Mandate the mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

streak2010

Reaction score
Mandate the rule in your house and don't rely on the sport to do it for you.

I mandate the mask to my high school team because that is my house! My kids safety is my #1 job as a coach. Yes, they become my kids when on the field or in my care. Things happen and injuries will happen, but mandating the mask allows me to be the “adult” in care of the kids. Our kids won’t have the law named after them when it happens.

Run26

Reaction score
I mandate the mask to my high school team because that is my house! My kids safety is my #1 job as a coach. Yes, they become my kids when on the field or in my care. Things happen and injuries will happen, but mandating the mask allows me to be the “adult” in care of the kids. Our kids won’t have the law named after them when it happens.

So let me get this straight; you MANDATE your players wear a mask? What if your top player says she's not comfortable wearing one. I assume you sit her? Right! doubt it.

City Slicker

Reaction score
When I have a kid hit in the face I'd much rather say, "Damn I'm glad she had a mask on" as opposed to "Damn I wish she had a mask on."

22dad

Reaction score
So let me get this straight; you MANDATE your players wear a mask? What if your top player says she's not comfortable wearing one. I assume you sit her? Right! doubt it.

A 'top' player would not argue the coach's wishes or peers. Dont agree with a mandate but my daughter wears it in the middle and always will. Play enough and you will take something off the face eventually, some bad most not so.

mwaddell

Reaction score
Website
www.OhioLasersSilver.com
I have daughter 1 (18 yr old) that pitches & plays the corners & daughter 2 (13 yr old) that plays middle infield. Daughter 1 wears mask when she pitches & plays 3B but doesn’t when she plays 1B. We discussed & I am fine with that decision. As parents we told her that she had to wear it when pitching & at 3B considering how close they are to home defending the bunt at 3B, & the position & distance from home she is in when finishing a pitch. Daughter 2 at this point wears a mask at both SS & 2B but we have had discussions of her not wearing it going forward & I am fine with it given the distance from the plate. Both daughters occasionally play outfield & neither have ever worn the mask in the outfield. I believe it is up to the parent & the player, but ultimately the parent. Personally, I like all of the infielders to wear them at the younger ages (12u & below) as their skills are developing. I like to see pitchers & 3B always wear them at any age, but again as a coach I leave it up to the parents.

Last edited:

cam.p22

Reaction score
I am going to receive a lot of backlash for posting this, but here it goes...

I want to start by saying that I DO believe that masks can be appropriate for SOME fielders. Pitchers and corners for sure should be a little more careful than others to protect themselves. Nothing drives me more crazy than going to an event or even having private lessons with a player who plays OF and is wearing a mask. Let alone walking up to a whole team wearing them in the field.

I understand safety concerns, I understand that parents/families pay a lot of money for braces or facial improvements. But at what point are we going to teach these girls that they need to use their glove to catch a ball and not hide behind the mask? I personally have had Invisalign, worn a mouthguard occasionally, and taken some softballs to my body/face throughout my career, but at no point did I ever think a mask was the answer. **No I did not play a corner or was a pitcher**

Growing up playing softball starting around 10ish years old, my dad and I would go in the backyard and he would nail softballs at me. Was I scared sometimes? Absolutely. Did I get hit sometimes? Of course. Did it make me a better player and not scared of the ball? ABSOLUTELY.

I see way too many girls that are wearing a mask and PULLING THEIR HEAD OFF OF THE BALL!! Now someone please explain to me the benefit of this mask when they are scared of the ball, turn their head, and now the ball hits them on the side or back of the head where the mask doesn't protect them? How is this beneficial for anyone?

Masks can be useful, but at the same time we need to be teaching these athletes proper mechanics, body and spacial awareness, and watching in hops all the way. Maybe if all the keyboard warriors spent just as much time teaching the players mechanics rather than typing about face masks we all may have some different opinions

Cammi Prantl

Haley Widner

Reaction score

I want to start by saying that I DO believe that masks can be appropriate for SOME fielders. Pitchers and corners for sure should be a little more careful than others to protect themselves. Nothing drives me more crazy than going to an event or even having private lessons with a player who plays OF and is wearing a mask. Let alone walking up to a whole team wearing them in the field.

I understand safety concerns, I understand that parents/families pay a lot of money for braces or facial improvements. But at what point are we going to teach these girls that they need to use their glove to catch a ball and not hide behind the mask? I personally have had Invisalign, worn a mouthguard occasionally, and taken some softballs to my body/face throughout my career, but at no point did I ever think a mask was the answer. **No I did not play a corner or was a pitcher**

Growing up playing softball starting around 10ish years old, my dad and I would go in the backyard and he would nail softballs at me. Was I scared sometimes? Absolutely. Did I get hit sometimes? Of course. Did it make me a better player and not scared of the ball? ABSOLUTELY.

I see way too many girls that are wearing a mask and PULLING THEIR HEAD OFF OF THE BALL!! Now someone please explain to me the benefit of this mask when they are scared of the ball, turn their head, and now the ball hits them on the side or back of the head where the mask doesn't protect them? How is this beneficial for anyone?

Masks can be useful, but at the same time we need to be teaching these athletes proper mechanics, body and spacial awareness, and watching in hops all the way. Maybe if all the keyboard warriors spent just as much time teaching the players mechanics rather than typing about face masks we all may have some different opinions

Cammi Prantl

I have to agree with you Cammi. I have heard many argue that retired softball players our age feel this way because we played in a time that "the bats weren't as good as they are now". I disagree as most of the bats we used are illegal now. My Dad also took me into the backyard and would teach me the proper way to field the ball. I had to learn how to not be scared the same way we teach players the other fundamentals. I was given a mouth guard to help protect my teeth. I stopped playing 3rd base and pitching before high school and moved to the outfield where I definitely did not wear a mask. As an outfielder, there is no way you can read a fly ball as effectively with a mask on. Masks were brought into the game to protect fielders from a line drive that they didn't have time to react to (mostly for pitchers). I am not sure that a middle infielder or outfielder should ever get hit by a line drive that they did not have time to react to playing at the distances they play at. BAD HOPS HAPPEN. Learn how to play the hops, wear a mouth guard and accept that it is part of the game. The second basemen on my Laser team growing up was the only player on our team not to have any Division 1 offers until the time she decided to take her mask off. Within a few weeks she committed to a division 1 college. I do understand that times have changed but am simply sharing my experience.

Every sport has an inherent risk of injury. We cannot have the athletes hide behind the mask instead of teaching them proper mechanics. I do agree that masks have a place in the game and a very important one especially when it comes to pitchers. I truly do. A lot of my 8u Players wear them while a few others have never put one on. It is a decision that the family and athlete should make. I do not agree that they should be mandated.

swohio

Reaction score

Cammi Prantl
Your post makes absolutely too much sense, and you didn’t insult anyone. Please edit, and re-post to fit in with the forum please.

City Slicker

Reaction score

Cammi Prantl

1) why do you care if someone else's team is wearing masks?
2) I was with most of your post until you said "keyboard warriors...." why the need to take shots at people's opinions? You probably have no idea how most of us coach

mroby5172

Reaction score
I cannot stand how people think that if you wear a mask, you are hiding behind it or have improper mechanics....this is ridiculous. I can guarantee if you are wearing a mask or not, the natural instinct will be to stop the ball with your glove prior to impact...period. The mask is there for the bad hop, the ball off the end of the glove, the deflected ball off another player, whatever scenario that may happen. Wearing a mask does not make you weak...in my eyes you are smart because you know accidents happen. In hockey, why would the goalie need all that extra equipment....all he needs is the gloves to stop the puck. Why does the male catcher need to wear a cup? Stop the ball with the glove....come on, let's be realistic. The best player with the best reaction times does not equal zero chance of injury and if my child can wear a mask and not risk losing teeth or facial scares, then seems like a no brainer to me....

City Slicker

Reaction score
I cannot stand how people think that if you wear a mask, you are hiding behind it or have improper mechanics....this is ridiculous. I can guarantee if you are wearing a mask or not, the natural instinct will be to stop the ball with your glove prior to impact...period. The mask is there for the bad hop, the ball off the end of the glove, the deflected ball off another player, whatever scenario that may happen. Wearing a mask does not make you weak...in my eyes you are smart because you know accidents happen. In hockey, why would the goalie need all that extra equipment....all he needs is the gloves to stop the puck. Why does the male catcher need to wear a cup? Stop the ball with the glove....come on, let's be realistic. The best player with the best reaction times does not equal zero chance of injury and if my child can wear a mask and not risk losing teeth or facial scares, then seems like a no brainer to me....

100!

mroby5172

Reaction score
I think it is a player and family personal choice. I have no issue with girls wearing them if they so choose, is it to much to ask for the same respect?

I am all for respect of others thoughts and beliefs...but when it comes to a child's safety, certain things mandated. Car seats, seat belts are now mandated because parents didn't enforce usage....

01softballmom

Reaction score
I can respect your choice , I do not agree. What will be next? Should we mandate every players diet? Should we mandate they stay in a monitored room pre game to insure proper rest? You know diet and rest can contribute to a players reaction time too.

daboss

Reaction score
I think it is a player and family personal choice. I have no issue with girls wearing them if they so choose, is it to much to ask for the same respect?

I'm a little surprised that somebody hasn't made the case for not wearing a mask. Most have shared they don't need a rule, that common sense within the individual family structure is (as you mentioned) the respectful right of all. That's my point. I simply use too many words to get there. I should work on that flaw.

Before I sign off, let me share some food for thought representing some of the opposing side's view on wearing a mask or not. 1. Girl playing defense goes after a ball and the mask comes off, the baserunner steps on the mask and injures herself. 2. Collision in the infield while going after the ball and one or more girls get cut from the mask raking across the girl's body. I witnessed a SS diving after a ball just as a baseruuner approached and both girls hurt from the collision. The worst of the injuries was the runner as the mask sliced her leg across her thigh so bad they called the squad. That wound was beyond stitches. It needed staples to pull it back into place. 3. Another girl had her mask catch the shorts of another and had her head pulled around while she dangled helplessly till they separated. It was only a split moment but caused a neck injury that the parents finally decided she should go to the ER. I've personally witnessed other issues. This is a short list.

It's for these and many more reasons why sanctioning bodies are reluctant to invoke a rule. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There is enough ammo here to argue against. It's the unknowns in the world that still leave doubt.

One last thought and maybe some legal minds can shed some insight. I read a post from a coach mandating all his high school players wear a mask. So if a player is injured due to mandating this as his/her rule, would they be liable for legal action if a player is injured in any way and could prove it was due to the mask contributing to the injury? I would think the answer is yes. Civil cases don't need to follow the same guidelines as a criminal action. Being employed by the school wouldn't necessarily be a full-proof net of security. You can go out on that limb if you want. Just know if a lawsuit develops you may not have anyone to catch you if you fall. There might be a host of spectators saying they support you but are they willing to split the expense of the tab when it's over?

This is why it should respectfully be a family choice. Just my opinion......

daboss

Reaction score

So if a player is injured due to mandating this as his/her rule, would they be liable for legal action if a player is injured in any way and could prove it was due to the mask contributing to the injury? I would think the answer is yes. Civil cases don't need to follow the same guidelines as a criminal action. Being employed by the school wouldn't necessarily be a full-proof net of security. You can go out on that limb if you want. Just know if a lawsuit develops you may not have anyone to catch you if you fall. There might be a host of spectators saying they support you but are they willing to split the expense of the tab when it's over?

As a school coach, you have the freedom to have team rules beyond any student athlete handbook that represents the district that you have agreed to be on staff. Curfew, appropriate language, shirttails tucked in, these are rules that are probably not in the sanctioning body's handbook and possibly not in a school handbook and would be deemed acceptable by most standards. However, you are in a position different from a privately established organization such as a travel team. Please be careful. We need people like yourself to be in the sport. Don't lose you house or your job for it.

Run26

Reaction score
So if a player is injured due to mandating this as his/her rule, would they be liable for legal action if a player is injured in any way and could prove it was due to the mask contributing to the injury? I would think the answer is yes. Civil cases don't need to follow the same guidelines as a criminal action. Being employed by the school wouldn't necessarily be a full-proof net of security. You can go out on that limb if you want. Just know if a lawsuit develops you may not have anyone to catch you if you fall. There might be a host of spectators saying they support you but are they willing to split the expense of the tab when it's over?

As a school coach, you have the freedom to have team rules beyond any student athlete handbook that represents the district that you have agreed to be on staff. Curfew, appropriate language, shirttails tucked in, these are rules that are probably not in the sanctioning body's handbook and possibly not in a school handbook and would be deemed acceptable by most standards. However, you are in a position different from a privately established organization such as a travel team. Please be careful. We need people like yourself to be in the sport. Don't lose you house or your job for it.

Trust me - he's not mandating anything. It's not in the equipment rules and it can't be required. Don't get me wrong; I see the benefit of wearing a mask at pitcher because the fluid motion towards the batter leaves you extremely vulnerable. As Cammie and Haley have stated; this has become more of a reliance than a protector. Teach your players appropriate glove position and moving towards the ball and you'll avoid a lot of the bad hops.

cam.p22

Reaction score
1) why do you care if someone else's team is wearing masks?
2) I was with most of your post until you said "keyboard warriors...." why the need to take shots at people's opinions? You probably have no idea how most of us coach

1: I don't care if a whole team is wearing a mask. Thats not what I said at all. I stated that I do not believe it should be 'mandatory' for everyone to have masks.

2. My post was completely MY opinion, not taking shots I just think that people are too quick to get on here and want to start internet feuds rather than spending time with players and their growth.

3. I played at a power 5 conference school, was an all American, now a professional athlete, instructor and coach to a lot of low and high level players; so pardon my opinion and thinking that I have just a little bit of first hand experience

People are going to do what they want to do which is a part of life. My initial point, which I saw was stated way better in a post below mine was that Run said "people are using these masks more as a reliance than a protector" DING DING DING DING - Thanks RUN!!! Couldn't be more truthful!

City Slicker

Reaction score
1: I don't care if a whole team is wearing a mask. Thats not what I said at all. I stated that I do not believe it should be 'mandatory' for everyone to have masks.

2. My post was completely MY opinion, not taking shots I just think that people are too quick to get on here and want to start internet feuds rather than spending time with players and their growth.

3. I played at a power 5 conference school, was an all American, now a professional athlete, instructor and coach to a lot of low and high level players; so pardon my opinion and thinking that I have just a little bit of first hand experience

People are going to do what they want to do which is a part of life. My initial point, which I saw was stated way better in a post below mine was that Run said "people are using these masks more as a reliance than a protector" DING DING DING DING - Thanks RUN!!! Couldn't be more truthful!

You did though...

"Nothing drives me more crazy than going to an event or even having private lessons with a player who plays OF and is wearing a mask. Let alone walking up to a whole team wearing them in the field."

I do respect your opinion. And I do agree that a lot of coaches need to work harder on teaching proper mechanics.

Have a good day.

Last edited:

Haley Widner

Reaction score
You did though...

"Nothing drives me more crazy than going to an event or even having private lessons with a player who plays OF and is wearing a mask. Let alone walking up to a whole team wearing them in the field."

I do respect your opinion. And I do agree that a lot of coaches need to work harder on teaching proper mechanics.

Have a good day.
I don't think it was intended to be a jab at coaches. It bothers me too to watch an entire team wearing them. As I said in my earlier post, especially outfielders and as the kids get older Middles as well. You have to understand that when Cammi and I played fielding masks were essentially non-existent. Every now and again you would see a pitcher wearing one. In college I didn't even wear one on my helmet and not one of my teammates at James Madison wore one in the field either (not even the pitchers).

Again you will never ever convince me that an outfielder should wear one. It actually is a disadvantage for outfielders. If you would like to me to explain the "why" behind it, I would be more than happy to. I can actually say the same for middle in fielders as well. But as Cammi said, look up our credentials as players and coaches. We are speaking from the experience we have had and are looking at this as both players and coaches. We have our opinions on face masks that many other people share.

That being said, my little cousin plays on my 8u team and pitches, plays second and OF. Do you really think I let her out there in the infield without one? No, this is her first year playing at this level. However, do I expect that by 14 or even 12u that she will still be wearing one unless she's on the mound? Also no.

At the end of the day the more important conversation we should be having is how can we as coaches do a better job of teaching them the correct fundamentals of fielding ( and the sport in general) to help these athletes succeed and lower the risk of injury (whether they are wearing mask or not)?

Status
Not open for further replies.