for winning records in there pools.Price on this event 900+ 6 gms

Strohbro

Reaction score
The competition, facilities and college coaches there is just great! Depending on the game times there is a lot to do in the area as well. There were 115 college coaches there Thursday through Sunday. Saw major D1 coaches there Friday night at 9:00.

fanandfun

Reaction score
DD's 16u team played all of there games at Warner Park and I thought the tournament was very well ran. A few times our field was behind due to time + finish the inning format but nothing major. The competition was top notch (they were in a super pool) & I'd compare it to when she played at PGF Nationals in California. There were a TON of college coaches (Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi State, UAB, Iowa, Michigan, Akron, just to name a few that I saw at our games). Her team had no problems with the fields at all, all were well groomed & lined. The bleachers all had shade nets over them which was nice, so did the dugouts. There were separate areas for college coaches to sit and watch and they had a trainer on staff (one of my daughter's teammates actually had to see the trainer for a deep cut that needed stitches -so it was nice to have one on site). The facilities were great - washrooms with running water and concessions, t-shirt vendor and other vendors. Parking was fine- nothing too crazy. I highly recommend it for those looking for exposure or great competition.

manitoudan

Reaction score
My kid played there one fall. Coaches everywhere . Great complex . Got to play on UT Chat's field which is crazy nice for a mid major .

Reaction score
Absolutely top notch in every way. Especially if you are in a super pool, high level college coach exposure is as good as it gets. Facilities are awesome, competition was incredible, SEC recruits on most teams. Highly recommended if you want to face the best at a great venue.

larrybowman

Reaction score
My DD team played all 6 games at Jack Mattox fields. Very nice facility, fields were only re lined once but that didn't bother anyone. My DD team was the 16U open, so the college exposure wasn't huge like the 16U Super bracket. There were some DII, and small DI with some DIII mixed in here and there, so there were coaches wandering around. The only thing I didnt like was the 20$ per person fee. Although if you break that down from the 6 games you got its not that bad. Great facility, Lots of Vendors, and nice concessions. I'm not sure if I would want to go back or not? Personally I just hate the drive, but the Tournament was run very well. My DD team didn't play as well as they could have, but that's on them. Girls still played hard to the end of each game, and as a parent It was nice to see them buckle down and fight the whole time. No one gave up, no bitching, no complaining... just great team work together. Really They all learned something in this tourney, so it was a positive experience. Ughhhhh the drive...... 9 1/2 hours....I guess if that's the only negative it was a good weekend.

Lester

Reaction score
Was good. I'm a parent this go round... we are 12u, played up in 14u. Got whomped once. Had a top level coach, let's say it was the Mrs from the big TN school, watching our pitcher. She texted the night before and showed up for the entire game to watch her. Pretty cool. Saw several other D1's and a mix of others.

The "Summit" ball park is very nice. Had good umps and it was hot. The event was as good as expected.

Catcher17

Reaction score
This was definitely one of the best tournaments we have been to in the several years of travel ball. Great facilities, great competition, and good umps. We had no problems with the schedule other than a late change that wasn't communicated but caught in time. The $20 entrance fee is steep but I was over it in 5 minutes. DD's team was in the Super Pool and played at Warner Park. Games were close in time so not a lot of waiting around. It was HOT tho. All sun and temps in the high 80's. Us northerners aren't used to that heat. Thankfully the bleachers had awning roofs over them. Would recommend for sure.

Softball Addict

Reaction score
I agree it was a well ran showcase tournament with very nice fields. My daughters team Ohio Ice Purple played all games at Camp Jordan. We saw lots of small school coaches at our fields, but we never seen any Div 1 coaches. If our team was to do it again I would only go if we were playing at the Summit, or Warner Park. (Just my opinion) There was so many good teams at Camp Jordan, and so many talented softball players that did not get seen just because they were not at those 2 locations. Idea.... Maybe have each team play 2 games at each location that way all teams would get seen not just some. I mean we are all paying the same to get in the tournament, and all parents paying the $20 pass for the weekend which didn't seem bad why can't all girls be given a chance to play at the better fields where all the coaches stayed, and walked around. Overall competition was great, and we had a blast! Going 5-1 made the 9 hr drive a little better too lol

Outwork

Reaction score
@softballaddict

most high caliber showcases want all the top teams in the same quad of fields at the same time to make it easy on the coaches to see multiple games at one time without having to drive from complex to complex. That is why the Superpool had their games at Warner so that all the so called top level teams were in one place. I'm not saying your team isn't deserving because I don't know your team but I'm guessing if you continue to do well, the tour I directors will move you to the good fields to appease the coaches- it's all about the college coaches at this level- what is best and most convenient for them so they come back every year. It's better for them to have a quad of five fields all with gold level teams at one location (with 75% of the players on those fields being D1 caliber) that way the coaches know which fields to see most bang for their buck to ensure the players they are looking to recruit are playing the competition they need to truly evaluate them. That's why you see different levels of coaches at the different fields

Thorny74

Reaction score
The Miami Valley Xpress 98 Gold won their pool in the 16U Open and represented Ohio by making it to bracket play on Sunday. They made it to the final 8 teams before falling to the team that won it. Great venue, quality competition, decent showing of college coaches and plenty of down time to enjoy.

Softball Addict

Reaction score
@ outwork

totally agree... Sorta thought that was what was going on. I hope our stats, and schedule this year helps us get to the other fields next year. Our team is half new this year with new great coaches. We have never done this tournament before. We have always done Laser Nation, since my daughter has always been on a Laser, or Ohio Ice team. Thanks for the information :) Nice job Miami Valley Express!! Way to represent!! Ohio Ice Purple was 5-1 and tied for first in our Open Pool. We got knocked out due to head to head loss to Missouri in a 5-4 loss. Very proud of our girls, and was Proud to represent Ohio also.

freddieball

Reaction score
All the parks have great facilities. The super pools at Warner and Summit is where all the big D1 coaches hung out. But quite a few coaches at Jordan and Mattox fields as well. But really though if a coach wanted to see your daughter it did not matter where they played, they were going to show up. There is no doubt the Firecrackers 14u team had a stud pitcher that could go to any D1 school she wants probably throwing 63-66mph and she played only at Jordan and Mattox fields in open pool F.