NCAA change rule on slappers ?

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
I've seen umpires be hungry to make the call. I've seen it in high school and travel and I've talked to some umpires and they say if a girl is willing to eliminate 4 feet of the balls travel to the plate and can still hit it then god bless them I'm not worrying where they're feet are unless the step on or across the front of the plate to hit an outside pitch.

God bless those kind of umpires.....

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever saw my daughter step out of the box on a slap ........ ;)

dd been called out twice on it in over 800 at bats as a 99.9% slapper... pretty sure she has pushed the envelope way more than those 2 slaps

pretty interested in seeing what happens next year.... coaches will still cry about it, might get it called on her later in the game if it is meaningless game, but umpires not calling out of the box in a close game as a game-changer play

stats_dad

Reaction score
I don't understand all of the discussion about this... seems pretty simple to me. Stay in the box. Isn't that why the lines are there?

I do agree though that it is going to be really hard for the umpires - especially ones who are by themselves.
Ha, my daughter gets called outside the box about once every 10 at bats. I film it, then raise hell with everyone at the tournament because she is not showing the video to all that will listen. Yeah, I am a real joy to be around when this happens. These weekender umps can not accurately make this call.

Doesn’t help that most umps are feeble minded and easily influenced by opposing coaches.

Last edited:

Fairman

Reaction score
This rule will can not be enforced with any degree of consistency and will drive coaches, players, parents and umpires crazy. You will see it called randomly at the beginning of the season and then fade into oblivion, where all unenforceable, brainless, and yes stupid rules go to die. Fact: An umpire at any level cannot watch the pitch and the feet of the batter at the same time, any call will be guessing at one or the other with priority being given to the pitch being hurled at the umpire.

IE: Has anyone witnessed a pitcher being called for stepping beyond the two runway lines coming off the pitcher's plate? Has anyone seen those lines after the first inning?

Run26

Reaction score
Ha, my daughter gets called outside the box about once every 10 at bats. I film it, then raise hell with everyone at the tournament because she is not showing the video to all that will listen. Yeah, I am a real joy to be around when this happens. These weekender umps can not accurately make this call.

Doesn’t help that most umps are feeble minded and easily influenced by opposing coaches.

Yea, I bet you're right about be a real joy to be around. You actually take the time to show your video to folks at a tournament? What are you the replay booth? The at bat is over........stop with the madness. Even if she did hit it - she'd probably be out anyway.

As for "weekender umps" - when do you ever run into a PGF or ASA umpire that is doing it as a full time job? Not even NFL officials are full time. They are "weekenders" too.

FastBat

Reaction score
I don't understand all of the discussion about this... seems pretty simple to me. Stay in the box. Isn't that why the lines are there?

Technically yes, but it's like getting a bigger lead off when running the bases. There's always going to be players who are a little more aggressive than others or players who are willing to push the envelope a little to get an extra jump, and sometimes they'll get away with it and sometimes they won't.

coachjwb

Reaction score
I see stepping out of the box like holding calls in football or fouls in basketball. They all happen a lot but only get called part of the time because they're so hard to see. But you still need the rules and occasional penalties or they get rampant.

Reaction score
I think this will be called a lot more for slappers stepping out of the box, in front of the plate, than it will for the slappers going too far up in batters box. Either way, it will be very tough on the Umpires.

stats_dad

Reaction score
I think this will be called a lot more for slappers stepping out of the box, in front of the plate, than it will for the slappers going too far up in batters box. Either way, it will be very tough on the Umpires.
Completely agree. Stepping out in front of plate will be a big change. The bunting technique for shorter slappers may have to be modified.