The pressure of trying to be the best in softball...Do the pros outweigh the cons??

LineDrive

Reaction score
hay_focusonhitting.jpg
Imagine your daughter in this situation....It's the bottom of the 7th inning with two outs and runners in scoring position and a base hit will win the game. A player steps up to the plate who is 0-3 on the day. There's a lot of loud cheering. Her mom yells, "C'mon baby. You can do it!" A teammate shouts, "You're due kid!" While looking at the player clapping his hands the 3rd base coach says, "Get this done like you can!" One of the many softball experts behind the back-stop blurts out, "Don't dip. Drive the ball!"

And all of that happens before the girl has even gotten into the batter's box for the first pitch. Ask yourself this: What do you suppose she's thinking about as she steps up to the plate?

LineDrive

Reaction score
This was an interesting article I read.. Now imagine if your daughter was only 10 or 12 years old feeling this....

SMc4SMc

Reaction score
Its ALL on the adults. The critiques, comments, congratulations, etc...etc. from coaches, and foremost, the parents will be the greatest things from that moment. The player lives for those moments and feeds on them... it's always gonna be awesome sink or swim because they are incredible players. That incredible athlete may or may not cry whether they win or lose, but if the adults aren't properly reassuring then the moment could be a downhill ride for the rest of their softball lives with a simple, "gee thanks", and all that encompasses from a pre-teen or know-it-all teenager.

Disclaimer: A proper positive reassuring statement can receive the same "gee thanks" response but you'll know the difference when they truly are thankful.

shummel

Reaction score
Do the pros outweigh the cons?? Absolutely IF you prepare your daughter for these tough situations. This softball thing is an experience for us and my daughter has seen/heard our name run thru the mud now twice. Once from not coaching anymore to now leaving a team for another and its always OK. I am constantly preaching, "leave it all on the field" and the results are what they are. The players are NOT always in control. One can not truly appreciate winning/succeeding without understanding how to lose/fail. I think back to the NCAA Final a few years ago and seeing C Shea ( Auburn )make the final out and just breaking down crying. My daughter noticed and commented rather than noticing the winning team. I feel like most of our talks are about how to handle failure and losses rather than what it takes to succeed and win!!! I suppose I'm just trying to raise a "young lady" and adult

wannaplaysb

Reaction score
If you allow your daughter to set her OWN goals. Teach her how to be mentally prepared and sometimes shut up and just listen. Yes.

Make sure she understands that it is a process. And there is ultimately no perfect. I am following my second daughter into her senior year and season. She has met her old goals and is working on her new ones. And that forward thinking is the very best thing this game has given her!

Bottom of the seventh. Yes. She will work the same game plan. Sit back. Wait for a strike. Unless the pitcher works ahead. She knew that three innings ago. She will know what is coming then.

She is typically a 4hole. And a pitcher. So she will work that mental game based on what she has seen. And what she will do! She has been known to draw a 16 pitch walk.

And then. She will step in and do her job. And if she fails. She will work even harder to give her team a chance again.

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Yoda says,

"Pass on what you have learned... Strength, mastery, but weakness, folly, failure also. Yes: failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Understand we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters".

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Folks Teach your DD to have fun first...The Skill and accepting of challenge will be there "if" they are working on their game.

You want to know why the coaches, fans and teammates say what they do?
Its generally because the player has a history of delivering or being the clutch player on O or D already and have learned to overcome the pressure.

When they are not successful it does not always mean they failed. Sometimes the opposition steps up and makes a play, The pitcher makes a good pitch etc. That is why the game is so much fun to be part of.
Teach your DD to relax and understand they have prepared for this moment and they will have success if not in this AB the next.

Last edited:

wannaplaysb

Reaction score
100 percent agree! Sometimes a great hitter hits a sucky pitch very well. As a great pitcher you pray you can minimize the damage! And sometimes you just tip your hat. They beat you. And that’s amazing.

But what defines you as an elite player is your next pitch. That is your best pitch. You are working with more information.

I always enjoy listening to coaches that don’t get that. They talk too much. How to fix missing a good pitch. My favorite comment was “what are we swinging at????? An invisible ball??” And that was an amazing hitting team!

All pitchers have a batter in their book called “can we please just get HER OUT one time” this game ,this season, whatever! Sometimes that is the game inside the game that turns into just holding her to a single. Or stranding her at two three times a game. And that is the celebration on the ride home!

Last edited:

Rotte

Reaction score
The fun is being prepared for that situation. You win some & you loose some.
The good ones want to be in that spot, and don't fear failure.

0203bbmom

Reaction score
We undermind the importance of being mentally ready and capable of handling what this game does to a player. I have seen great pitchers fall apart mentally and it's over. But if you have a mentally strong and game smart pitcher or any position for that matter, you have an advantage. There are some things you just can't teach.