SPANO -- TIME FOR SAFETY BASES!!

jt7663

Reaction score
I don't reply much but you bring up the dollar amount as if the span dome is killing it. 33000 sounds like a ton of money,but you take out the cost of building, upkeep, taxes, insurance (property, liability, personal for idiots who like to sue people because they think they have tons of money sitting around) plus heat and electric 12 months and I bet the spans dome is probably profiting about 4 to 6 percent. So making 1600 to 2000 on tourney is probably bad investment for a person in business, most of us probably get a better return on investment from going to our jobs each day.

We had an indoor facility in Troy lasted all of three years. If you are lucky to get an indoor soccer facility ,like Action sports, to rent you an hour you are doing it at a facility that has to be subsidized by the city of Dayton and soccer plus outdoor summer leagues.

My point is it's next to impossible to make a living letting girls practice and play softball in the winter months in Ohio. The spano dome is an asset to Ohio travel ball and all the girls that get time to compete there. Hate that some girl or even three or four girls may get hurt sliding into a base. But that is the risk of playing the sport.

If people and teams stay away, then the spano dome goes out of business quite quickly. And that would be a true tragedy.

Safety is really really important, but guys do any of you remember the type of fields, outside ,we played on just 15 years ago let alone the 80s. So in the words of Dion Sanders

"Come on Man".

No connection to spano dome, other than played there a couple times. Have a great day.

You have posted many valid points. In today's world any Business has to be very concerned they will have a lawsuit filed against them. It is also quite apparent to those involved in the Travel Ball community that it's very difficult to have an indoor facility yet alone a profitable one as there are very few available. The Spano Dome is a nice option for teams to use during the "Long" winter's & it would be a shame to see it close due to a Lawsuit. For a small investment they could cover themselves & "Minimize" these injuries. Yes, there are always unavoidable injuries with this sport but this would vastly reduce one of the more common.

her mom

Reaction score
I have heard about that also. Yikes!
Ok, so great concept..... BUT never going back there. I don't even see how a place like that can be open. Lets just say I along with a crap ton of other people should send their medical including hospital and medication bills to them after attending a tournament there. I was not impressed. I can at least say been there done that and never doing it again. Again, good concept with dirt etc but not on concrete and amongst other stuff. So ticked that we went there, but whats done is done and still trying to get my family back to good health and our other team mates etc and friends. Not trying to be rude or look for arguments from others on here. Just stating my opinion and experience.

larson

Reaction score
THIS SPANO NEED TO BE CLOSED OR AT LEAST GET SOMEONE ELSE THAT CARES TO ADDRESS THESE PROBLEMS/CONCERNS.THERE IS MORE TO THIS THAN PLAYING THE GAME. OUR GIRLS NEED TO BE SAFE INSTEAD OF THINKING OF THE DOGGONE BUCK! GET IT TOGETHER!

okiedad1961

Reaction score
If it ever does ,you people whining about every little thing you don't like ,will be the the cause.And all the parents and there kids that know the value of having a facility to get better in year round,even without breakaway bases perfect environment will be lost.When any of you whinners put your money up and lively hood on the line for the betterment of the game ,let me know, I doubt we'll here from you.

larson

Reaction score
Well thats a ridiculous statement. You are making us whiners trying to look bad cause we care about children vs the ability of your kid getting better? I want to make it perfectly clear i have NO children in this program but I am concerned with safety. It doesn't cost much to update a little for not just the facility but for the safety. I am a child lover and will look for the safety of a child and it may be yours vs "HAVING A FACILITY TO GET BETTER IN". Shame on you! This is why sports are what it is! Parents with tunnel vision! Hopefully you will rethink your stupidity!

okiedad1961

Reaction score
You sure its about the children for you ?My instinct tells me your 2% following on this issue is a grasp at changing something for a feel good moment for you .There are plenty of issues to be addressed that need more attention than closing a facility .Find another topic on another site .No shame here and no connection to facility,just standing up for others oppourtunitys.

TheGame

Reaction score
I've been watching this thread and wasn't going to say anything but my daughter has been on crutches with her knee immobilized since playing at Spanodome two and a half weeks ago and will be for at least two and half more weeks. There is possibility of surgery after that. This is a direct result from trauma to knee coming down hard on the ground. All other health concerns aside, dirt over concrete is a horrible idea. Add in the other health concerns and I think this discussion is very important to anyone who cares about their daughter's health.

If that makes me a whiner, so be it.

her mom

Reaction score
I've been watching this thread and wasn't going to say anything but my daughter has been on crutches with her knee immobilized since playing at Spanodome two and a half weeks ago and will be for at least two and half more weeks. There is possibility of surgery after that. This is a direct result from trauma to knee coming down hard on the ground. All other health concerns aside, dirt over concrete is a horrible idea. Add in the other health concerns and I think this discussion is very important to anyone who cares about their daughter's health.

If that makes me a whiner, so be it.
Hi, Whiner here and proud!!!!!! :) Hope your daughter gets back to normal asap. If she cares about the game as much as my kiddo does I know this is not just hurting her knee but her heart. Good luck and here's to hoping there is no surgery needed.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Careful ladies the whining I'm talking about is closing the faculty over injuries.No one likes there child injured but closing a faculty really?.Just so you know I've seen young ladies tear an ACL in a fielding clinic ,and even my dd broke a bone in her hand fielding a hard grounder in a clinic. Not once did it go through my head they should close the facility or I should sue the instructor cause he hit it hard.This game is dangerous anywhere you play it ,all you can do is train them to slide properly ,have good fielding techniques,wear protective gear when batting and hope for the best .Its up to them to do it. Closing a faculty isn't going to change anything.

TheGame

Reaction score
Not sure who you are calling a lady and I never said anything about wanting the facility closed or say anything about suing anyone. I added our experience because I thought it was relevant to the conversation. I thought this forum was for having discussions about softball related topics and I think that player safety is a relevant topic. I agree that injuries can happen anywhere but that doesn't mean we shouldn't want safe conditions for players. The OP requested safety bases - is that really such an unreasonable request?

nwbackstop

Reaction score
How many facilities have safety bases,indoor or out?Of all the places my dd has played ,a very small percentage have them.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Time to start a new thread guess everyone needs safety bases,wasn't trying to say anybody that there a lady Gamer,prior posters sounded like moms.Ill be looking for safety bases at all the tourneys im at.I'm sure they will have a tourney volunteer fixing them after every slide.See you all there,ill be whining about the lost time fixing them lol

coachjwb

Reaction score
I think we got everyone's point here. I'm a big fan of the safety base at 1st, and it wouldn't be that costly to do that on 2 fields. With that being said, the Spano Dome has it's pros and cons ... I understand why some people don't like it, but I also know that when my daughter was playing, it was good to have an option to be playing in the winter on some dirt. Her travel and college teams both used it, and some of the teams she and I helped coach together did as well. I don't remember anyone suffering any significant injuries or having any health issues as the result of playing there. Maybe we were just lucky in the couple of hundred games and practices we were involved in there over the years, I don't know. But no reason to get nasty here about it in my humble opinion ...

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
Daughters have played 20+ games at Spano, and I personally have always disliked the place, BUT, you have to play there. At the younger levels, usually it’s a place where all the top teams in Ohio go early in the season, to size up against the competition. What teams have significantly gotten better, who hasn’t practiced a lick, and other questions about your team get answered there.

No reason they shouldn’t have safety bases, but I have always seen the place as a safe venue to play. They have made improvements through the years with the use of google docs, new lighting, but improvements still need to be made in tiebreaker scenarios in bracket play - shouldn’t have to lose a game in the tournament because your team didn’t get enough girls to third base..especially as an ENQ... I am really interested to see how long it takes Bo Dome in Columbus to take over the entire operation or possibly another Dome location like Rossford etc

Never really liked the Dirt Dome, but early season competition and live looks/gameplay are so important especially at the younger ages. Enjoyed our tournaments ran at Spano, just never really cared for the facility.

her mom

Reaction score
I love the Dome in Rossford along with Bo Jackson. Rossford is my all time fave though for indoor.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Lets see Larson running scrimmages at Independence Feild house
Her mom and the Game like Rossford and Bo's place .
Looks like a hit thread on Spano dome?
Havnt been to either and not that there probably nice ,but there's probably not a plate or base tied down to anything,could be a adjustment from the non breakaway.Lets work on that coach's springs coming and only a few places have breakaways.

TheGame

Reaction score
Lets see Larson running scrimmages at Independence Feild house
Her mom and the Game like Rossford and Bo's place .
Looks like a hit thread on Spano dome?
Havnt been to either and not that there probably nice ,but there's probably not a plate or base tied down to anything,could be a adjustment from the non breakaway.Lets work on that coach's springs coming and only a few places have breakaways.

Your ability to stay on point and provide solid, unbiased logic in such an articulate manner is really a thing of true beauty. This forum is lucky to have you as a moderator.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Not really ,Maybe need moderated ,I'm not a moderator,I do check peoples prior posts to get a sense of where there coming from .I do my homework and form a opinion ,more than most do these days.Love this forum its cyclical,same things from 10u parents to parents seeing them off to college.Alot of very good parents and people around this game.

jt7663

Reaction score
With the New Year sounds like another Negative Spano experience ' Have they Installed Safety Bases for 2019?????

Xrayaries

Reaction score
For every 200 good experiences there is 1 bad experience. You do not hear about issues until someone complains. There is a reason that this thread has only two pages of comments. Majority of people have had decent experiences going to Spano.

It will take 200 good experiences until you find that 1 complaint again.

Every tournament and every field has its own issues. Even Aunt Rosies has a complaint thread on this site. From Berliner, Beavercreek, North Ridgeville etc..Nobody can predict that one event or incident that will cause someone to complain. Please don't come to this site when the majority of tournament officials are very approachable. Let your grievance be known to the person that can make the change. Talk about what you see or how improvements can be made. Reach out to the director before you start blasting them on social websites. That is just petty!