Mandate the mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

streak2010

Reaction score
Asking all coaches to join the pledge to mandate wearing the mask for all infielders.

Pass the word to all coaches.

Join us
Facebook
@mandatethemask

Not looking for an argument - as adult coaches it’s our #1 job to look after the safety of our players.

mroby5172

Reaction score
Yeah...then make all the fans wear them too. Ridiculous!
I watched a 12yr old boy take a wild pitch in the face in a league that does not require a facemask on the batting helmet, it was not good. The pitcher threw very hard and the kid batting was an all-star but still didn't have time to react. Why not protect the kids!

daboss

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I continue to fail to understand why there needs to be a written rule? There is no rule against it. That is the sanctioning body's stand on the subject. It's my stand on the subject. I would never keep a player from wearing one. It's a choice. Embrace the freedom of choice. I don't need somebody to tell me not to put my finger in an electric outlet. lol. It's a choice if I want to "light up my life."

mroby5172

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I continue to fail to understand why there needs to be a written rule? There is no rule against it. That is the sanctioning body's stand on the subject. It's my stand on the subject. I would never keep a player from wearing one. It's a choice. Embrace the freedom of choice. I don't need somebody to tell me not to put my finger in an electric outlet. lol. It's a choice if I want to "light up my life."

Why have any written rules or laws then? Maybe, some people are not bright enough or just don't care about the risk of harm to their children, etc....We are forced to wear seatbelts and obey traffic laws, but how many people break the laws? Simple, mandate safety of our kids....

22dad

Reaction score
There is still a perception and perhaps reality with some that wearing a mask hurts recruiting.. I also witnessed teasing over it

thestuff142

Reaction score

8-10-12-14-16 year olds should have freedom of choice? Do we give our kids at home freedom of choice over wearing seatbelt? Thats a rhetorical question...of course you don't. My kid won't go on field without a mask. Rule or no rule...but I think there should be a rule for masks on infielders, masks on batting helmets...chest protection for pitchers. Not wussification...we didn't know what we didn't know when we were kids...and there was no option for protection. When I started playing ball I wore a helmet that looked like a wrestling headgear and nothing like helmets today. Today we know...and there is a way to protect our young athletes.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Totally agree it should be a rule ... no different than facemasks for football players or catchers, shin guards for youth soccer players, etc. And yes, until there is a rule (if ever), a coach of players under say the age of 15 should require them as well. I'd personally prefer it be mandated at all age levels including college, but one step at a time.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
First .....if not a rule, mom and dad should mandate it for their kid. If a coach doesn't want my kid for wearing one? I don't want them as a coach...

Heck way back one of ours had stitches in her head and wanted to play outfield still... Wife said only way you play is with a helmet on per Doctor order.... All three outfielders did that game in support.... It was funny as heck...

Jose_canusee

Banned
Reaction score
Coaching 8u almost every position wore one. I had a girl come to me and ask if she had to in the outfield. I told her we needed to talk to her parents. I told her parents my stand on it (wear it) but her parents didn’t find it necessary . So she didn’t.
My daughter all the way through- 8u- 18u played infield and never wore one. She is 20 now.
10u team, I told the girls they must it’s not a choice,
I have watched girls lose teeth, and get really hurt without it. Now a days I think the younger girls MUST

daboss

Reaction score
Why have any written rules or laws then? Maybe, some people are not bright enough or just don't care about the risk of harm to their children, etc....We are forced to wear seatbelts and obey traffic laws, but how many people break the laws? Simple, mandate safety of our kids....

I understand your frustration. Nobody says the world is fair. It does come down to choices and all we can do is follow the rules as they are written. The problem with our world today is the "sue happy" contingent meaning every little thing we decide or do can be considered malicious in nature and somebody else can benefit from taking it to court. Depending on the mindset of the judicial's involved, it may have merit. Even if they consider it frivolous you can't get back the time and money lost. The stress from it can be unhealthy. It's for this reason sanctioning bodies need overwhelming evidence and support to make a ruling on safety.

Keep in mind I don't totally disagree with your concerns. However, I do understand the arguments on why others do not agree with making it a rule. It's the "neutral" status that keeps the liability issue out of the responsibility laps of the sanctioning bodies. You mention the safety belt law. Many lobbied against it until it finally was made a law. If I remember correctly, the state of Ohio legislature waited until it was enacted by federal law so they (Ohio) wouldn't have to accept any responsibility. Like the seat belt law, this topic can become a "damned if I do and damned if I don't" issue.

You have chosen a side that is beneficial to your beliefs on the subject. Luckily, there is no rule for or against so you have the freedom to choose what you believe to be in the best interest of your family. Others don't want you to choose how they raise their kids. They are making a choice and resent anyone else telling them otherwise. It can become a mind your own business situation and quite frankly is something I do not want to be in the middle of this decision. That's why I don't tell people what religion to have or what neighborhood to live. Respectfully do what's right for your own. It's the only thing you can control.

Last edited:

mroby5172

Reaction score
I understand your frustration. Nobody says the world is fair. It does come down to choices and all we can do is follow the rules as they are written. The problem with our world today is the "sue happy" contingent meaning every little thing we decide or do can be considered malicious in nature and somebody else can benefit from taking it to court. Depending on the mindset of the judicial's involved, it may have merit. Even if they consider it frivolous you can't get back the time and money lost. The stress from it can be unhealthy. It's for this reason sanctioning bodies need overwhelming evidence and support to make a ruling on safety.

Keep in mind I don't totally disagree with your concerns. However, I do understand the arguments on why others do not agree with making it a rule. It's the "neutral" status that keeps the liability issue out of the responsibility laps of the sanctioning bodies. You mention the safety belt law. Many lobbied against it until it finally was made a law. If I remember correctly, the state of Ohio legislature waited until it was enacted by federal law so they (Ohio) wouldn't have to accept any responsibility. Like the seat belt law, this topic can become a "damned if I do and damned if I don't" issue.

You have chosen a side that is beneficial to your beliefs on the subject. Luckily, there is no rule for or against so you have the freedom to choose what you believe to be in the best interest of your family. Others don't want you to choose how they raise their kids. They are making a choice and resent anyone else telling them otherwise. It can become a mind your own business situation and quite frankly is something I do not want to be in the middle of this decision. That's why I don't tell people what religion to have or what neighborhood to live. Respectfully do what's right for your own. It's the only thing you can control.

Honestly, I have no frustration about the subject. To each their own. I just stated that I feel it should be mandated, I am 100% for doing all we can to ensure the safety of the kids. The game is supposed to be fun, a serious injury takes the fun out of it...

daboss

Reaction score
Honestly, I have no frustration about the subject. To each their own. I just stated that I feel it should be mandated, I am 100% for doing all we can to ensure the safety of the kids. The game is supposed to be fun, a serious injury takes the fun out of it...

I wholeheartedly agree. I have the utmost respect for yours and everyone's opinion on the subject. I do not sit on any board of any sanctioning bodies. I no longer serve on the Ethics Committee for the NFCA. I ran for the committee again last year and was not elected. In the past, I ran for the Rules Committee but did not win. I ran because I wanted to be in a position to make a difference and hear firsthand all sides of the debate. While it didn't happen I did get to talk with many involved at 2 different national conventions. I sat in on the public portions of their annual meeting. It was interesting to listen to the many that contributed.

If I may I'd like to share a real life experience on a matter of safety on a few different subjects but more importantly share with you the thought process and the actual decisions that were made at that time. I'm curious to know if you roll your eyes into the back of your head as I did when I tried to make a difference. Here it goes;

Years ago while coaching high school golf, I had taken the Girls' team to a tournament and during play was alerted by the director that a storm was heading our way. A few other coaches had pocket lightning detectors that had gone off indicating sever lightning just minutes away. They immediately recruited myself and the other coaches to take carts out and move the kids to the clubhouse as fast and in any way we possibly could. Lightly overcast with no visible threat, we jumped into action and in less than 20 minutes the sky was black with lightning, sever thunder and rain over the entire area. The tourney was cancelled due to downed trees and limbs left behind on the course. I have no doubt those lightning detectors saved us from a disaster that day.

Once home I got online and found the detectors that were used by others that day at a cost of around $400 each. I mentioned to our AD at the time the school should have these and they could be shared seasonally by the coaches of outdoor sports. He answered with I had to get the school board to approve it. I knew we had an upcoming meeting, called the office and made a special trip to town to sign the proper form requesting to be put on the agenda to address the board on the subject. When it was my turn I approached the podium with a complete recollection of the event and pointed out two other incidences that had happened in recent times. I had printed out and made copies of detector advertisements along with a price sheet for 3 different models and brands. They thanked me and without hesitation said NO! NO WAY!!!

I was caught so off guard I was speechless. I DID think to ask why. Here was their response on the matter: We cannot equip our staff with the devices because we have been advised by legal counsel it could put the school district in a position of responsibility and could open the door for legal action against us. It's a question of liability. They explained that if they had the devices and they were not used properly or malfunctioned, the school could be considered to be at fault. I told them if it was a question of money I would buy them and donate them to the school. They told me they would not accept them and as a coach for the school district I was not allowed to have one and use it at any school function.

I brought it to their attention this device could save lives. It was a matter of safety. Wouldn't they rather overt a disaster? They said legally they can't do it. Now wait, there's more! They went on to say it's for this very reason we don't have defibrillators in the school. If we have defibrillators, we are required to train staff how to use them and at every school event we would be required to have somebody trained to be there to use it in the event of an emergency. If they didn't provide a trained staff member to be present, or if that member misused the machine, the school could be held liable. The school opt'd to protect themselves legally and by not having any of the safety or life-saving devices it was the better option.

If we save 1 life or overt 1 disaster, isn't the better choice???? Morally, I choose to do the right thing as I see it. I feel this way because I was raised this way or discovered on my own it simply makes more sense. Others don't approach things morally. The term that keeps popping into my mind is "In the eyes of the law." Legally, some won't agree with my personal beliefs. Some make decisions financially. Legal, moral, ethics or religion,and financial reasons normally drive most human beings to form an opinion. Once that process kicks in you suddenly see sides of people you had no clue existed.

"The high road is seldom closed due to bad weather but that doesn't always mean it's the preferred route." -Paul Hazlett

mroby5172

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. I have the utmost respect for yours and everyone's opinion on the subject. I do not sit on any board of any sanctioning bodies. I no longer serve on the Ethics Committee for the NFCA. I ran for the committee again last year and was not elected. In the past, I ran for the Rules Committee but did not win. I ran because I wanted to be in a position to make a difference and hear firsthand all sides of the debate. While it didn't happen I did get to talk with many involved at 2 different national conventions. I sat in on the public portions of their annual meeting. It was interesting to listen to the many that contributed.

If I may I'd like to share a real life experience on a matter of safety on a few different subjects but more importantly share with you the thought process and the actual decisions that were made at that time. I'm curious to know if you roll your eyes into the back of your head as I did when I tried to make a difference. Here it goes;

Years ago while coaching high school golf, I had taken the Girls' team to a tournament and during play was alerted by the director that a storm was heading our way. A few other coaches had pocket lightning detectors that had gone off indicating sever lightning just minutes away. They immediately recruited myself and the other coaches to take carts out and move the kids to the clubhouse as fast and in any way we possibly could. Lightly overcast with no visible threat, we jumped into action and in less than 20 minutes the sky was black with lightning, sever thunder and rain over the entire area. The tourney was cancelled due to downed trees and limbs left behind on the course. I have no doubt those lightning detectors saved us from a disaster that day.

Once home I got online and found the detectors that were used by others that day at a cost of around $400 each. I mentioned to our AD at the time the school should have these and they could be shared seasonally by the coaches of outdoor sports. He answered with I had to get the school board to approve it. I knew we had an upcoming meeting, called the office and made a special trip to town to sign the proper form requesting to be put on the agenda to address the board on the subject. When it was my turn I approached the podium with a complete recollection of the event and pointed out two other incidences that had happened in recent times. I had printed out and made copies of detector advertisements along with a price sheet for 3 different models and brands. They thanked me and without hesitation said NO! NO WAY!!!

I was caught so off guard I was speechless. I DID think to ask why. Here was their response on the matter: We cannot equip our staff with the devices because we have been advised by legal counsel it could put the school district in a position of responsibility and could open the door for legal action against us. It's a question of liability. They explained that if they had the devices and they were not used properly or malfunctioned, the school could be considered to be at fault. I told them if it was a question of money I would buy them and donate them to the school. They told me they would not accept them and as a coach for the school district I was not allowed to have one and use it at any school function.

I brought it to their attention this device could save lives. It was a matter of safety. Wouldn't they rather overt a disaster? They said legally they can't do it. Now wait, there's more! They went on to say it's for this very reason we don't have defibrillators in the school. If we have defibrillators, we are required to train staff how to use them and at every school event we would be required to have somebody trained to be there to use it in the event of an emergency. If they didn't provide a trained staff member to be present, or if that member misused the machine, the school could be held liable. The school opt'd to protect themselves legally and by not having any of the safety or life-saving devices it was the better option.

If we save 1 life or overt 1 disaster, isn't the better choice???? Morally, I choose to do the right thing as I see it. I feel this way because I was raised this way or discovered on my own it simply makes more sense. Others don't approach things morally. The term that keeps popping into my mind is "In the eyes of the law." Legally, some won't agree with my personal beliefs. Some make decisions financially. Legal, moral, ethics or religion,and financial reasons normally drive most human beings to form an opinion. Once that process kicks in you suddenly see sides of people you had no clue existed.

"The high road is seldom closed due to bad weather but that doesn't always mean it's the preferred route." -Paul Hazlett

Such a sad world we live in, whereas the threat of liability outweighs safety of everyone.....

brownsfan

Reaction score
I understand the pitchers and hot corner(s). Need to understand why SS or 2nd? Those are supposed to be your best athletes in those positions. As a coach, I tell my ladies if they want to where them, go for it (which includes SS and 2nd). I also give them a heads up that I'll be hitting the ball a bit harder too to help prepare them. Every MI that wore the mask turned away; those who did not watched the ball into their glove.

My dd's are gone and one playing in college. She's a pitcher and still wears her mask as I told her it was her choice to wear it. The agreement was take a line drive to your face and you can pay for your mistake for not wearing it.

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
I don't think we we need to mandate wearing a mask. My daughter is a pitcher and she doesn't step on the mound without it. That is my rule I could care less what a coach says. If my daughter tried to go out without it I would personally pull her off the field myself, parents be the parent. If we are going to mandate face mask why not the heart guard? Face mask saves your face, heart guard save your life. Heck since it is about safety, lets go a step farther. Lets mandate face masks, lets mandate the heart guards and lets mandate all players have to wear soccer shin guards, before you scoff they are light weight and they don't reduce mobility and protects ball going off their shin. Ever take a hard hit ball off the shin it hurts like crazy and could break a bone. I mean it is about safety isn't it?

I get the reasoning and when it comes to pitchers I don't necessarily disagree. But lets look back on how this debate has changed over the years. First it was lets mandate pitchers have to wear a face mask. Then it changed to lets mandate pitchers and corners have to wear a face mask. Now it is changed again and the new thing is lets mandate all infielders have to wear a face mask. Next it is going to be lets mandate every player that is playing in the filed has to wear a face mask.

Last edited:

Run26

Reaction score
Asking all coaches to join the pledge to mandate wearing the mask for all infielders.

Pass the word to all coaches.

Join us
Facebook
@mandatethemask

Not looking for an argument - as adult coaches it’s our #1 job to look after the safety of our players.
Mandate the rule in your house and don't rely on the sport to do it for you.

0203bbmom

Reaction score
I understand the pitchers and hot corner(s). Need to understand why SS or 2nd? Those are supposed to be your best athletes in those positions. As a coach, I tell my ladies if they want to where them, go for it (which includes SS and 2nd). I also give them a heads up that I'll be hitting the ball a bit harder too to help prepare them. Every MI that wore the mask turned away; those who did not watched the ball into their glove.

My dd's are gone and one playing in college. She's a pitcher and still wears her mask as I told her it was her choice to wear it. The agreement was take a line drive to your face and you can pay for your mistake for not wearing it.

I am pro-face mask. Several reasons: DD is pitcher (16U). Other DD when she played, was 1B. I can only speak from my experience, but I feel face masks help EVERY position on the field. Example - at 14U I seen a collision between CF and LF. CF had a face mask on while the LF did not. The CF was reaching up for the ball trying to make the catch. The LF ran right into the CF arm taking an elbow to the eye socket, breaking her face in a couple places and later heard some damange to the eye. It's not always about pitchers or corners taking a hard line drive or bad bounce to the head. When my DD doesn't have that mask on, I promptly remind her of all the bad things we've seen over the last 10 years, not to mention the thousands of dollars for the braces we've paid for as well.... she will wear that mask no matter what position, as long as I am on this earth breathing. It's no fun to see a friend with their mouth wired shut due to a fractured jaw from taking a foot to the face playing 2B from an opposing player sliding to base. Is madating it the correct action? I don't know, but I think as parents, we need to make the decisions for our children.

Status
Not open for further replies.