Batting Leaders

number5

Reaction score
With the end of the High School season coming near, who are the batting leaders in the state for the top 2 categories of Home Runs and Batting Avg?

EDGE MARCHINY

Reaction score
I would have to say Jenna Robbins from Springfield Northwestern is in the top for hrs 13 of them

DJB11

Reaction score
Carly Wagers of Williamsburg has 22.

I would say that Rachel Lewis from Lakota East is equally as impressive because her 11 HRs came against a more difficult D1 schedule.

Sycamore junior Jessica Fehr's .625 average against D1 pitching was a very good season as well.

Last edited:

21 Rocks

Reaction score
Korina Murphy of Stebbins had a .655 average in the GWOC

alborules

Reaction score
Website
www.thesoftballzone.com
The Northern Lakes League in the Toledo area has 3 pitchers verbally committed or signed to play at D1 colleges. The top 2 hitters, Kayla Wulf and Kelsey Uhl, are hitting HR's and for average. These stats from 5/11/17 and each has hit more HR's in the past week:

5-11-17 Stats.jpg

MaddKennaMax

Reaction score
IMHO most H.S. stats are useless because about 95% of scorekeepers in H.S. do not do it correctly. They score almost everything a hit. I would argue that if it was done properly by everyone there would be maybe 10 girls statewide that actually bat a legit 600. It also depends on who they play, You can play a crap schedule and pump up stats like a champ as well.

Stedman00

Reaction score
IMHO most H.S. stats are useless because about 95% of scorekeepers in H.S. do not do it correctly. They score almost everything a hit. I would argue that if it was done properly by everyone there would be maybe 10 girls statewide that actually bat a legit 600. It also depends on who they play, You can play a crap schedule and pump up stats like a champ as well.

I've personally witnessed dropped balls in the outfield, show up in official stats as hits. Not diving plays or extra effort either, I'm talking camped under the high pop out, hits glove and is dropped, being recorded as a double.

MaddKennaMax

Reaction score
I've personally witnessed dropped balls in the outfield, show up in official stats as hits. Not diving plays or extra effort either, I'm talking camped under the high pop out, hits glove and is dropped, being recorded as a double.
Yep. I see it all the time. Stuff like that is why I place no stock in High school stats. Happens more often than not. Of course I'm also not a big fan of the political nature of some post season awards either. Seems like we are going to the everybody wins crap.

wow

Reaction score
Yep. I see it all the time. Stuff like that is why I place no stock in High school stats.

HS is a blast for these kids. For many of them its the only chance to play with their friends. But a majority of the pitching is not stellar. Plus you have to consider strength of schedule and conference. Take Hoover HS their schedule is loaded with top teams and solid wins. The pitching they are facing have multiple D1 commits. Now take a less quality school and the type of pitching they see, cant name any names but take a sub .500 team and first round loser in states OSHAA turney for example. Its simply not apples to apples. Everyone does not play at same quality.

What is a better stat is the BA of the pitcher of opposing's team vs the teams BA they are facing. I bet the delta on that is night and day!

Lets not even get into the hit vs error debate.

MaddKennaMax

Reaction score
HS is a blast for these kids. For many of them its the only chance to play with their friends. But a majority of the pitching is not stellar. Plus you have to consider strength of schedule and conference. Take Hoover HS their schedule is loaded with top teams and solid wins. The pitching they are facing have multiple D1 commits. Now take a less quality school and the type of pitching they see, cant name any names but take a sub .500 team and first round loser in states OSHAA turney for example. Its simply not apples to apples. Everyone does not play at same quality.

What is a better stat is the BA of the pitcher of opposing's team vs the teams BA they are facing. I bet the delta on that is night and day!

Lets not even get into the hit vs error debate.
agree completely!

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score

Kind of ironic that a post about bogus stats contains a bogus stat...

There is a greater than 99% chance that your 95% statistic is 100% made up! :p

Yes, high school stats can be misleading. But unless you've somehow managed to evaluate some large number of different high school scorekeeper's work for accuracy, then your 95% statistic is just a number with a "%" symbol stuck on the end of it to make it sound authorative.

MaddKennaMax

Reaction score

Yes, high school stats can be misleading. But unless you've somehow managed to evaluate some large number of different high school scorekeeper's work for accuracy, then your 95% statistic is just a number with a "%" symbol stuck on the end of it to make it sound authorative.
Sooo. You have proof that my stat is made up (it is btw) :) ? Yes it was in fact an off the cuff remark. However, in my experience with HS softball. The vast majority of scorekeepers do not know how to correctly score a book. They do not know the difference between a legit hit and an error. That is why I really place no stock in HS stats. It is all in the eye of the scorekeeper and add that in with competition level that is in no way equal it makes for a lot of misleading stats.

wow

Reaction score

Ok the numbers are made up and the point is well taken. However Max has a premise. Folks are overly concerned with stats in general. I don't know of a kid who was offered a college position because of a stat. They are great for the local papers. I was glad to hear you agree that "HS stats can be misleading". Just don't think the folks running game changer all on the same page with how to score it, and if its the coaches wife.. Look out. Everything is a hit!

Stats should be kept by independent parties the same way umps are hired for a game. No way the fox guards the hen house...

Someone just PM me. Its like the coach's calling their own balls and strikes.. Ha ahanah thought that was funny

Last edited:

MaddKennaMax

Reaction score
Ya know. I reread this thread and my comments. While I do stand by them, I realized that this is not the proper thread to post them in. For that I apologize. I was not meaning to belittle the girls in any way. They should be commended for their accomplishments. I know all too well how hard they work at their craft and I do want to send out a sincere congratulations to all the players out there for their hard work and dedication to this sport.