Fee charged for tryout

finfan365

Reaction score
The forum is for General Discussions about the Game of Girls Fastpitch Softball. Not to attack any organization or coach etc. simply because you do not agree with a fee. The question was asked why is the fee charged. The answer was given. That should have been the end of it, however calling someone smug and arrogant really? I have seen several charge fees for tryouts.
I'd say this discussion forum goes beyond just discussing the "game" of girls fastpitch softball. Take a look through the archives and active threads to see all of the various topics. This forum seems, to me, to be dedicated to the world of fastpitch softball, mostly travel, and all that goes with it. For now, the current topic was fees for simply trying out for an organization.

I guess any organization has the right to charge whatever they feel they are entitled. To me and apparently others as well, it appears to be just a way to make money and offset the cost of fees for those players who make the cut, at the expense of those who don't.

My thought is it will only discourage players from coming out but I've been wrong before, and I'm sure it won't be the last time.

Farmdad

Reaction score
I see absolutely no problem with charging a fee for tryouts. It's entertaining to read about all these dads and moms getting their underwear in a bunch over $10. It's $10!!!
Even if this starts a firestorm and every org out there charges $10, how much does that put you out during tryout season? $30-40 max? have you been to a 3D movie lately? Have you eaten a medium serving of chicken wings? Have you purchased a composite bat?
Remember guys if you cannot afford/begrudge $10 then you should not have your DD playing travel softball. Playing pay for play summer sports is really really expensive and you all have a choice to simply not participate.

Nope, we don't go out to movies anymore, we rarely eat out, and my dd uses a good bat we bought off the demo rack. I'm sorry if there are a few of us out there that are so "poor" that charging anything for a tryout is a terrible idea. Or maybe we just value a dollar and we expect something in return for it. We do worry when a team charges $10, because then it only goes up from there. Luckily, there are orgs that actually work with families that have a tough time coming up with team fees, etc. Its bad enough that some really good players are already priced out of travel softball. I really hope I run into you someday at a tourney so you can tell me in person how my dd doesn't belong in travel ball. I'm the guy pulling a wagon full of homemade sandwiches, generic chips, and a cooler full of drinks from Aldi's.

Irish196

Reaction score
man some of these posts are just horrible! If some of you guys did half as much as Alanna for girls playing the sport we would be overrun with support for the girls in Ohio. I get not wanting to pay to try out -fine- but all of the other crap bashing an organization you don’t even know about is low. How would your daughter feel if she were on a Buckeye Charge team and saw this thread (the losing in a field with 3 teams, etc). Does it make people feel good to trash other people who you think aren’t as good as you and your team? You have no idea what *she* (not a he like someone assumed) does for girls. Plus I’m 100% sure that if the $10 fee was a stressor financially for someone, she would waive it with a smile.

I respect Alanna for what she is doing -especially the charity aspect of her organization and helping make the game affordable by helping girls pay their travel fees through charity work. Someone who does that is not looking to make a quick buck off of families.

Keep pushing Alanna! I know there are a lot of girls who look up to you as a role model and rightfully so.

Last edited:

manitoudan

Reaction score
The forum is for General Discussions about the Game of Girls Fastpitch Softball. Not to attack any organization or coach etc. simply because you do not agree with a fee. The question was asked why is the fee charged. The answer was given. That should have been the end of it, however calling someone smug and arrogant really? I have seen several charge fees for tryouts.

" several " Like who ? Ive seen the Chargers and the Demarini team listed as 2 examples . But ( assuming this is Bandits Demarini ) thats like comparing the Patriots and The Bengals. Not a really good example because both are pro teams , but lets be real here . 3/4 or more of the state has never heard of the Charge and Bandits - Demarini are a household name . Thats why some said it was rather smug to do this , the org hasn't built any good will , or proven them selves to be a leader in the state who sets precedent . Thats my take .

manitoudan

Reaction score
But to each his own. You want to pay to try out .. its a semi free world , have at it . Then in 5 years when everyone is charging , we can recall the first few to do it , while no one " cried " about it .

jpkeating

Reaction score
You know what this thread has really done, it’s given the Charge a lot of free advertising for there try outs.
I’ll bet that people who have never heard of the “Lookouts” or Charge will show up at there try outs now.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know what this thread has really done, it’s given the Charge a lot of free advertising for there try outs.
I’ll bet that people who have never heard of the “Lookouts” or Charge will show up at there try outs now.

Sounds like for a mere $10 per player, you can send your teams for a great 2 hour workout!

Only girls getting left holding the bag are those 7-8 bubble girls actually looking to fill those couple of open spots......lol

TheHitKing

Reaction score
Someone mentioned that the Bandits Demarini charges 20 Dollars for a tryout, not true..they don’t charge and they don’t post “‘tryouts “
per se as they, to my knowledge, contact players and their parents and offer an invite to attend a workout...I do hope that charging a fee to tryout does not become the norm, but if an organization feels that is the route they wish to take so be it...as “ Irish196 “ said, I also echo his admiration of AB for the charity aspect of having her team volunteer time in the community to offset fees and she is a great role model...

Last edited:

FastBat

Reaction score
Not typically for softball, but other sports Yes
I know for competitive cheer it’s around $45*** for a tryout, just for a regular spot on a team (positions aren’t spoken about for several months after twice/week practices). They may or may not make a team, either. If they don’t make a competitive team the gym offers the child a prep team spot. It’s also another $20-45 for a flyer tryout. (Flyer spots are highly competitive positions, followed by main base, then tumbler, then backers, then side base, then fronters.)

Also, it should be noted it’s around $300/month for 10 months for team fees, $600 due on commitment (I do get this back next May), and a $400 uniform isn’t included in team fees(there is hardly any fabric so not sure why it’s so expensive), plus I just spent $110 on her shoes (she’ll need a second pair in November) and there is 7 comps with at minimum of 3 or 4 weekend hotel stays (also not included)...this is for my daughter who will be entering kindergarten this fall (5-years old)!

So, when I hear about travelball and the fees, I guess I’m a little biased, but bring on that $10 fee for the tryout! And needless to say I heavily pushed my older daughter to play softball!

(Also...and this is the killer! Sometimes it’s as much as $45/person/weekend for the “gate fee” or spectator fee. That’s $45 for watching my kid for 5 minutes, that’s $9/minute to watch her. So $5 or $10 for a gate fee is almost laughable to me and I don’t care if you have a large family, if I take my entire family, ugh...)

If your kid plays any type of competitive youth sport...prepare to make a huge commitment of time and money! And I know it wasn’t like this in the 80 and 90’s!

***I actually just asked someone as a reference today and she said, it's not $45, it's $65 for the general tryout. For a flyer tryout it's "only" $20, that's a bargain, I guess. (Being a "flyer" is like being a pitcher. If they started charging a pitcher tryout fee, I'd deny my kid was a pitcher.)

Last edited:

manitoudan

Reaction score
Oh Lord , if there one " sport" I like less than sokker its cheerleading (. Greenup Co Ky Graduate here -- leading cheer HS in the USA . ) The freshman class I entered HS with won 4 straight national titles .. they would run us, basketball team , off the basketball floor for their practices :(

FastBat

Reaction score
Oh Lord , if there one " sport" I like less than sokker its cheerleading (. Greenup Co Ky Graduate here -- leading cheer HS in the USA . ) The freshman class I entered HS with won 4 straight national titles .. they would run us, basketball team , off the basketball floor for their practices :(
These aren’t that kind of cheer, not the football, basketball kind...although, I would bet that’s highly competitive and some of these girls will just do that by the time they get to HS! This is more athletic; tumbling, back handsprings, aerials, twisting, stunting even at 5-years old...like the kind you see on ESPN! Which is what I will be obligated to pay for if they “earn” a bid for nationals, in Disney! I’m not worried I get a couple months to “save” for that trip...:confused:!

Bottom line in 2018...if you don’t want to shell out the money and time, have your kid look into art or piano...maybe that’s cheaper? You have to realize, you are going to pay if you want your kid to play competitive sports in 2018!

This sounds kind of mean about my parents, and I love my parents, but if I was a child in 2018 (I’m 41), I would bet my parents wouldn’t have let me play competitive sports, which was a huge part of my childhood. It would have been too expensive and they were fantastic parents. It’s just that these sports are a big sacrifice for the entire family (and my older sister received a 4-year full ride with tuition and boarding paid, playing softball. Can you imagine not paying for one of your three kids college education? Nice surprise!) But, my parents also don’t understand how children have cell phones and how parents pay for a child’s cell phone!

Sorry, my sister and I talk about this a lot and it’s been on my mind lately!

finfan365

Reaction score
Fastbat

All of these nonsensical tryout fees you list off began somewhere.
At some point someone in the cheer organization decided it was a good idea to charge a meaningless fee to tryout for a position. It could be they had what seemed to them a valid reason for doing it but it sounds like it has snowballed out of control. Now it is expected and seems acceptable for you to pay it.

The problem is, I’m afraid there are too many people who think “well $10 isn’t much” and once that becomes the standard it will end up just as you described in cheer.

Why should we allow some players to be priced out of the game by agreeing to meaningless fees?

Last edited:

manitoudan

Reaction score
These aren’t that kind of cheer, not the football, basketball kind...although, I would bet that’s highly competitive and some of these girls will just do that by the time they get to HS! This is more athletic; tumbling, back handsprings, aerials, twisting, stunting even at 5-years old...like the kind you see on ESPN! Which is what I will be obligated to pay for if they “earn” a bid for nationals, in Disney! I’m not worried I get a couple months to “save” for that trip...:confused:!

Actually its exactly that kind of cheer . If you cant do a standing no hands back flip at Greenup Co you dont make the squad .. and that was the norm 30 years . GC cheer is a little ahead of the times . The squad I mentioned had a girl do a dismount flip from 5 high .. stuff thats not even legal now , at least I dont think it is .. hell the crowd would gasp when she did it . 1:30 mark .

lewam3

Reaction score
Let’s break down what an average summer of true travel softball will cost

Organization Fee: $500
Hotel/campsite (assuming 5 OOT) $300-$1500+
Instruction (year round): $500-1200 (assuming you aren’t instructing her yourself)
Food: it’s a wash because you eat whether playing or at home
Gas: $250 extra maybe
Misc: ?

Does this sound about right? If you are on an elite team maybe double or triple the fees and travel cost.

So $10-50 for tryouts?...Shouldn’t be a deal breaker- and remember, who says these tryouts cost nothing to the organization that’s holding them. And how about all those parents who take their kids to tryouts with no interest in ever joining the club but do so to get them “warmed up” for the team they really want?
So Alanna might be onto something to charge a fee to ensure bring serious candidates only...

And Farmdad, I would never tell you your daughter shouldn’t be playing travel softball:
You are doing a great job making sure that she can...

Jose_canusee

Banned
Reaction score
I know in club volleyball they all charge a fee to tryout, it’s a little crazy yes, but it is what it is, you either A take your kid and pay it or B you don’t,
But my spouse and I were talking and both said that next it will be softball teams charging for tryouts.
To each their own.
I think They are shooting their self in the foot , but hey it’s their foot !

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know in club volleyball they all charge a fee to tryout, it’s a little crazy yes, but it is what it is, you either A take your kid and pay it or B you don’t,
But my spouse and I were talking and both said that next it will be softball teams charging for tryouts.
To each their own.
I think They are shooting their self in the foot , but hey it’s their foot !

If people show in good numbers and pay - then it will become the norm.for everyone to do! If you end up with only a half dozen kids showing up that you would have rather paid to not have wasted your time, then the fees will never take off!

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
To me, it is pretty simple....if this worked all the "cool organizations" would be doing it. But somehow they all find a way to get the serious players without a fee. It is a bad first impression you are giving to your organization and overshadows any of the good (which should be the reason why you attract serious players in the first place).

Practice?

Reaction score
I know some organizations have expenses to host tryouts; including field rentals. IMO I see nothing wrong if the organization charges to recover their costs incurred.

TheHitKing

Reaction score
So someone above stated that to them even “ 10 to 50” dollars is totally acceptable...FIFTY Dollars????.....for a simple tryout?...wow...what’s next, charging for parking ?...

lewam3

Reaction score
So someone above stated that to them even “ 10 to 50” dollars is totally acceptable...FIFTY Dollars????.....for a simple tryout?...wow...what’s next, charging for parking ?...
Assuming one takes their DD to 1-5 tryouts. That’s 10-50 dollars. Some years it’s zero, assuming DD likes the team and gets asked back