ACT/SAT tests and Tournament Dates

52mitch

Reaction score
In the future TD's need to be aware of the dates of the ACT/SAT tests especially in the fall and winter so that they do not schedule high profile (or any other) 16U /18U tournaments on the weekends when the ACT/SAT tests are scheduled. Clearly, academics should be the highest priority for the girls but when big tourneys are scheduled the girls feel an obligation to play ball instead of taking the test which is only given a few times each year. For example, there are several 16U/18U tourneys that are scheduled this fall on the same day as the first ACT/SAT test that Juniors and Seniors can take in September. This is not fair to the girls.

Just a thought for future scheduling.

Strohbro

Reaction score
You do realize most fall tournaments/showcases are set in stone from year to year? Most of the tournaments have been the same dates for as long as I can remember. Most will take the ACT and then go play ball.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
UGH....
You do relize the ACT can be taken outside of summer or fall ball..and, it can be taken as many times as the lady wants to take it and it is reommended to take it at least 2X.

It is easier for the parent or player to use the 7 Ps.... Proper , Prior, Planning, Prevents, Piss, Poor, Procedure...
As a parent, if you want your DD to test on a date that your team has a tournament that is on you, not the TDs. Plan for it and show up after testing or test in the spring window.

Last edited:

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each test is given approx. 7 times a year...……..
At least 4 of those dates do not interfere with Travel Ball - as stated above - PLAN AHEAD!

52mitch

Reaction score
UGH ....
I only raised the issue because several parents I know had the same question. My DD's team is playing in the Best of the Midwest tourney which is hours away from our home so she can not take the test and then go play on the same day.

Also, I am well aware of all of the dates the ACT is given during the year and am aware of those dates a year in advance. So it is not an issue of proper planning on my part or any parents part. The only individual who can PLAN AHEAD is the TD. The parents only have a CHOICE and that is whether to have their daughter take the test or let their team down especially on a team which only carries a total of 10 players.

You all must be salty TD's who have known about this issue for a long time and have not PLANNED AHEAD to address the issue :)

No worries. Again, the post was "just a thought for future scheduling".

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
atleast 2x's? I would get them started in 8th or 9th grade and test 2 times a year at the min.. Your score can't go down.... only UP! People.... you better know that academics rule here. If your DD isn't taking her school studies seriously, she may have trouble finding a school to accept her no matter how good you think she is. This AINT FOOTBALL!!!!

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
UGH ....
I only raised the issue because several parents I know had the same question. My DD's team is playing in the Best of the Midwest tourney which is hours away from our home so she can not take the test and then go play on the same day.

We played in Tennessee 2 years ago and I had a player who needed to take them again. She took that morning at a local high school down there and was back at the fields, only missing one game.

I coached high school wrestling long time ago and it was amazing how many kids scheduled the testing during the winter months....

Last edited:

Strohbro

Reaction score
Not a salty TD at all. Just have been around the game a LONG time and know how things work. Maybe you and the other parents need to plan better when it comes to when and where you actually can take the ACT. Don't lay it at the feet of the TD's just because you cannot PLAN accordingly.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
532 Mitch sorry if I came across as salty.

But as others have pointed out, the TD is doing their job with hoisting the event and proving the information in a timely manner so the event can be used properly. The tournament date requires coordination with teams to play and coaches to watch.

'If" you are playing or aspiring to play on a showcase style team the head coach or team college representative should have already laid out expectations along with the information needed for things like the ACT.

I know when I did the college showcase stuff for the Static we held classes for parents and players. The Reds RBI program is doing the same thing for their players/parents.
Not all showcase teams understand the hows and whys thus why it is good to do homework.

The class information we provided included information for ACT Test prep FREE and paid, testing dates, how to register, how to get a NCAA clearing house number and merge ACT/SAT. It also included instructions on how to contact college coaches and yes that to has a process that many do not complete. Then are pissed when they have no interest.
Outside of the ACT stuff there are a lot of things that needs to be part of the showcase team that many teams do not do.

When I coached showcase ball I also required to be CCd on all college coach correspondence to help with playing decisions especially with our pitchers and catchers. The bottom line is your coach should be your number one contact with concerns that way he can explain or help direct. If he/she cant or, you are the coach there may be a bigger problem.