removal from game

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastBat

Reaction score
What coach has made the right call in a game 100% of the time? With no history of this situation, it would be hard to make a judgement. Take it easy on yourself coach!

Last edited:

6and22dad

Reaction score
What coach has made the right call in a game 100% of the time? With no history of this situation, it would be hard to make a judgement. Take it easy on yourself coach!

Thanks FastBat.....I'm okay with my decision. I make questionable calls all the time like pulling a pitcher in the middle of an inning when they are struggling to hit spots or giving up some bombs or pinch hitting a batter when I see a better matchup. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I guess it must be different if it's a position player. One thing that I will always do as the head coach is take responsibility which is why I put my name and organization out there instead of hiding behind a screenname. The OP is a rather observant passer by to notice that the girl didn't re-enter. Coincidence? I wonder if they noticed that she continued to be in the batting order for the remainder of the game and forgot to ask if that was bad coaching as well? At any rate, I thank all for the kind texts and comments that I've received since this blew up in the last 24 hours. You all know who you are and you are the second reason why I do this. The kids are the 1st regardless of what some may think.

coachjwb

Reaction score
While I still have a hard time thinking about the circumstances that would make doing this OK, I appreciate the coach coming on here and identifying and trying to explain himself without saying anything negative about the player. I made many mistakes over the years in my coaching career, and I certainly understand it does happen. I got a thumbs down on my earlier post and that's OK, but if you go back and read it, I did condition it by stating things like "if that was the only reason", and I still stand by what I said. But I know I looked like an ass a couple of times over my coaching years as well, but that doesn't make me or this coach one.

I think this thread should be locked before it evolves in saying anything more about the player. Thanks again coach for coming on and taking accountability.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
The thing that coaches and the girls sometime forget is that we are performing in public in a small community of people who have a vested interest for or against us (That sounds a bit paranoid - doesn't it? )
My daughter was shocked the first time some one she didn't know came up to her and said "yea you play for X I saw you at Y tournament..." -

This is the reason as coaches we must try to be above scrutiny and remind the players that people are watching and some are just waiting for them to screw up.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
If I wrote what I wanted to say, I'd be put in suspension by the administrator...... 10u being coached by an Olympic head coach, legend in his own mind I'm sure.......

10-u people ..... 10-u

wow

Reaction score
At 10U its about getting experience and learning. How many times in life have we made mistakes? You have to stay in the game to learn and grow. Is there times to take a kid out yes. However its 10u. The other side of this situation is the coach has to make the best decisions and being a Monday morning quarterback is EZ for everyone behind a computer screen. I am sure the coach has learned from this and will take away what he will. I always feel there is a lesson somewhere in 10U each week.

backstop09

Reaction score
My daughters' 10U years were a LONG time ago, but - what were the 3rd baseman, left fielder and shortstop doing that an overthrow of second base from right field allowed a runner to go from first to third? Sorry, but pulling a 10U kid from playing defense in the middle of inning is degrading, humiliating and just plain wrong.

FastBat

Reaction score
I got a thumbs down on my earlier post and that's OK, but if you go back and read it, I did condition it...
I received a thumbs down myself on the post below. I too was trying to add a few thoughts about the situation.
On one hand I dislike it, on the other hand, I understand. Something very similar happened to my dd when she was 9. At the time it hurt her (and me), but it taught her a valuable lesson; when you get an opportunity to play, give it all you have, you may never get that opportunity again. She is a tougher player for it today. That lesson she learned on the field applies to life, too.
As a parent, I was trying to teach my dd to deal with disappointment, to understand no one is perfect, and try to "find the good" in a tough situation; like being taken out of a game. I certainly can't protect her from all the world's unpleasantries, but I can give her the tools to deal with them.

SoftballFan11

Reaction score
Without knowing the entire story, I still am unable to agree with this coaching decision. It's 10U, they make mistakes. Back in my playing days, I was in an 18u tournmentv playing on a set of quad fields. Our 3rd base fielded a ball, came up to throw, and her throw landed in front of the shortstop on the other field. Never in my life had I seen a throw like that. Honestly it was hilarious and we still joke about it today. My point is that if an 18 year old can throw onto another field, and the best players in the world can over throw 1st on a routine play, and they don't get pulled, I think we can allow a mistake here and there from a 10U player (as long as the reason she got pulled was the mistake). I think coaches tend to forget that they're coaching humans, young girls to be exact. They won't be perfect and won't always be in a good mood, because they're kids and kids have bad days (kind of like adults do but nobody pulls us off the field when we're having an off day). It's just a game, y'all, it's meant to be fun.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Steve Sax anyone??? And I think that was from second base too.....

VE_05

Reaction score
From my side of the fence... and I do coach.... I dont pull my girls in the middle of an inning unless it's pitching and they have scored 6++ runs. Just how I coach and everyone is different and this situation is different.

Although, my daughter, who normally plays first and bats 1-3 on our team, got a 1 game suspension, batted last, and had to earn her position back earlier in the year due to an attitude adjustment she needed to make. Some parents said it was a little rough but they all respected what I did and she changed her attitude. Just my short story about it

Last edited:

coachjwb

Reaction score
Scioto ... that was basically my philosophy though I didn't have a set number of runs ... but pitchers only ... the only exception to that was that a handful of times when I made a pitching change, I might also remove a fielder to put a pitcher in their defensive position, or do a double switch to affect the batting order. I did it less than I would have liked to because it seemed like every time I did it that the fielder who came out would take it personally even when I would explain to them what I was doing and why. They were without question good strategic moves for the team, but it just wasn't worth having the position players and their parents upset about it most of the time. Most parents and players don't seem to appreciate good lineup management by their coaches. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.