Setting the bar higher...

Stedman00

Reaction score
Stedman what constitutes travel? Serious question. The only school I can think of in SWO that produces those kind of travel numbers is Lebanon and maybe some of the GMC schools that have massive enrollments.

Lakota East, Lakota West, Fairfield and Mason are all very heavy to all travel girls Both JV and Varisty. And judging from recent state tourney results and eye test, Lebanon is similar in make up. And for that matter Mason usually has 2 JV squads + the Varsity all approx 12-15 player rosters and all travel players. Real games start March 24th, we will see.

High school participation will continue to decline as travel increases, IMO. School coaches say that they know what's best for their program, not what is always best for the girls. I could type for hours on the political malarkey that goes on with HS teams. Or the fact that if DD is trying to play in college, the college coaches very rarely watch HS games, they are playing now also. Or if DD is looking at a school more than 1-2 hours from HS, rarely have they heard of the school or the HS coach.

Creek01

Reaction score
You just named the large enrollment GMC schools & Lebanon. Those are the exceptions. You don’t find those kind of numbers even in some very successful programs like Milford. Last year my dd’s Team made district finals (where we lost to Mason). 7/9 starters were travel players & 2 of our subs were travel players. We also had a couple freshmen that played JV that were travel kids. That’s probably the average for D1 & the travel numbers greatly decline in inner city, rural districts & low income districts

Reaction score
No disrespect, but just because you play "travel ball" doesn't mean you play at a high level.

I would say most of the high level travel ball teams have 75-100% committed players to college by the time they are 2nd year 16s. Lasers, Doom Gold, Hawks Gold, etc.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Lakota East, Lakota West, Fairfield and Mason are all very heavy to all travel girls Both JV and Varisty. And judging from recent state tourney results and eye test, Lebanon is similar in make up. And for that matter Mason usually has 2 JV squads + the Varsity all approx 12-15 player rosters and all travel players. Real games start March 24th, we will see.

High school participation will continue to decline as travel increases, IMO. School coaches say that they know what's best for their program, not what is always best for the girls. I could type for hours on the political malarkey that goes on with HS teams. Or the fact that if DD is trying to play in college, the college coaches very rarely watch HS games, they are playing now also. Or if DD is looking at a school more than 1-2 hours from HS, rarely have they heard of the school or the HS coach.
Look at the rosters of most College teams...Next to the ladies name is their HS. Its rare for travel team to be mentioned. In 2013 we did have some DIII coaches come to some of our HS games and the HS Coach did a good job of helping ladies not playing summer travel find college teams. I would say things have not changed much with travel coaches where most 14/18U travel coaches do not have college coach connections or, are part of a coaching professional network.

DJB11

Reaction score
Look at the rosters of most College teams...Next to the ladies name is their HS. Its rare for travel team to be mentioned. In 2013 we did have some DIII coaches come to some of our HS games and the HS Coach did a good job of helping ladies not playing summer travel find college teams. I would say things have not changed much with travel coaches where most 14/18U travel coaches do not have college coach connections or, are part of a coaching professional network.
Many (not necessarily most) colleges do mention the travel team in their player bios, but not next to their name on the roster as CARS pointed out. We had D1s, D2s, D3s and others attend Mason games when my DD played and I saw BGSU at their scrimmage against Milford last Monday. (I recognize these are small numbers especially when compared to a high level showcase like St. Louis Showcase I or even Stingrays). Agree that most travel coaches do not have meaningful or significant college coach connections. I did see first hand that Ohio Hawks have meaningful and a high number of college coach connections. Doug Lenos, Wendell Hutchinson, and Hawks 18u Gold Koger coaches are well connected. (Their rosters and related commitments back this up)