Pitchers who show their weakness (by wearing a mask).

Finesse04

Reaction score
Matt,
That was very scary moment. Our pitcher was treated and released from the Children's Hospital later that afternoon. She is feeling ok, other than a headache. Thank god for the mask. We took a look at the mask and the ball mark would have been right around her temple. It shook both teams up for the reminder of the game.

Reaction score
My DD was playing in a 12U game this weekend and a teammate of her's absolutely smoked a ball at the head of the third baseman who was playing equal to the base. The girl did well to get her glove in between the ball and her face and even caught the ball. Had she not gotten her glove up and had she not had the mask on that she did it could have been a very bad situation. As a father of a pitcher who has a pretty good fastball and with how good the bats/hitters nowadays are, letting your DD into the circle without a mask is simply ignorant and negligent. My daughter has used one since she was 9 so she's used to it at this point and luckily for us, never fought it. Somethings simply come down to the parent being the parent and making the decision for the child.

I think there are many times where governing body's of sports oversteps their bounds, ie the NCAA, ie the NFL, NBA, MLB and so on. I fully believe however, that here are times though where it's up to those said governing bodies to rule in the favor of player safety and save the players from themselves. Such legislation coming down from the top on down would set a standard for the youth of today that it's not a matter of ego/pride but safety, and when they see their favorite players wearing those masks it will have a positive impact on those players.

Last edited:

Indiansummer11

Reaction score
My daughter's 10u team had a girl pitching against them for the second time this year and she didnt wear a mask either time. I dont get why a parent would allow this. Nothing good will come from not protecting your 9, 10, 11 yr old.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
We had the same discussion in Whitehall this weekend. The umpires were surprises to see girls not wearing facemask. Everyone in the discussion agree that all players should be wearing facemask.

Then the point about College Coaches believe it shows weakness came it the discussion. We started talking about this very thread.

I see absolutely no reason a players can't wear a facemask.

Bullbuck

Reaction score
My niece took one off the mask a few weeks ago while pitching at the 16U level. She is still battling the effects of the concussion.

If she had not been wearing the mask, I don't want to think about the injuries she could have suffered.

Lucky it was during travel. Her high school coach won't let pitchers wear a mask. Can't show "weakness." i guess she is okay with showing foolishness.

google1

Reaction score
Just curious... Why do some/most tournaments enforce a "no jewelry" rule?? Isn't this mostly for "safety"? Uhmm... seems to me that if a tournament will enforce a "no jewelry" rule for "safety" they should require pitchers to wear a mask. I'd be more concerned about a line drive back at the players face than weither or not she's wearing a bracelet! Just my opinion...

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
Matt,
That was very scary moment. Our pitcher was treated and released from the Children's Hospital later that afternoon. She is feeling ok, other than a headache. Thank god for the mask. We took a look at the mask and the ball mark would have been right around her temple. It shook both teams up for the reminder of the game.

Speedy recovery and I am glad that she is feeling relatively better, but that is something that will stay with me for a long time!!

Reaction score
Just curious... Why do some/most tournaments enforce a "no jewelry" rule?? Isn't this mostly for "safety"? Uhmm... seems to me that if a tournament will enforce a "no jewelry" rule for "safety" they should require pitchers to wear a mask. I'd be more concerned about a line drive back at the players face than weither or not she's wearing a bracelet! Just my opinion...

The tournament my daughter played in last weekend required all pitchers to wear a mask.

Reaction score
Last edited:

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
my niece took one off the mask a few weeks ago while pitching at the 16u level. She is still battling the effects of the concussion.

If she had not been wearing the mask, i don't want to think about the injuries she could have suffered.

Lucky it was during travel. Her high school coach won't let pitchers wear a mask. Can't show "weakness." i guess she is okay with showing foolishness.

then her high school coach should never be allowed to coach ball again!!! That is sheer stupidity.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
AGAIN, IF A NATIONAL STANDARD OF CERTIFICATION FOR THE STRENGTHS REQUIRED FOR A FACEMASK, i.e. JUST LIKE FOOTBALL AND BATTING HELMETS ARE CERTIFIED, I BELIEVE THERE WOULD BE MANY MORE ORGANIZATIONS (ASA, USSA PGF, ETC.) THAT WOULD MANDATE THEIR USE, SINCE THIS WOULD RELIEVE TO SOME DEGREE THAT ORGANIZATION FROM LIABILITY IF THE MASK WERE TO FAIL. IT'S TIME THAT THE SAME BOARD THAT CERTIFIES OTHER SAFETY EQUIPMENT IN OTHER SPORTS ARE LOBBIED TO SET UP A NATIONAL CERTIFICATION SYSTEM FOR FIELDERS MASKS IN SOFTBALL.

Last edited:

Kenshields

Reaction score
Up to the player? Maybe when she is old enough to pay bills and make educated decisions. My 10 year old doesn't get to make life choices. Perhaps when they donot live under your roof/rules anymore....but until then, it is NOT up to the player.

lewam3

Reaction score
Up to the player? Maybe when she is old enough to pay bills and make educated decisions. My 10 year old doesn't get to make life choices. Perhaps when they donot live under your roof/rules anymore....but until then, it is NOT up to the player.

Chronic headaches, permanent face and lip numbness, titanium plates, false teeth, blurred vision, face shifted 3mm. That's the reality of a comebacker to the maxilla and orbit. It will also set you or your insurance 10-15 thousand dollars. So... make it your daughters choice? Make it your coaches choice? Once it happens the damage is done.

Fairman

Reaction score
The coaches and the school districts will be singing a much different tune after a parent/player (or several) collects damages from a coach personally and a school district for an injury that the player suffered because the coach had forbidden or even discouraged the use of a fielders mask.

This will happen; so if you are a coach that has discouraged or not allowed a face mask then you had better revisit your bias before it bites you in the butt.

Fairman

Reaction score
My niece took one off the mask a few weeks ago while pitching at the 16U level. She is still battling the effects of the concussion.

If she had not been wearing the mask, I don't want to think about the injuries she could have suffered.

Bullbuck
I would never let my dd pitch in any game without a mask, period. Please consider going to the Coach/AD/Principal/Superintendant/School Board to get is Coach's policy changed. If you can get another pitcher's parents to participate then your position will be greatly strengthened. If all the pitchers participate then the coach would have to buckle.

As a coach: I had a skilled 12 year old second baseman take a line-drive off of her face and we had to wait a week until the swelling went down to see if she was going to loose the vision in that eye. She was standing 90' away from the batter. If she had been wearing a mask she would have avoided 3 major surgeries and she wouldn't have lost multiple seasons only to eventually leave the game without ever playing in high school. She is 27 now and still suffers from that injury.

I regret it to this day.
Fairman

Last edited: