8U Softball teams and travel

Reaction score
We have decided to do an 8U travel team, but realize teams to play and tournaments sometimes hard to find.

Who is all having 8U teams in Ohio and also, any help on finding 8U tournaments would be helpful. Thanks

Also, anyone having anything this fall? Thanks

steelcitycyclones@gmail.com

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
If I was coaching 8 under I would not worry about tournaments as much and play in Friendly's and find some teams to scrimmage on a regular bases.

Pride '10

Reaction score
Central Ohio Pride has had an 8u team for the past several years and will for this upcoming season. I’m curious who is out there as well. Looking forward to the response.

Tournaments that I know have traditionally offered 8u would be:

Fall
Pitch for a Cure - Lancaster
Fall Mingo Madness - Logan
Thunder Fall Classic - Cincinnati

Spring/Summer
Battle at Berliner - Columbus
Firefighters - Columbus
Mingo Madness - Logan
Pride Challenge - Lancaster
8u ASA State Tournament
There are several tournaments that offer 8u in Lancaster & Beavercreek.

I’m sure there are others out there. Excuse any omissions.

wahhutch9

Reaction score
There are a few teams in Northwest Ohio. We are all primarily modified kid pitch tournaments up here and have used that experience to help develop and transition kids to 10u with great success.

These are all kid pitch (until 4 balls in batter) and then coach comes in to pitch and finish the at bat....

All in Toledo area:

September 15 = smashing pumpkins

May 18-19= wizards rizing starz

June 7-9=SGS tune up

June 14-16= wizards Farley memorial

June 28-30= SGS shootout

If you’re interested in additional info, please let me know!

City Slicker

Reaction score
If I was coaching 8 under I would not worry about tournaments as much and play in Friendly's and find some teams to scrimmage on a regular bases.

If I was coaching an 8U travel team, I wouldn't be worried as much about tournaments as much and find teams that have a playground and ice cream shop near their field.

Pride '10

Reaction score
Not early at all. Certainly, it’s not to the degree or schedule of older teams, but it’s a great way to get started and get the fundamentals.

Trust me, our bordering states (Kentucky and Indiana specifically) and especially teams down south don’t share some opinions on this thread.

Some of you might be surprised by the skill level and what these kids can do. I encourage you to check it out sometime before passing judgement or making snarky comments.

Reaction score
We have decided to do an 8U travel team, but realize teams to play and tournaments sometimes hard to find.

Who is all having 8U teams in Ohio and also, any help on finding 8U tournaments would be helpful. Thanks

Teams are not hard to find @ the 8u level.. where are you located? Last season my Ohio Thunder 8u team played 70 games .. I would've played more however, I choose to give my 8u girls a vacation! We played All over Ohio Kentucky and Indiana! Columbus, Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati, Dayton, Logan, New Albany Indiana, Fredericksburg, etc. It all depends on you and what you want! https://www.leaguelineup.com/miscinfo.asp?menuid=46&url=ohiothunder

If you use sites like this: http://gfp.tournamentusasoftball.com
It will change the way you are currently thinking!

Reaction score
8u is not too Early at all... You need to start now !! You will learn a ton At the 8u travel level !! Your right on time... If I could've done it all over my kid would have start 8u Travel softball at age 6

Reaction score

Being a 8u coach last season I strongly disagree with the Friendlies/Scrimmage approach !! Its more rewarding for a 7 or 8 year old to work hard and earn a medal or a trophy at the end of a softball tournament! A scrimmage is just a hot day in the SUN to them! I had girls taking medals and trophies to school on Monday's and show and Tells etc. Its easier to teach a child /player as when they see the reward too!!

Attachments

• 60185.jpeg
    60185.jpeg
    857.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
We are located in Pittsburgh area, the only other 8U teams we have found in area are Silver Creek, and one in New Castle. The Riot isn't fielding a team this year.

Pride '10

Reaction score
If you’re interested in playing this Fall, look into Pitch for a Cure in Lancaster.