Fireworks Frenzy Umpiring

Linedrive21

Reaction score
Nothing worse than lazy disinterested umpires working a competitive 12u tournament.
No hustle on the base paths, out of position on calls at the bases and standing straight up not even bothering to get into the slot to call balls and strikes.
Nuff said.

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
Nothing worse than lazy disinterested umpires working a competitive 12u tournament.
No hustle on the base paths, out of position on calls at the bases and standing straight up not even bothering to get into the slot to call balls and strikes.
Nuff said.

FYI I would like to say North Royalton requires Explosive to use the other alphabets umpires. These were not my umpires.

Linedrive21

Reaction score
Warren, no worries...it was readily apparent from the beginning that you would never be associated with a group such as these...

6and22dad

Reaction score
Also very suspect in the 10u division in Strongsville this weekend. Lazy and not interested probably describes it best.

VE_05

Reaction score
Sounds like some umps from 10u saint marys..

dominic21

Reaction score
Frenzy 10u umpires where more interested in grabbing a beer at Mulligans after the championship game than actually calling a good and consistent game. At the end of an inning and the kids are walking off the field not knowing what just happened and the coaches are looking at each other clueless too, that pretty much sums it up. Bad way to end a good round of softball played by the girls.

Linedrive21

Reaction score
3 of our games at the 12u Frenzy featured 2 of the worst teamed partners I have witnessed in a long time.
Lazy, slow, disinterested, a total could care less attitude, the 1 behind the plate would not even bother to get down in the slot thus he couldn't see, much less correctly call any low pitch inside or outside and when he raised his arm to signal strike it never rose above his waist.
His partner on the bases, equally as inept, failed to hustle and get himself in proper position to see the tags at 2b because he was walking towards the play as it was being made rather than already there and set.
Take the money and run ...used to be the title of an old Woody Allen film, now it's just a metaphor for umpires who worked the Frenzy this past weekend

6and22dad

Reaction score
Wouldn't know anything about St. Mary's but my guess would be that you probably would get similar umpires at a C class Rec tournament which is what St mary's is. Nothing against that because every tournament has it's place and every kid should have the opportunity to play. My issue is that this was a big tournament. Not Rec and nobody was there trophy hunting a Rec tournament. Everyone was expecting to get what they paid for which was good softball decided by the kids, not lazy umpires. We play a lot of games and we aren't elite but we hold our own most of the time. In fact most of the time the other team doesn't need help from umpires to beat us but it was pretty poor this weekend.

reagansdaddy

Reaction score
I was at the 12U Frenzy tournament as well. It really was something to have a guy try to call balls and strikes while standing straight up! I couldn't believe it! Saw him call a runner out at the plate on a tag play on Friday - he never moved an inch and didn't bother to take his mask off for the play. He was equally bad on the bases because he simply refused to move. Saw him call out a girl at second on a tag play from about five feet off the first baseline which is all he had moved on a ball hit to the fence in the gap. It's really past time for someone to have a conversation with this guy about hanging up his chest protector or limiting himself to lower level games. It was made somewhat worse on Sunday because he was paired with an umpire who was not much better.

However, we did have some really good umps as well. The young man and lady working field 5 on Sunday were excellent. Moved well and communicated constantly. Hope these two stick with it because they have the potential to be outstanding umpires. We also had a plate ump on field 1 on Saturday who was excellent. Big zone but was consistent with it throughout the game and was constantly hustling behind the plate.