Skills Competitions

Gray55

Reaction score
This maybe a dumb question but I will ask anyway! My 12u team will be at World Series in Columbus @ Berliner @ end of July. It states that Home Run Derby is soft toss..! Is this still with a 200ft fence? This would be a big task for a 12u player for sure. Just don't know how everything is setup and the girls would like to practice for the competition. Also the outfield accuracy...is it hitting a target or stopping the ball around the target?

Skeeter

Reaction score
When our players participated a few years ago, they had the batters hitting from the pitchers circle for the Home Run Derby and they had the temporary fences up. For the outfield accuracy they have 3 players go at the same time and throw from centerfield to a net setup at home plate, they count the balls that end up in the net (they can bounce them into the net) I think they get 3 throws.

Gray55

Reaction score
When our players participated a few years ago, they had the batters hitting from the pitchers circle for the Home Run Derby and they had the temporary fences up. For the outfield accuracy they have 3 players go at the same time and throw from centerfield to a net setup at home plate, they count the balls that end up in the net (they can bounce them into the net) I think they get 3 throws.
Thanks for the reply...that helps a lot with getting some practice reps in. I would assume the temp fences are set at 200ft. Should be fun to watch all the girls giving it their best!

nwbackstop

Reaction score
My dd was there two years ago and for each skill you could only have a certain number of girls from each team,like for fastest pitch and hr derby i think it was 2,last year it rained and we didnt wait it out to do competitions

Mustang Pride

Reaction score
Go to www.fastpitchshowdowns.com They have a link to video of each competition and how things look down at the Berliner experience. Soft toss from around 2nd base is what it looked like on video. Good luck to your team!

Reaction score
Yes it is from about 2B. It's very exciting to watch. If you are going to be pitching to your players, don't make the mistake of trying to front toss to them. You cannot be accurate enough. These girls can hit the ball 130' from soft toss! Good luck this weekend!

Gray55

Reaction score
Yes it is from about 2B. It's very exciting to watch. If you are going to be pitching to your players, don't make the mistake of trying to front toss to them. You cannot be accurate enough. These girls can hit the ball 130' from soft toss! Good luck this weekend!
Thanks...we have been practicing soft toss and I found the video Mustang Pride was referring to and now we can practice the correct set up!