Scarlet letter

sittingonthebench

Reaction score
What would you do if one of your two pitchers left you at Nationals ? Mom says that because of minimal communication during a rain delay that she was taking her DD and leaving and now won't return uniforms and still owe organizational fees. She obviously was looking for an excuse but the word commitment can't be in her vocabulary. The organization did their job by putting together a good schedule and showcasing their daughters ability and her teammates did their job by supporting her when balls were leaving the park. Now Dad says he's contacting a lawyer because they are being harassed to return uniforms and pay the balance of fees.
The solution, coaches band together and don't pick this kid up because until the coaching community puts a stop to this type of behavior it will continue. The Scarlet Letter.

DOOM STRONG #9

Last edited:

jpkeating

Reaction score
This threat has potential to be the next big train wreck on this forum.
The thing I cant figure out is why would any team or org for that matter allow someone to still owe team fee's at the last tournament of the year?

manitoudan

Reaction score
Prob be best to handle this privately. Even though the gripe may be very legit . Calling out individuals by name is risky .

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hYbM90F.gif

Reaction score
I disagree, if I was a coach I'd want to know who these people were so I didn't waste a roster spot on them. Quitting on your team is by far the worst thing you can let a kid do.

I can't imagine any reason, outside of child safety, that anyone would leave a team high and dry, especially at Nationals. Are you kidding me?!$

What a terrible lesson for that kid. I'm sure these parents think she was good enough they didn't have to pay because she's playing for Florida or Oklahoma.

#PitchersParentsAreCrazy

manitoudan

Reaction score
Names can be given privately . There is a young lady to consider here as well, maybe she didn't want to quit and the adults decided for her . ( I've seen it happen )

Reaction score
So give the parent's names then, the coaching community would be greatful.

I do feel sorry for the kid, you can't pick your parents. But I can tell you if I tried to pull my kid she'd tell me to go away...not exactly in those words either.

wow

Reaction score
The thing I cant figure out is why would any team or org for that matter allow someone to still owe team fee's at the last tournament of the year?

Agree here. Something is afoul. Still owning money at nationals? Contacting a Lawyer? On what merit? Two sides to every story. Coaches talk thats for sure, however there is a lot of bad info out there. Kids don't need to be hurt because of the parents poor decisions. Not a taking a side just think there is a lot more to the story.

ATsofball

Reaction score
I won't weigh in on the entire story here, but I do know this particular athlete and have worked with her for a few years now. She's been nothing but hardworking, respectful and an overall good kid when I've had her (at least once a week for two-plus years now). I don't think it's the proper place to get into a war of words, and I won't speak to the other things brought up on this thread (it becomes a he-said, she said situation), but I've had nothing but positive experiences with this athlete and her family. I would welcome her on a team I coached any day, she's talented and focused. She was also one of the top pitchers in her conference and led in several categories, absolutely competitive. Again, only my personal experience working with her, but I've spent the last 24 years of my life involved in softball in some capacity, from select ball to college ball to coaching; so I've definitely seen and heard a lot!

FastBat

Reaction score

I thought the same thing. How is it possible anyone still owes fees as late as nationals???

Just for anyone new to softball, for the most part, team fees are usually due December/January. That includes nationals. Maybe they didn't add those fees?

lewam3

Reaction score
Judging by the stack of Pink, black, blue, gray, gold, white jerseys and pants that are piled in some box somewhere.... I can't recall any team where uniforms had to be returned at the end of the season...

steve77621

Reaction score
Sometimes there is this thing called karma that comes back to bite you in the a$$, Didn't you have another pitcher earlier this year? What happened to her? I heard from 3 different people that she never got to pitch so she left? I even had a college coach that i know tell me that they were at a tournament looking at girls and when they showed up to see her pitch that she wasn't put in? I wasn't there so i don't know, but it sounds like what goes around comes around?????????

wow

Reaction score
Judging by the stack of Pink, black, blue, gray, gold, white jerseys and pants that are piled in some box somewhere.... I can't recall any team where uniforms had to be returned at the end of the season...

So what you are saying is my kid should have turned these back in after the year is done? Think of the saved laundry!

Run26

Reaction score

My kids played for DOOM and at no point did either of them have to return the uniforms. Actually, they've never returned a uniform to any travel team - ever. Now if they were ever to sub then yes they would have been required to return. I also know DOOM was very efficient at gathering fees well before nationals. This isn't some fly by night organization and Tim wouldn't stand for it.

IDK, something smells funny and I doubt the brass at Doom digs this call out by the OP very much

Doom Leader

Reaction score
Not sure who posted this on here? In all my years of coaching I have never had a player leave my team at nationals, and for no reason at all???? It's over time to move on. There are reasons why the fee's where not paid up and that's between the parents and me. Doom players do not turn in uniforms, the uniforms are for players to keep. The Gold team has fall uniforms, they are used in the fall then turned back in to me, these uniforms do not cost players a dime.
This player was treated like any other player I have ever coached if not better, great kid and player. But when parents make bad decisions and leave a team without there best pitcher it tends to make 13 other family's a little upset.
As far as a post saying a college coach was there to see a pitcher play and I never put them in is just plum crazy, been doing this a very long time and this would never happen.
Run 26 thanks!
Time to move on!!

Tim Gregory
Cincy Doom

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
What would you do if one of your two pitchers left you at Nationals ? Mom says that because of minimal communication during a rain delay that she was taking her DD and leaving and now won't return uniforms and still owe organizational fees. She obviously was looking for an excuse but the word commitment can't be in her vocabulary. The organization did their job by putting together a good schedule and showcasing their daughters ability and her teammates did their job by supporting her when balls were leaving the park. Now Dad says he's contacting a lawyer because they are being harassed to return uniforms and pay the balance of fees.
The solution, coaches band together and don't pick this kid up because until the coaching community puts a stop to this type of behavior it will continue. The Scarlet Letter.

DOOM STRONG #9

First off why just two pitchers? Especially; at a National? We always had 3 in season and if needed would use one of our ladies that pitched for their HS to make a 4th.
Sounds like mom was looking for a reason to bail...Our nationals were always a drive 4 or more hours away with hotel stays so she may not have wanted to pay for a hotel.

Uniforms should be the players but, if they did not pay their fees they should have not been invited to the last few events anyhow. (Last thing a coach needs is a team that thinks they are paying the way for a player)...Especially; if as you suggest she was a batting tee with balls leaving the park on a regular basis.

A lawyer is a waste of time, There really is no binding contract in travel ball on either end....

Your last sentence...
Never will coaches or organizations ban together when it comes to problem players or parents, and they should not...When issues arise it can be a learning opportunity for both player/parent and team. Over the years I have seen many teams roll the dice on players that may come with baggage because they may help them win regardless of past history if, they are decent....
I myself took a chance on a player that everyone said stay away from...She played for me for three years and we never had an issue....

Last edited:

wow

Reaction score
lawyer is a waste of time, There really is no binding contract in travel ball on either end....

That's so true. Its a handshake between two parties to do what's in each others best interest. Both should be committed at the same level.

I myself took a chance on a player that everyone said stay away from...She played for me for three years and we never had an issue....

So many of these "Problem players" are personality conflicts or strategic differences with parents and coaches. Sometimes its not a good fit. Just like relationships in the real world, or a job, or friendships. The key is not to make it personal and walk away gracefully thanking everyone for their time.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Sometimes there is this thing called karma that comes back to bite you in the a$$, Didn't you have another pitcher earlier this year? What happened to her? I heard from 3 different people that she never got to pitch so she left? I even had a college coach that i know tell me that they were at a tournament looking at girls and when they showed up to see her pitch that she wasn't put in? I wasn't there so i don't know, but it sounds like what goes around comes around?????????

Why the hell would a college coach talk to you about a player and not the coach/parent or player?
Could it be the truth may be stretched a little here..... If a college coach is interested in a player they generally communicate with the the player, parent and coach or team affiliated coach. Not someone that happens to meander by....Unless you are saying you are a coach of the team in question....I hope you are not connected with the college team in question...

Last edited:

steve77621

Reaction score
Truth not stretched at all, player is a friend of mine who plays at a different age. we were in north ridgeville for sheers madness and i believe they were at a showcase at victory park that same weekend and several college coaches were going back and forth and one coach that was there talking to me about one of my players said she just came from there so I asked if she saw this player because I knew they were interested in that school and that's what I was told.

Last edited: