Fire in the sky and stingrays overlap

sunny11

Reaction score
It looks like Fire in the sky and stingrays overlap in 2017. Am I reading the schedule correctly?

sftball follower

Reaction score
Looks like the 56 teams that accept stingrays will miss FITS unless someone changes dates

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
Looks like the 56 teams that accept stingrays will miss FITS unless someone changes dates

Stingrays has always been the weekend following the 4th of July just as Best of the Best has always been 4th of July weekend. For some reason, FITS moved their dates.

Teams will set their priorities and schedule accordingly. I don't think either tournament will suffer.

wannaplaysb

Reaction score
We have done both!!they are special in our memories for the same reason. They are great tournaments! Doing all things the right way!!

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the next 3 years the 4th falls in the middle of the week......so kind of up to how Orrville has their festival........

wpaguy

Reaction score
-Thanks for bringing this up . The way I read it Fire in the Sky is Wed-Fri 7/5-7/7 and Stingrays is Fri-Sun 7/7-7/9 ? Assuming you get selected for Stingrays , How do you decide ..cant do both ? Also Battle of the Burgh could end up the same weekend, I could only hope they move up 1 week. Looking for opinions from board , if you had a very good 13u team would do Stingrays or Fire in Sky ?

coachjwb

Reaction score
As noted above, Fire in the Sky is done in conjunction with Orrville's annual July 4th festival, and it just happens to be in the middle of the week this year. I assume Joe doesn't have much say on when that festival takes place, though no doubt a good share of the success of the festival is tied to all of the people being in town for the tournament.

Keep in mind that you have to apply for and be accepted into Stingrays, and that it is very difficult to get in. I don't have the data, but my assumption is that most 13U teams don't even get in unless they're from a high profile organization, had a very successful 12U season, and beat some other high profile teams along the way.

There are pros of each tourney, arguably the two best in Ohio and even the Midwest region each year. If I had a team whose goal it was to get players recruited by college and I could get into Stingrays, I would probably have to go there, but I would hate the thought of missing out on Fire in the Sky.

wpaguy

Reaction score
As noted above, Fire in the Sky is done in conjunction with Orrville's annual July 4th festival, and it just happens to be in the middle of the week this year. I assume Joe doesn't have much say on when that festival takes place, though no doubt a good share of the success of the festival is tied to all of the people being in town for the tournament.

Keep in mind that you have to apply for and be accepted into Stingrays, and that it is very difficult to get in. I don't have the data, but my assumption is that most 13U teams don't even get in unless they're from a high profile organization, had a very successful 12U season, and beat some other high profile teams along the way.

There are pros of each tourney, arguably the two best in Ohio and even the Midwest region each year. If I had a team whose goal it was to get players recruited by college and I could get into Stingrays, I would probably have to go there, but I would hate the thought of missing out on Fire in the Sky.

Jeff, just want to check am I misreading this . I thought Stingrays has a 13u division aka Futures : Anyway hard to pick , was planning on doing both
14U Premier Division games @

Hilliard Municipal Park (8 lighted playing fields)
3800 Veterans Memorial Drive
Hilliard, OH 43026

14U Futures Division games @

Pickerington Central Softball Complex (4 playing fields)
300 Opportunity Way
Pickerington, OH 43147

coachjwb

Reaction score
I'm sorry ... you're probably right about this ... I believe the format for Stingrays has changed in the past several years since I was helping my team apply for it, and it's probably "easier" for a 13U to get in than it used to be. With that being said, I know it's still not easy to get in and I stand by my thoughts. For those who have been in the Futures division, are you seeing a lot of college coaches at those games, or are they focusing more on 14U-16U?

cronk

Reaction score
The Orrville Firefighters Association 4th of July festival dates are based on the availability of the amusement company that we use, along with our fireworks provider.

The Fire In The Sky tournament, which will run from July 5-8 in 2017, is the centerpiece of our annual festival and is strongly supported and enjoyed by our local community, as evidenced by the large crowds in the park.

We apologize for any confusion but, as you can see, there are a number of items that must be considered when determining our festival and tournament dates.

Thanks

EKocur1

Reaction score
Unless I am seriously mistaken, the 2017 Battle of the Burg will be taking place the weekend before Fire in the Sky

SOFTBALLS14

Reaction score
Website
www.mvxpress.com
College Coaches focus on the players that contact them! Those players that go to camps & invite them to tournaments.
They don't go to Stingray's to "Shop" for players. So it doesn't really matter which tourney you attend. If you contact the coaches they will come!!
No matter which tourney you go to!! We where at the College Exposure, Midwest Firecracker in Carmel, Ind. last summer.
We played teams from Calif., Mich., Ill., and Indy. , On the same weekend as both of these tourneys.
Where we had over 25-30 coaches from the Midwest Colleges, Big10, Horizon, MAC teams and lots of others. From D-1 to all the others.
The coaches are out there and so is the competition! Just need to let the college coaches where YOUR Players are!!

That has been my experience from all the players that have been signed while I have been coaching travel ball... :cool:
So talk to your team and find out which they would rather attend & go from there.
ITS NOT THE TOURNEY IT IS THE PLAYER THEY ARE LOOKING FOR!! .... JME :cool:

wow

Reaction score
Stingrays is where the coaches go because its where the best teams with the best players are. Its a matter of centralizing travel for coaches and they can see as many kids in one shot. Fire in the sky is not about collage coaches as much as it is about the fun, atmosphere, community coming together to see softball.

Both of these events are very solid tournaments and its kinda disappointing teams will have to choose. I understand there are logistics involved however someone should look at moving one of the events. Having to choose means the kids, yes its about the kids, will miss one or the other.

ificanbelikeu

Reaction score
Apply for Stingrays, don't get accepted go to Orrville. Win win......

EKocur1

Reaction score
I can confirm The Battle in the Burg is indeed the weekend before Orrville

Davemy

Reaction score
Website
auntrosiestournament.com
14U should still be about having FUN! Fire in the SKY has become a Destination Tournament! Every weekend does not have to be about recruiting and showcasing!!
When your players are older they will remember Fire in the Sky Tournament way more than Stingrays at 14U.
There are so many Great Destination Tournaments! I Love Pittsburgh!! If you're not from WPA, you should Travel and do Battle of the burgh! It's a FUN City!

Dave Myers
Aunt Rosie's TD

sunny11

Reaction score
I know that my daughter will only have 2 years to play in Fire in the sky. It was the most fun our family ever had at a tournament.