How do you know your teams not going to make it?

sunny11

Reaction score
I am wondering how you know when your team is in trouble. How long do you wait for your team to get enough girls? Did you spend all fall playing with subs just to field a team?
There are some top organizations looking for players. Everyone knows pitching and catching are at a premium.

sunny11

Reaction score
Every age group is full of top organizations looking for players. When you look you see Beverly Bandits, Ohio Lasers, Ohio Classics, Doom, Valley Extreme, Valley Storm and many more. All of these organizations play the best schedules and against the best competition. I guess the point of my post is if you're a very good player on a team that doesn't have enough players; how long are you going to wait to see what else is out there? What opportunities are you missing out on staying on a sinking ship?

lewam3

Reaction score
When the HC doesnt answer texts, doesnt respond to emails, or his cell phone goes to voicemail...

Fairman

Reaction score
Once we showed up to our winter practices to find 5 high quality pitchers but no short-stops, outfielders or even a catcher.......
Our starting right fielder was 6-0 and could throw underhand at 62 but wasn't so good in the outfield. My dd even played short (pitcher) one weekend.......

The Head Coach over recruited pitchers and forgot that there were 8 other positions and maybe we would need to hit too.
Survived the season and all 5 pitchers went onto play in college; in-spite of never winning a second game on Sunday that season from _ell.

Big trouble

MILEYSDAD

Reaction score
I think if you're worried enough to start a thread like this... its time for a conversation with the head coach to see where he/she is at in the process of fielding a team. Might be time to start looking.
I hope it works out well for you Sunny - your girl's a heck of a player. I'm sure a lot of teams would be happy to have her.

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
I am wondering how you know when your team is in trouble. How long do you wait for your team to get enough girls? Did you spend all fall playing with subs just to field a team?
There are some top organizations looking for players. Everyone knows pitching and catching are at a premium.

If you are at 7 or 8 players this time of year you may be in trouble, but if you are at 9 or 10 and just looking for one player no problem you have 6 months. jmho

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
This is a good example of how communication can effect your team.
I have seen where teams had a full roster in September but the coach did not communicate well or they had uncommitted families and lost players from October to March so they had to plug holes in the roster for spring/summer events.
I also know of teams with 7 in January that merge with another team of 6/7 (and it happens generally this time of year). Sometimes it works out, most times it is a complete disaster.

Teams could be "ok" looking for that number 11 or 12 lady this time of year depending on current roster strength. At 14U and above a team can have a couple involved in school activities that causes them to miss some fall/winter weekend events requiring subs put that on top of a girl or two down and parents could be pushing the panic button if there is not good upfront communication. If you have 10 but you see in fall practices/events that the talent does not match the projected schedule this too can become an issue by the time you get into spring/summer play.

We always did a meet the team night in the beginning of September that laid out the coaching staff, team expectations/goals, roster, fall/winter tournaments/games, projected summer events, fees, fundraisers etc. If its January and you still do not know the majority of your teammates, summer events, fees etc. that is an issue.

It sounds like your coach had the team entered in fall events (that is a plus), do you have an idea of summer schedule? If you are playing in local summer events this opens up the window a little as far as finalizing the roster.

Lots of factors to consider before jumping ship...What type of events is the team looking to compete in? How many players are you lacking? What positions are you looking to fill? Number of quality pitchers?

If you used several guest players for your fall events was the team informed that these ladies may be trying out for the team or were they committed to a team with an off weekend?

I would suggest contacting the HC and inform them of your concerns. If you do not have a good feeling that the coach is being honest with the status of the team it may be time to look elsewhere before you are on the outside looking in or playing a summer where the team is non competitive with a revolving door of players.

sunny11

Reaction score
I think I might not have made clear the idea of my original post. My daughters team has enough girls, but they need pitching (just like everyone else in 14u on up). I was hoping to get some of the families that are on marginal teams to think about their situation. I believe the consensus is there are too many teams. Her team is playing a crazy competitive schedule and they don't have enough pitching. I know there are top flight players on teams that either won't make it, or will end up filling the roster with less than ideal players.

lewam3

Reaction score
I think I might not have made clear the idea of my original post. My daughters team has enough girls, but they need pitching (just like everyone else in 14u on up). I was hoping to get some of the families that are on marginal teams to think about their situation. I believe the consensus is there are too many teams. Her team is playing a crazy competitive schedule and they don't have enough pitching. I know there are top flight players on teams that either won't make it, or will end up filling the roster with less than ideal players.

Your DD's team is just gonna have to score tons of runs this summer...

FastBat

Reaction score
I think if the team isn't deep in pitching, even the best team could possibly not do well going into Sunday play. I think that's what separates good from great teams, having fresh pitcher's on Sunday afternoons, that makes a team very special! You may still have a solid team with only two pitchers, that team just may not play very far into Sundays.

Fairman

Reaction score
If your dd is a pitcher and you don't have enough pitching (at least 3 reliable pitchers with maybe an extra just in case of injury or vacations)
That is trouble with a capital T. Much worse than not enough innings is too many! She will be overused, will not be pulled when struggling and will run the risk of serious injury. These injuries from overuse will require at a minimum of extensive rest which no one will give her and she will be weaker at the end of the season than the beginning.

Find or make another pitcher or find another team.

SOFTBALLS14

Reaction score
Website
www.mvxpress.com
Defense is the best Offense ..Sounds like this could be your seasons motto ;)....
Hey also, don't wait on the coach to go find one ... If you have a solid team and need a pitcher start talking to the ones you know. Cant hurt the worst they can say is No. Then your still in the same boat. But help the coach help you.
Good Luck!! :)