What is important to you in a 10U/12U tournament

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
Here are my thoughts

1) You must have 2 umpires per game including pool play. (The kids deserve that at any age)

2) At least 4 game guarantee

3) Good individual awards the kids love them at this age

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
At 10 u age group I would personally give up two umpires a game during pool play and maybe even Bracket Play with the exception of Championship games if my team was giving more games. Just bases on my personal experience two umpires a game is great and yes everyone wants two umpires, but are they really needed. I've watched 100 of 10 u game and I've only see a very few game that I believe a bad call or missed call would have change the outcome of the game.

I believe more games is very important at this age groups and from my personal experience two umpires aren't really needed.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At 10 u age group I would personally give up two umpires a game during pool play and maybe even Bracket Play with the exception of Championship games if my team was giving more games. Just bases on my personal experience two umpires a game is great and yes everyone wants two umpires, but are they really needed. I've watched 100 of 10 u game and I've only see a very few game that I believe a bad call or missed call would have change the outcome of the game.

I believe more games is very important at this age groups and from my personal experience two umpires aren't really needed.
As mentioned - 2 Umpires ARE A MUST!!!!
Many times when given more games - the times are shortened. I would much rather pay an extra $20 per game to have a 2nd Umpire.
There is one group who are offering 1 Umpire games, yet charging more money per game for 10U then the older divisions. How is that fair or right???

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com

I believe more games is very important at this age groups and from my personal experience two umpires aren't really needed but would be nice.

We did play a lot at 10/12U with leagues and tournaments most every weekend spring, summer,fall but we had four strong pitchers. We had to play up however in some events because a lot of the other teams lacked pitching at both age ranges. Like others have posted not sure there are many 10u games that needs 2 umpires outside of championship games.

At 10/12U it still seems like there are a lot of teams with only one maybe two "decent"pitchers. I would think 5 games max at 10U per weekend Sat/Sun play would be good.
The key is getting 5 games with good competition. It dosent do a team any good to play 5 games and 2 are against teams that do not have pitching to get a ball over the plate and the worst thing a coach could do it get young players in bad habits swinging at anything close.

I would say my top 5 (in no specific order) would be.
1. 4-5 games a weekend with good competition...$400 (or less) unless a National birth is on the line.
2. No Friday play for 10U. No games starting after 9pm for 10 or 12U. I remember a a championship game once at 12U that was scheduled for Sunday 8am after finishing our last game at midnight the night before.
3.Individual awards 1st through 3rd, t-shirts, dog tags, small plaques or trophys.
4. Correct pitching and base distance...Seems like the mega parks / tournaments struggle with this becuse they schedule all age groups on the same fields. This is an area where 1 more umpire would help to check in the pregame field/equipment inspection.
5. Line the field, batters box and pitching circle. Amazing how many 10U events have the pitching plate located in a 43' plate circle or, the field is lined before the tournament and never again.

Last edited:

Davemy

Reaction score
Website
auntrosiestournament.com
A good Concession Stand for the players with French Fries, Pizza, Hot Dogs, Nerds, Push Pops, Slushie's, Ice Cream, Popcorn and all their favorite Candy!! LOL :)

frenchy101010

Reaction score
2 umpires for all games.

Minimum 80 minutes games, would prefer 90.

Minimum 4gg

Trophies, not medals or tshirts.

Good concessions, and if porta potties are used get them cleaned a few times daily. This is the biggest thing in my opinion.

Bob_Himmelein

Reaction score
Most comments are pretty on the mark, We like to use the Gold/Silver format on Sunday, everyone plays seeded 1st game, Winners then play single Elimination for Gold and losers for Silver. Helps to give everyone a chance to play for something that counts and the second set of awards is nice. This is good at these ages, but not as good at the upper ages. Time of game, should be a minimum of 75 minutes, too much emphasis on time sometimes, games need to be kept moving.
T-shirts sales are a must, amazing to me how many are sold at each event. We try to avoid 8am starts for everyone if possible and keep 10U on one, two fields or minimum needed to minimize shifts of age groups that require moving pitching distance. Ditto for 12U.
Parents seemed more concerned about lines, batters boxes etc, than most coaches and certainly more than players, at all ages. I agree the fields should be done at least every third game, depending on weather, but would rather spend more of the limited time between games on pitching mounds. The two umpire question is always debated. At 10U, one umpire can often do the job well, it seems to have become the norm to do have two and we go with that. I have no issues if tournaments use one umpire at 10U, provided they say so upfront. We have established a policy of two umpires so we stay with it unless there is an issue of shortage of umpires, which occasionally happens at very large tournaments.

Another thing we have implemented at many of our tournaments is the 45 minute rule, if a team losing by 16 runs or more after 45 minutes, the game is ended, regardless of who is at bat. This saves the losing team a lot of tough play and allows the better teams to not waste time in meaningless innings. At 10u games like this seem to come about fairly frequently and if we just stayed with the standard rule the games would drag on into horrible play for both sides. No one wants to play 75 minutes and only play two innings and get beat 45-2. The basic theory is if you only have 30 to 35 minuets left and you are down by 16 runs, you do not have time to catch up. We have a few where games only get one or two innings or a portion of the 2nd inning in and it is demoralizing for players to just get hammered for 75-80 minutes.

I think the biggest positive for players is fans that let them play and do not make each game into Game 7 of the World Series.

Comment on the port-a-potties, we try to get the handicapped accessible, allows for not only folks who need them, but for parents with young children to take them in with them and not have to worry.

Happy New Year

WWolff

Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com

Sorry, buddy I just don't agree! ANY tournament/showcase two is a must 1oU, 12U, 14U, 16U, or 18U they all deserve it! Friendlies, or scrimmages one is fine.

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Most comments are pretty on the mark, We like to use the Gold/Silver format on Sunday, everyone plays seeded 1st game, Winners then play single Elimination for Gold and losers for Silver. Helps to give everyone a chance to play for something that counts and the second set of awards is nice. This is good at these ages, but not as good at the upper ages. Time of game, should be a minimum of 75 minutes, too much emphasis on time sometimes, games need to be kept moving.
T-shirts sales are a must, amazing to me how many are sold at each event. We try to avoid 8am starts for everyone if possible and keep 10U on one, two fields or minimum needed to minimize shifts of age groups that require moving pitching distance. Ditto for 12U.
Parents seemed more concerned about lines, batters boxes etc, than most coaches and certainly more than players, at all ages. I agree the fields should be done at least every third game, depending on weather, but would rather spend more of the limited time between games on pitching mounds. The two umpire question is always debated. At 10U, one umpire can often do the job well, it seems to have become the norm to do have two and we go with that. I have no issues if tournaments use one umpire at 10U, provided they say so upfront. We have established a policy of two umpires so we stay with it unless there is an issue of shortage of umpires, which occasionally happens at very large tournaments.

Another thing we have implemented at many of our tournaments is the 45 minute rule, if a team losing by 16 runs or more after 45 minutes, the game is ended, regardless of who is at bat. This saves the losing team a lot of tough play and allows the better teams to not waste time in meaningless innings. At 10u games like this seem to come about fairly frequently and if we just stayed with the standard rule the games would drag on into horrible play for both sides. No one wants to play 75 minutes and only play two innings and get beat 45-2. The basic theory is if you only have 30 to 35 minuets left and you are down by 16 runs, you do not have time to catch up. We have a few where games only get one or two innings or a portion of the 2nd inning in and it is demoralizing for players to just get hammered for 75-80 minutes.

I think the biggest positive for players is fans that let them play and do not make each game into Game 7 of the World Series.

Comment on the port-a-potties, we try to get the handicapped accessible, allows for not only folks who need them, but for parents with young children to take them in with them and not have to worry.

Happy New Year

The restrooms/port o let is a big and should have made my top 5. Seems most TDs get the minimum number needed or do not know how to use the sanitation calculator and click 80% women and that is for all age range events. Hand sanitizer stations or water is also big.
10/12 age group always seemed to have more parent issues than the older ages. Not sure how much TDs can do on this outside of coming up with a complaint system (Umpire, other Coaches, Spectators) to warn the coach of the team in question they may get tossed...In 14 years I only know of one team at Sluggerfest back in the Mid 2000s at Rumpke Park that was tossed and that was because almost all the parents were drunk.

Last edited:

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, buddy I just don't agree! ANY tournament/showcase two is a must 1oU, 12U, 14U, 16U, or 18U they all deserve it! Friendlies, or scrimmages one is fine.

I think the two umpires for 10 u games are only needed to keep the Coaches and Fans happy. It just a feel good thing.

I do believe at the elite level of the game in the 10 u age groups that yes your going to need 2 umpires at all times.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the two umpires for 10 u games are only needed to keep the Coaches and Fans happy. It just a feel good thing.

I do believe at the elite level of the game in the 10 u age groups that yes your going to need 2 umpires at all times.
You have professional umpires miss calls 2 feet away from a play. So a guy who never moves more than 5 feet from home plate is now in charge of making every call 60 - 80 foot away.
At least the Showdown events announced in the fall that most of their events was only going to have 1 Umpire for 10U & most 12U events. You play 2 less games with only 1 Umpire for the games you do play & they some how think making it $50 cheaper is a bargain. Well, they announced so teams can chose to play elsewhere.

But Umpiring is a very tough, thankless job - if it is a Spring/Summer tournament - make your event FIRST CLASS & give the teams 2 Umpires! Calls will still be missed - BUT at least by someone, hopefully, in position & not by someone who is further away than most of the fans!!!
I have A 10 year old Catcher who can throw girls out from her knees to 2B! What do I tell her - sorry, the guy standing behind you couldn't see the SS tag her 85 feet away???

coachjwb

Reaction score
Agree with most of the others ... I'll position it a little differently on a few of the points ...

1) At least 6 hours of playing time over the course of the weekend ... a 4gg or even a 5gg doesn't mean squat if the games are only 1 hour long ... now four 90 minute games or five 75 minute games works
2) Decent and clean restroom facilities throughout the course of the weekend ... the ones they bring in on wheels and which flush and have running water are fine, but not the old fashioned holes ... there are better options than that these days
3) If it's a national qualifier, then 2 umps for all games ... if not, 1 ump for pool games works for me as long as there are 2 for all elimination games
4) Ability for teams and families to bring in their own food and coolers
5) Definitely trophies for the players for the top 2 teams

WWolff

Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
Agree with most of the others ... I'll position it a little differently on a few of the points ...

1) At least 6 hours of playing time over the course of the weekend ... a 4gg or even a 5gg doesn't mean squat if the games are only 1 hour long ... now four 90 minute games or five 75 minute games works
2) Decent and clean restroom facilities throughout the course of the weekend ... the ones they bring in on wheels and which flush and have running water are fine, but not the old fashioned holes ... there are better options than that these days
3) If it's a national qualifier, then 2 umps for all games ... if not, 1 ump for pool games works for me as long as there are 2 for all elimination games
4) Ability for teams and families to bring in their own food and coolers
5) Definitely trophies for the players for the top 2 teams

Good stuff Thanks Jeff

1) I like!

2) Facilities usually supply, and mobile units can cost a lot I'm sure, so I suggest making sure if you have The Old-Fashioned Hole (lol as you call it), pump and clean it before every day and, and make sure to check during day for cleanness and TP

3) I don't care if it's a National Qualifier or a Regional Qualifier we owe it to the kids and the game to provide two umps, now don't get me wrong we have been places that there was supposed to have two and guy got sick, hurt, or broke down and we always understood as long as they got someone their as soon as possible. Respect the game!

4) As far as the food and water policy, I do believe that is up to the park and not the Tournament Director. We have never had a problem with it as long as we knew. Just eat your lunch in the parking lot. Make it fun a little tailgate

5) I'm open to different awards but trophies cool for 10U till they take over your house your house. lol

coachjwb

Reaction score
I definitely would want 2 umps at all games, don't get me wrong ... but just trying to recognize everything has a cost and there has to be trade offs ... e.g., while I'm not sure everyone would agree, I'd rather give up a 2nd ump in pool games and have a mobile unit vs. the port a pots.

Bob_Himmelein

Reaction score
Most tournaments do use two umpires, as I stated we do. I do not see anything wrong with a tournament using one, PROVIDED they tell everyone in advance and teams have the option of not playing in that event. This then becomes a teams choice. It is the tournaments which go with one umpire and do not tell people in advance that make me crazy.
Warren is correct, many times the TD do not have the ability to control the food and water policy. If we do, we try to make it as open as possible for folks to bring in stuff. Also, many times TD do not have the ability to determine if a gate is charged or not and the cost of field rentals vary widely; which has to be reflected in the cost.
One comment above was referring to time of games. 90 minutes is a long game and in cold weather can be miserable and hot weather exhausting. The key is not so much the time of the game, but how little time is wasted during play and between innings.
Bottom line, first consideration is that the games be fun for the players, especially at the younger age.

First2Third

Reaction score
Much prefer double elimination format at 10u, as it allows for more development opportunities. We can move girls around to different positions if every game is not a "do or die" game.

Reaction score
Website
www.playusssaohio.com
Much prefer double elimination format at 10u, as it allows for more development opportunities. We can move girls around to different positions if every game is not a "do or die" game.

I like to run some double-elim when the scenario dictates it (State/National/NIT). It lets a good team that "lays an egg" or has a steep draw in their 1st bracket game still make the big run thru the loser's bracket and maybe get all the way back to the championship.

Now the only complaint I ever get with it is the number of back-to-back games in 10u and 12u especially with teams that barely have any pitching. I understand better teams can go 3.4.5 deep on the mound, but it seems like every time I get on OFC someone is posting for more pitching especially at the younger age groups. :)