Coaches drinking between games.

chixdad

Reaction score
Just wondering about others thoughts on coaches drinking in between games? DD has never been on a team that it happened but we have friends that are dealing with it. I'm not saying I'm against drinking, just want opinions.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Only if the game before is one day, and the game after is the next day ...

:)

Run26

Reaction score
No! I've seen it but don't think it's acceptable and would probably say something. Save it for the hotel parking lot

Rocket8

Reaction score
When the games are over for the day. But drinking while you still have games left for the day and you (coaches) are responsible for the safety and well being of your players not a chance. The moment the girls are back to their parents for the day/night then you are free to do what you want. But also remember these great young ladies are always watching how their coaches behave on and off the field.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Absolutely NOT! Not okay at all! As a coach we are role models for these young ladies on and off the field. We are responsible for their safety when they are at practice and playing during games. I treat my girls like they are my own kids. I don't want some knuckle head drinking and trying to lead my daughter. Besides parents pay a lot of money for their DDs to play competitive ball and as a parent I sure as heck wouldn't want my Daughter playing for a coach that thinks it's ok to drink in between games.

FastBat

Reaction score
Only acceptable at the end of the day, after all the games are done.

VE_05

Reaction score
My opinion is its not acceptable anytime you are around the girls. I do not drink and have no problems with ANYONE WHO DOES DRINK. I do, however, feel that the girls look up to us as coaches all the time. If you do happen to be getting a little tippsy at the hotel, then you might do or say something you shouldn't.

This is my opinion and that is all..

Reaction score
Never with a game remaining to be played that day...in fact, an 8:00 game could be trouble for the coach who is still up pounding beers at 1:30 AM. Many of us have heard those safety presentations at work about how long alcohol stays in the system and that your body takes about an hour for each .01% BAC to be filtered out. So, if you are at .18% at 1 AM....guess what...you are still over .08% at 8 AM. Yeah...legally drunk! Too drunk to drive!
There are plenty of other times to have a nip...when the safety of the girls is on the line, when your time to be a role model is on the line, when the job you are doing for which these parents are paying a lot of money...when that is on the line...no booze. EVER.
If you feel like you NEED it between the games, then we have a different situation on our hands and I wish that coach and his/her family the best of luck. There are many programs out there to help that person. IMO, you don't NEED it at that hour. You are better than that, coach.
Put the can down, and step up and be a good role model for these young girls. They are very impressionable right now, and they will do what they see! Remember that!
cz

GreenDog

Reaction score
I don't see how there is any question. You are the captain of the ship. Coaches set the tone for the whole unit. Players and parents. You have to deal with tough decisions, umpires, kids and the problems that kids have. There is just too many things that can go wrong from this and I just do not see any justification. If you want to be that guy then don't take the responsibility of being the coach. The coach has to be the one that shows the girls that those games and their well being are of the most importance. How does a guy with a can of beer in his hand deliver that message in the way that it should be delivered?

WalkOffHR

Reaction score
Holy cow this a no-brainer. No way is this acceptable by a respectable organization/coach.

Random thoughts

If the coach is drinking in public he is breaking the law.

A coach should behave as if he/she is working at their job. Zero tolerance rules, like drinking, drugs and sexual harassment apply here too.

High school coaches and college coaches can't drink between games, why should a travel coach be any different?

Lastly, if a coach feels the need to day drink between games I question his real motivation. It seems partying takes precedence over the task at hand, which is to improve the team and set a good example.

Parents pay a lot of money and extend a lot of trust to coaches. Coaches that create a weekend long party atmosphere around playing in a tournament tells me that perhaps their priorities aren't quite in line with what is in the best interest of the kids.

Heck I've pulled my kids out of organizations simply based on the embarrassing behavior of parents at the hotel at night. Getting smashed in the hotel lobby and having the police show up is not the type of environment that I wanted my kids to see. In fact, it's exactly that type of thing that softball is supposed to shield them from during their teenage years

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
been on a team with this problem, and it is BAD.
there is no way this should ever happen. it leads to a totally dysfunctional team, with no leadership, and no respect for the coach by the kids.
it is just wrong in every way. and as czfastpitch stated, never ok to pound so many at night that you are still messed up in the morning, whether you think you are or not. have one after retiring to your hotel or home, heck, have two, i have no problem with that, but don't expose your players to this problem. you'll lose in the end.

Run26

Reaction score
I think this issue is getting better though. It used to be a common occurrence. Can you imagine being a TB coach and proxy between your players and a college coach and the coach smells booze on you. Oh brother - talk about a bad first impression.

GeneralsDad

Reaction score
I think many assumed the worst scenario. I think there is a huge difference between pounding beers at the park, and having a drink with a late lunch/early dinner on a long game break.

SOFTBALLS14

Reaction score
Website
www.mvxpress.com
NO room for alcohol at anytime while the team is playing that day!!
You, as a coach represent the organization, the Players, and there parents!
Besides being a role model for your players! It should NEVER happen while your at the fields or between games!
You have to represent those players to college coaches at any time a coach could walk up to you to talk about a player! Why take a chance!!
You could ruin a players chance to get recruited. Save it for the hotel or home when you are done for the day !! JMO... :cool: But cant it wait?!

Uber_jones

Reaction score
It's not a good idea and I don't think drinking has a place in youth sports lol

I don't drink in front of my team ever, it's just my personal thing. After tourneys out to dinner as a team, in the Lobby with the parents I drink water.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
I don't even see how it's possible... A couple of brewski's between games, and I'd be looking for the porta-potty every two innings. #OldManProbs

(P.S. It's also wrong on many levels. How is this "Being in it for the kids" ?)

kelbot

Reaction score
Obviously, a huge red flag if you've seen this happening. No excuses. If your alcoholism is such that you can't make it through the daylight hours and/or obligations without feeling the need to drink, then go to a meeting and for god's sake quit coaching. You're not equipped to mentor young people.

Now that I'm off my high horse, I was at a tournament (privately owned park) where beer was sold. After a particularly thrilling/exhausting/depressing loss, the thought of grabbing a cold one did cross my mind. :p

larrybowman

Reaction score
There is no place for it when you have games that day. This is of course my opinion, and I do have a beer or two in the lobby of the hotel with the other dads. There is nothing wrong with that, I think some folks might be thinking these coaches are drinking a case a night. I would hope that is not the case, if so find something else to do besides coach. Personally, my DD travel coach DOES NOT drink in between games, and I for one appreciate that. BTW neither do the assistant coaches, great group of gentleman leading the girls, as it should be. Drink afterwards and have one for me!

jdcii

Reaction score
I personally do not see an issue with a coach having a beer between games. Now let me clarify, is this break only one game in between or does this cover the span of many hours? Pounding beers and drinking a beverage are two different scenarios all together. If I am so sensitive about my daughter seeing a coach drink a beer, which I assume will be disguised by the red solo cup and she wouldn't know that it was beer unless someone told her, then I clearly have not done my job as a parent. Facts are, alcohol is not illegal if the person is of age and one drink isn't going to impair most people. To think you are saving your daughter from PTSD because she witnessed the coach drink a beer is the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board.