Streak Summer Smash May 26th-27th, 2018

tr3333

Reaction score
The games on Sunday were pushed back 2 hours this morning then cancelled altogether. Then they let teams that showed up on fields that were unplayable with umpires none the less. The TD is Mike Thorpe. We will be reporting him to the usssa about his actions this weekend. They sure made money for his Salem high school softball. Charging 3 dollars a person to get in then doesn’t let teams play on playable fields. Please avoid any of his tournments.

WSHEELY

Reaction score
I will first say the TD does not have a daughter in 14u. I will say communication could have been better (tourney machine could have helped). However, Canfield is the one you should be upset with! They dictate the fields and when someone rents their facility, no one but them are permitted to touch their fields. And maybe noone noticed, but they only had a few people there. Rain happens and tough decisions are made, but really just understand facts before everyone starts bashing! And trust me, there is much more negativity that I could post about the Canfield complex. I had no affiliation to this tournament, but I have been to several of Mike's tournaments and he does a pretty good job!

Schbrews

Reaction score
I will first say the TD does not have a daughter in 14u. I will say communication could have been better (tourney machine could have helped). However, Canfield is the one you should be upset with! They dictate the fields and when someone rents their facility, no one but them are permitted to touch their fields. And maybe noone noticed, but they only had a few people there. Rain happens and tough decisions are made, but really just understand facts before everyone starts bashing! And trust me, there is much more negativity that I could post about the Canfield complex. I had no affiliation to this tournament, but I have been to several of Mike's tournaments and he does a pretty good job!
If that's the case then so be it but how were several games played between different age groups but all but 14u was cancelled? The fields we're good enough for friendlies but not for tournament games? None of it makes sense.

mroby5172

Reaction score

So if Canfield said the fields were unplayable, then why were games played on them all day. It was awful to show up there and see teams playing and my daughter was sitting at home upset that she couldn't play. Total BS

mroby5172

Reaction score
60 minute drop dead games would have allowed all teams to get some game time

dbodien

Reaction score
Mike,
Aren't you in charge of another tournament in Canfield on June 23rd?

streak2010

Reaction score
The games on Sunday were pushed back 2 hours this morning then cancelled altogether. Then they let teams that showed up on fields that were unplayable with umpires none the less. The TD is Mike Thorpe. We will be reporting him to the usssa about his actions this weekend. They sure made money for his Salem high school softball. Charging 3 dollars a person to get in then doesn’t let teams play on playable fields. Please avoid any of his tournments.

A lot of wrong accusations. Sorry. Thanks for all the emails of support to those that actually listened to me. Many more then the very loud minority. You can’t make everyone happy.

Last edited:

jd100

Reaction score
McCune Park can be a great venue due to having so many fields all in one place. But overnight rain is the death of a tournament there. I have seen it happen twice. I guess Canfield doesn't allow outside help to prep the fields. If that is true then they need to have enough man-power on hand.

It was a bad idea to allow certain teams to play a few more games after the tournament was canceled at those levels. It's not hard to see why that would upset teams that didn't get the same opportunity. As for talk of turning in people to some softball organization, and talk of banning teams from things, hopefully that's the kind of stuff people say on Sunday when they are upset and forget about on Monday.

Reaction score
Then I find out that the TD has a daughter in 14u, totally screwed a bunch of kids, kids are playing ball all over the Youngstown area on fields that are not as good as those in Canfield. I hope we never sign up for another Streak tournament. I feel they took our money, we could have signed up for a real tournament.
TD does not have a DD in 14u, she is older. We have attended this tourney several times (not this year) and it has ran very smoothly, even with rain. Sometimes you just can't beat the weather. I am sorry you had a bad experience.