Daughter doesn't want to play school ball so.......

bigdaddyo1972

Reaction score
So my daughter has decided that she doesn't want to play school ball this coming season. Last year she was a freshmen in high school. She started to play softball when she was 9 and we've had numerous conversations about her playing school ball. Now that she there it's a big disappointment, she lost a bunch of confidence last year almost to the point she didn't want to play any more as in none at all.
So there's a little back story on why she doesn't want to play school ball. Now to my question are there spring leagues that take place the same time as school ball? I would say just work out with her pitching coach during that time but her pitching coach is the pitching coach for the high school so she'll be busy.

Thoughts? Ideal?

Louuuuu

Reaction score
Thought 1 - if she doesn't want to play, make sure your don't try to force her.
Thought 2 - Rec/Travel basically hibernates during HS season.
Thought 3 - Find another pitching coach, but don't advertise the fact that you're doing it.

Honeybadgerdontcare

Reaction score
I believe there are HS age tournaments in PA during school ball season, you could try to find a team to play with over there during that time frame. Since you are in Cincy, maybe check KY or IN as well.

FastBat

Reaction score
Not to put any pressure on you, I'm just trying to give a different perspective. But, if she doesn't play school ball, do you think she will regret it when she is older? Do you think this feeling is just temporary? Is it possible it was a long summer and she just needs a little break? You can't get these years back once it's over, it's over. Each season goes so quickly, so maybe she just needs to give it another try? Plus, she will be bigger, faster, and stronger this year. The dynamics of a team never stay the same. Good luck!

Last edited:

lewam3

Reaction score
So my daughter has decided that she doesn't want to play school ball this coming season. Last year she was a freshmen in high school. She started to play softball when she was 9 and we've had numerous conversations about her playing school ball. Now that she there it's a big disappointment, she lost a bunch of confidence last year almost to the point she didn't want to play any more as in none at all.
So there's a little back story on why she doesn't want to play school ball. Now to my question are there spring leagues that take place the same time as school ball? I would say just work out with her pitching coach during that time but her pitching coach is the pitching coach for the high school so she'll be busy.

Thoughts? Ideal?

Why did she lose confidence? did she play varsity or JV? was the Coach a jerk? is she a better player now? So many variables, right?

daboss

Reaction score
The details are thin but I'll take a moment to share some thoughts and considerations on the general question that a young lady has decided she doesn't want to play school ball and why wouldn't she, I just don't understand? I am a man and it sometimes is difficult to talk about women without sounding stupid, sexist, or both. Let me share anyway and see if you can understand me by ignoring these facts and look for the message.

Many girls have a different view of things when it comes to high school sports. I had an experienced Dad of girls and long time coach once tell me that;
1. Freshmen girls want to make varsity,
2. Sophomore girls want to start varsity,
3. Junior girls want to win it all,
4. Senior girls are in it for the awards.

Don't judge me but think about this and ask yourself, is this where I am with my daughter and could this be the reason for her not wanting to play?

The culture shock of going to high school can be devastating to some/many young women. The added pressure to succeed at everything can be overwhelming. You need to handle this carefully or the resentment can be damaging to your relationship with your daughter. The fear of getting cut is suddenly real as girls are no longer protected within their own age group or class participation. Now coaches have 4 years worth of talent to choose from at the high school level. Girls are seldom groomed to accept a lesser roll. Sitting the bench is a hard pill to swallow for both kids and parents.

Boys seem to accept their roll as a back up much easier than girls. Boys understand that reserve is simply another step to possibly reaching the varsity goal. Many girls witness others going straight to varsity due to the lack of numbers even participating and consider reserve as failing. Parents need to be proactive to instll the need for reserve programs, the opportunities they can create, and how bench sitters can be active participants towards a total team effort. Simply making the team is a reward of its own! Few varsity starters treat the back up players poorly. Just the opposite, they support them when they are put in the game. It is still part of the bonding experience of team play. Parental attitude to support regardless of their daughter's roll is crucial. In many cases can mean the difference in the entire program being successful.

Normally the stress factor ( from beinbg considered a failure ) comes from others not participating at all. They belittle the girls to get them to lessen their involvement to allow more time to do things they have an interest in. Drinkers and drug users rely on dragging others down to their level. Be on the alert to peer pressure from questionable sources. New friendships of others displaying life styles not conducive to your own beliefs should be a red flag to parents. Why is she all the sudden making new friends and ignoring others she has enjoyed being around for years? I mention this because of my previous statement that if she doesn't want to participate anymore, what are her plans with her newfound extra time.

If your daughter gave it a try as a freshman and realized she simply doesn't have the same drive or level of skill needed to make the starting 9, she may choose to hang up the cleats and try something else. To this I say okay. If she plans to quit and not have a plan for her extra time she'll now have, perhaps it is time for the parent to objectively reconsider how you are handling things at home and lower the bar of expectation. Maybe she sees it and you don't get it. Buy into supporting her ----------- truly supporting her at whatever she can contribute to the overall team effort. Even if that means she makes the team and doesn't get to do anything but pinch run a few times a season. Maybe it will change her attitude. Be there every game to witness the moment. Cheer her and her team to the end. Allow her to be accepted for who she is. Give her the moment that travels by so fast to enjoy her high school experience without adding to the drama that'll be present ------- or the pressure to be more. She's going to keep her memories forever. Strive to make as many as possible positive. It will help her accept her years growing up and time with her parents in a positive light. Remember; it is not a ship sailing away forever as many will reward you later with grandkids that'll give you another chance!

Enjoy the ride instead of stressing over the perfect storm.

bigdaddyo1972

Reaction score
Thought 1 - if she doesn't want to play, make sure your don't try to force her.
Thought 2 - Rec/Travel basically hibernates during HS season.
Thought 3 - Find another pitching coach, but don't advertise the fact that you're doing it.

I'm "NOT" going to force her into playing, she has a real love for the sport and I would hate to see that change.

I had that same thought about another PC

Last edited:

bigdaddyo1972

Reaction score
Not to put any pressure on you, I'm just trying to give a different perspective. But, if she doesn't play school ball, do you think she will regret it when she is older? Do you think this feeling is just temporary? Is it possible it was a long summer and she just needs a little break? You can't get these years back once it's over, it's over. Each season goes so quickly, so maybe she just needs to give it another try? Plus, she will be bigger, faster, and stronger this year. The dynamics of a team never stay the same. Good luck!

Her idea of not playing school ball started mid season last year. The girls on the team were not welcoming at all and she didn't like the coach he didn't seem to have a whole lot of confidence in her fielding or pitching but he would hit her every game.
Her school is a D2 school that has won a state title and been to state almost every year. I hate the idea of her missing out on the opportunity of winning a state title in softball and having that experience.

Stedman00

Reaction score
First, off if she doesn't want to play, don't force her. BUT if she does want to play at the next level, she needs to be prepared to explain to college coaches as to why? Regardless of reasons, it raises flags.

HS ball is very different than travel. BUT in the some aspects very similiar. If she was good enough to make JV, as a 9th grader, she should be honored and motivated to work harder. I can tell you from watching my DD go thru the 9th grade process last year, it is not easy. I watched many girls walk out of the gym on cut night, that were very good ball players.

Bottom line - it is the coach's sand box, either adapt and learn to play where needed and when asked, OR don't play. Not trying to sound harsh but that's the reality.

bigdaddyo1972

Reaction score
Why did she lose confidence? did she play varsity or JV? was the Coach a jerk? is she a better player now? So many variables, right?

She sat on the bench more than she played Which in her mind he doesn't have any confidence in her. The JV coach was kind of a jerk to the players according to her, to me he seemed like nice enough guy. Most of the team were sophomores with a few freshmen and the sophomores got most of the playing time. She's a pitcher and first base, she got to pitch in a hand full of games and he allowed her to play first for one inning in the season because she asked him if she could. After that game he when on a tangent about "just because you made the team doesn't mean your guaranteed playing team. Which I get that I believe she has to earn the right to play a position but when the sophomore at first is missing ball after ball???

Reaction score
She sat on the bench more than she played Which in her mind he doesn't have any confidence in her. The JV coach was kind of a jerk to the players according to her, to me he seemed like nice enough guy. Most of the team were sophomores with a few freshmen and the sophomores got most of the playing time. She's a pitcher and first base, she got to pitch in a hand full of games and he allowed her to play first for one inning in the season because she asked him if she could. After that game he when on a tangent about "just because you made the team doesn't mean your guaranteed playing team. Which I get that I believe she has to earn the right to play a position but when the sophomore at first is missing ball after ball???

We have a short, chubby, bald guy as our high school coach. One of my favorite saying to my daughter is "Don't let anyone, especially a fat, short, bald guy ruin your love for the game." I know it's hard for them, but it will teach them lessons that can be applied later on in life. Don't let anyone trample your dreams or put out the fire in your passion.

And for those who are offended by my lack of political correctness, I offer no apologies. He is short, he is fat, and he is bald...and sometimes he is an ass.

jtdo40

Reaction score

My Daughter was told by her 12U coach to "never play the game again because you will not be good enough". A 14 U coach told my Daughter her "change up will never work against the big girls". In High School as a freshmen she did not pitch one game, but was included in the batting line up every game. Her high school coach told her as a freshmen "she was not a pitcher". As a Junior my Daughter pitched in the OHSSA final 4, had an excellent season in summer and has verballed to an excellent D2 program. Looking back, the "coaches" that told her She couldn't have played a key role in her development.

bigdaddyyo1972, if your Daughter wants it bad enough she will erase the negativity displayed toward her through her actions in the circle. She will have heart, respect toward others, mental toughness and a passion for the game that many others will not and it will be partially due to those "coaches" who told her she can't. H.S. ball is special, I am glad the "coaches" did not take the game away from my Daughter, because it is one hell of a life lesson.

bigdaddyo1972

Reaction score
The details are thin but I'll take a moment to share some thoughts and considerations on the general question that a young lady has decided she doesn't want to play school ball and why wouldn't she, I just don't understand? I am a man and it sometimes is difficult to talk about women without sounding stupid, sexist, or both. Let me share anyway and see if you can understand me by ignoring these facts and look for the message.

Many girls have a different view of things when it comes to high school sports. I had an experienced Dad of girls and long time coach once tell me that;
1. Freshmen girls want to make varsity,
2. Sophomore girls want to start varsity,
3. Junior girls want to win it all,
4. Senior girls are in it for the awards.

Don't judge me but think about this and ask yourself, is this where I am with my daughter and could this be the reason for her not wanting to play?

The culture shock of going to high school can be devastating to some/many young women. The added pressure to succeed at everything can be overwhelming. You need to handle this carefully or the resentment can be damaging to your relationship with your daughter. The fear of getting cut is suddenly real as girls are no longer protected within their own age group or class participation. Now coaches have 4 years worth of talent to choose from at the high school level. Girls are seldom groomed to accept a lesser roll. Sitting the bench is a hard pill to swallow for both kids and parents.

Boys seem to accept their roll as a back up much easier than girls. Boys understand that reserve is simply another step to possibly reaching the varsity goal. Many girls witness others going straight to varsity due to the lack of numbers even participating and consider reserve as failing. Parents need to be proactive to instll the need for reserve programs, the opportunities they can create, and how bench sitters can be active participants towards a total team effort. Simply making the team is a reward of its own! Few varsity starters treat the back up players poorly. Just the opposite, they support them when they are put in the game. It is still part of the bonding experience of team play. Parental attitude to support regardless of their daughter's roll is crucial. In many cases can mean the difference in the entire program being successful.

Normally the stress factor ( from beinbg considered a failure ) comes from others not participating at all. They belittle the girls to get them to lessen their involvement to allow more time to do things they have an interest in. Drinkers and drug users rely on dragging others down to their level. Be on the alert to peer pressure from questionable sources. New friendships of others displaying life styles not conducive to your own beliefs should be a red flag to parents. Why is she all the sudden making new friends and ignoring others she has enjoyed being around for years? I mention this because of my previous statement that if she doesn't want to participate anymore, what are her plans with her newfound extra time.

If your daughter gave it a try as a freshman and realized she simply doesn't have the same drive or level of skill needed to make the starting 9, she may choose to hang up the cleats and try something else. To this I say okay. If she plans to quit and not have a plan for her extra time she'll now have, perhaps it is time for the parent to objectively reconsider how you are handling things at home and lower the bar of expectation. Maybe she sees it and you don't get it. Buy into supporting her ----------- truly supporting her at whatever she can contribute to the overall team effort. Even if that means she makes the team and doesn't get to do anything but pinch run a few times a season. Maybe it will change her attitude. Be there every game to witness the moment. Cheer her and her team to the end. Allow her to be accepted for who she is. Give her the moment that travels by so fast to enjoy her high school experience without adding to the drama that'll be present ------- or the pressure to be more. She's going to keep her memories forever. Strive to make as many as possible positive. It will help her accept her years growing up and time with her parents in a positive light. Remember; it is not a ship sailing away forever as many will reward you later with grandkids that'll give you another chance!

Enjoy the ride instead of stressing over the perfect storm.

daboss thanks for your impute

Last edited:

FastBat

Reaction score
He is short, he is fat, and he is bald...and sometimes he is an ass.
I'm certain about one thing, I wouldn't let /\/\/\this guy squash my dreams. She has 6 months, she should eat, sleep, and breathe softball; practice, practice, practice! Champions are made in the off season! Be so good, you can't be ignored! It's not about playing time, or what she deserves, or what she thinks she deserves, sometimes it's about being a team player.

heater

Reaction score
I am opposite of what many on here have said, I made my daughter play HS ball her freshman year. She wanted to play club volleyball like she did the year before. She also plays basketball. I told her that her freshman year she needed to experience all three sports as you just don't know what the coaches will be like, what the girls on the team are like and what the environment will be like. She reluctantly did what I told her and she started every varsity game in softball. She also got a letter in basketball but never seen the floor in varsity volleyball. After the softball season finished she came to me and told me SHE wants to focus on trying to play softball collegiately. What I am trying to say is that you as a responsible parent know what is best for her. If the coach was treating her unfairly you know it. Deep down we know where our kids rank on certain teams. I wanted my DD to start varsity basketball, but as I looked at it realistically, she would not have made the team better. YOU know what is best for her, follow your instincts. I agree with others on here that say don't let last season dictate what happens this season. Seniors are gone and she will be a stronger, faster, more knowledgeable player. She will be happy that she played. You cannot get these next 3 years back. Good luck and let us know what happens.

GeneralsDad

Reaction score
I can't relate to the school ball side as our experience was completely different. We did go through a similar situation with a very strong travel team. The coach set his plan of improvement and expectations. We followed perfectly. DD was still lower in the order, and rotating in the outfield. At the end of the season we considered leaving and had "the conversation" with the coach. Long story short, he said to make his job easy. Outwork everyone in the off season. Be head and shoulders above your competition. She stayed the course, and the rest is history. She used her circumstances as fuel to improve. Over the next 3 years others projected what she could and could not do. Again she used it to push her, not hold her back. Along the way she has learned her only limitations are the ones she imposes herself.

I used the word "we" often in my response for a reason. Often parent's, in this case me, reflect our own wants and often unrealistic expectations on our kids. When they see us upset over playing situations, they will mirror our behavior. It took me a while to figure this one out. I am thankful my DD figured it out before me. At the end of the day don't look for reasons to quit. Look for reasons to succeed.

Fairman

Reaction score
Be very cautious here. I suspect that this is more of a social problem here than a softball problem. Girls (and Boys) can be mean and especially to the new kid and more so if that new kid is a threat to their playing time. To be in such a strong program and get any time field time as a freshman must mean something positive for your dd.

We play so few games and have such limited access to training facilities in this region that makes the opportunities offered by high school ball very important into development of a player even if they aren't a varsity starter. If she decides not to play this spring for her high school she'll also lose access to the team off-season practices, the coaches, a catcher etc... . She'll have a difficult time to catch-up and worse, will always be an outcast to the social aspects of the team. Since the program has had some success at the state level any college coach will want an explanation to this red-flag. This wouldn't be a problem if she is throwing 60mp with spin, location and 3 great breaking balls in her arsenal. (but if she was preforming at that level, she wouldn't be on the shelf at high school)

I'd encourage her to try one more season and see if her experience improves; a sophomore is a different experience that a freshman. It would make a huge difference if she could make a few good friends on the team to help her through the social maze. Good Luck

bigdaddyo1972

Reaction score
Be very cautious here. I suspect that this is more of a social problem here than a softball problem. Girls (and Boys) can be mean and especially to the new kid and more so if that new kid is a threat to their playing time. To be in such a strong program and get any time field time as a freshman must mean something positive for your dd.

We play so few games and have such limited access to training facilities in this region that makes the opportunities offered by high school ball very important into development of a player even if they aren't a varsity starter. If she decides not to play this spring for her high school she'll also lose access to the team off-season practices, the coaches, a catcher etc... . She'll have a difficult time to catch-up and worse, will always be an outcast to the social aspects of the team. Since the program has had some success at the state level any college coach will want an explanation to this red-flag. This wouldn't be a problem if she is throwing 60mp with spin, location and 3 great breaking balls in her arsenal. (but if she was preforming at that level, she wouldn't be on the shelf at high school)

I'd encourage her to try one more season and see if her experience improves; a sophomore is a different experience that a freshman. It would make a huge difference if she could make a few good friends on the team to help her through the social maze. Good Luck

I also believe it's a social problem and not just the coach. The sophomores were stand offish with my daughter and that hurt her feeling because she didn't feel excepted. And my thought was that some felt that she was a threat to their playing time.

FastBat

Reaction score
Wouldn't she have previously known most of the sophomores? She was a freshmen in a D2 school system? That's not a huge community. Was she new to the school? The first year of any new school is going to be a challenging year. I hope she continues playing, I doubt she will regret it. Good luck!