8th Grader Playing HS Ball

jt7663

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of an 8th Grader playing HS JV or Varsity? Story of an 8th Grader in Pennsylvania able to participate due to not having a middle School program. Wasn't sure since this was in PA thought there was a 4 year eligibility period?

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
There are state that allow 7 and 8 graders to compete in high school sports. Ohio is not one of them.

City Slicker

Reaction score
I am almost certain that, in PA, 8th graders are allowed to play freshman ball but not JV or Varsity.

brownsfan

Reaction score
I’ve heard Ohio does allow it BUT lose eligibility during the HS season. The reason why I know this is because my younger daughter in the 7th grade was told to stay away from the high practices so she would not lose a year of eligibility.

wpaguy

Reaction score
My DD was in 8th grade this year and we play in PA. The only way she could have played JV or Varsity in 8th grade would have been to give up her Senior year. I'm not aware of any Large schools that have 9th grade softball. Some did not even have JV.....Now Baseball is a different in PA, 8th graders can tryout and play on the 9th grade team, they do not loose a year.

Reaction score
I am a head softball coach in KY and my Varsity starting middle infield was two 8th graders. We can take them in 7th grade and still be eligible all four years of high school.

manitoudan

Reaction score
My area of KY is littered with 7th -8th graders playing varsity .. the area is so thin with talent if you are an advanced player at age 13-14 you can outperform an AVERAGE HS player in this area . Crazy to compare to some D1 level schools in Ohio where stud freshman barely even make a team and struggle for PT .

finfan365

Reaction score
I’ve heard Ohio does allow it BUT lose eligibility during the HS season. The reason why I know this is because my younger daughter in the 7th grade was told to stay away from the high practices so she would not lose a year of eligibility.

Here is the quote from the OHSAA rule book. I wonder if the loss of eligibility may be for the MS year, by participating with HS players.

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Softball/sbmanual.pdf

Can Middle School Players practice or play with High School players?
Answer:
No. OHSAA Bylaws prohibit middle school players from practicing
or competing with High School players during the season of play in all sports.

brownsfan

Reaction score
That's the 2018 manual. This would have happened in 2013/14 timeframe.

jt7663

Reaction score
Response from PIAA:
Students in the 8th grade are not eligible to practice or participate at the senior high level of competition (JV or Varsity).
The young lady will not become eligible for either team until she is academically in the 9th grade.
I hope this could be of assistance.
upload_2018-6-29_15-2-49.png

classicpride

Reaction score
The only way an 8th grader in Ohio can play on a HS team is to exceed the age limitation for a MS player in which case they will also exceed the age limitation ofr HS players by their senior year.

brownsfan

Reaction score
The only way an 8th grader in Ohio can play on a HS team is to exceed the age limitation for a MS player in which case they will also exceed the age limitation ofr HS players by their senior year.

You beat me to it. Bylaw 4-2-3 states what was quoted.