Tealtown Ballpark $250K field renovation Project

Pride Coach

Reaction score
Below is from the Cincinnati Enquirer yesterday. The park will begin renovation in the next month or so.

Popular ballpark gets help from Union Township

Union Township is partnering with Tealtown Ballpark to make improvements to the baseball and softball fields located along Tealtown Road.

As part of this partnership, the trustees approved $250,000 for the improvements designed to increases the ballpark’s viability as a destination location. The money for the project was awarded to the township by the state for use in the development/redevelopment of recreational facilities, according to Trustee John McGraw.

Tealtown Ballpark is operated by a nonprofit group called the Mt. Carmel - Glen Este Boosters. With improvements, the ballpark will be able to host tournaments that attract teams from all over the country, which in turn will boost tourism and hotel/restaurant visits to Union Township and Clermont County, McGraw said.

“This is a great win for our area kids giving them organized teams to play on and to further help them grow and stay fit,” he said. “The park will also provide much-needed resources for the community. I look forward to partnering with Tealtown Ballpark as they develop a first-class facility.”

bleacherbum

Reaction score
The park is not that bad to begin with. The problem is they don't do anything to the fields if it rains!
No one wants to go to a tournament knowing that the crew will not work to get the fields playable ASAP.
Are they going to invest in ground crews & not wait for the sun to dry the fields out? Hard for anyone to spend there money on events held at this park until they know the owners are going to invest in getting the fields playable after bad weather. I have also seen them not get fields ready because the weather report says it may rain again in a couple of hours. Tealtown and this Boosters Club needs to let everyone know they are willing to do that - otherwise, save the money for something else.

manitoudan

Reaction score
When the renovation is complete they hope to host the NSA state tourney again ....... If you been around 10 years or so you will get that one .

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When the renovation is complete they hope to host the NSA state tourney again ....... If you been around 10 years or so you will get that one .

Maybe even bring Tim Clever out of hiding.....

Run26

Reaction score
Better buy stock in Dixie cups or purchase a helicopter. I still say this one tournament alone stomped out NSA in Ohio.

Pride Coach

Reaction score
The park is not that bad to begin with. The problem is they don't do anything to the fields if it rains!
No one wants to go to a tournament knowing that the crew will not work to get the fields playable ASAP.
Are they going to invest in ground crews & not wait for the sun to dry the fields out? Hard for anyone to spend there money on events held at this park until they know the owners are going to invest in getting the fields playable after bad weather. I have also seen them not get fields ready because the weather report says it may rain again in a couple of hours. Tealtown and this Boosters Club needs to let everyone know they are willing to do that - otherwise, save the money for something else.

The Park has completely new leadership as of about midway through last year. Any of you who played in the Kings Island Showdown last year know we are committed to getting fields ready to play. After a day and a half straight of rain every game was played.

Pride Coach

Reaction score

Before my time at the park but would love more detail about what you're speaking of.

manitoudan

Reaction score
looong story short . Big turnout for the NSA state tourney . Many age groups , TONS of teams , it rained and they did nothing .. NOTHING to get the fields back in shape , then had teenagers trying to disseminate info on time changes / field updates . There seemingly was zero communication between the event planners and the coaches , they ended up playing a few games for some teams and none for others , it was a cluster of all clusters , and to make it worse the park just a few miles from there got no rain what so ever and was up and running .

Pride Coach

Reaction score
I can tell you that will not happen. We have a full time grounds crew and part time help as well for weekend tournaments along with Board members who are at the park daily. I am the treasurer at the park and assure you we have plenty of conditioner and field dry to keep games playing

bleacherbum

Reaction score
You bring up Kings Island Showdown. Not sure about the weather last year, as I see most all events that weekend were completed.
But if we talk about the Kings Island Showdown from 2015 - it was year #2 for that event. First year weather was great and lots of teams came from out of town to play in it. So many signed up for year #2. It rained early in the week. Stopped early on Thursday - games set to start on Friday morning. Because there was rain in the forecast for Friday afternoon, no one at Tealtown made a single effort to get any fields playable!!! It did finally start raining late on Friday, early evening. Could have gotten all those morning & afternoon games in! Since they never touched the fields, the rain made Saturday pretty much a wash out, even though most of the day on Saturday had no rain! They finally got a few of the fields playable for Sunday & did an hour Drop Dead Bracket.
That is why everyone is so down on Tealtown! I hope you guys are going to change that mindset, because it could be a great place to play. But it will take actions and not just words to change those minds. Good Luck!

Pride Coach

Reaction score
I appreciate your point of view and its certainly a perception we are looking to change. My perception was the same for the years my daughter was playing rec ball at the park. My daughter played in that tournament last year. I take exception to the statement that we didn't make an effort to get the fields ready. a handful of people actually slept at the park working on fields late and at sunrise the next morning. Please know that going forward if games can be played they will be.