Catcher pop time

Reaction score
just curious as to what the average pop times are for all age catchers. I’ve read anything from 1.6 to above. My dd is 11u and her fastest is 1.93.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
There's tables that show what ladies should do at certain levels 1.8 to 2.0 are certainly good times.Id focus on accuracy and explosivness out of down position as well as her basic blocking skill set

Reaction score
Thanks okiedad. Her accuracy is definitely right on and she knows how to block. Was just wondering what a good pop time was.

Coach Tony

Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb, Division I college coaches are looking for pop times below 2.0, preferably looking for 1.8 or below. The other levels vary greatly.

If your daughter has a 1.93 pop time at 11U, that is quite impressive.

By the way, the most effective way to reduce your pop time is to increase your overhand throwing speed. This is true because the majority of your pop time comes from the ball traveling after release. Of course, improving your transfer is also important, but going from 50 mph to 60 mph (easier said than done) overhand speed will cut your pop time significantly.

Reaction score
That makes sense coach Tony. We actually clocked her overhand the other day. So it’s something we’ll keep an eye on to try to improve it. Not sure what overhand velocity is good for her age but she hit 50. I tried to look that up as well and got several different answers.

tschromm3

Reaction score
Foot work is huge here. You don't need a cannon to throw people out. You need to get the ball out of your hand, and most importantly, BE ACCURATE!
I see too many catchers throwing the ball high just to try to get it there in the air. Huge mistake. Keep it low. A one hop throw is still a good throw. And it will get there faster than a high throw that gets there in the air.

Best way to improve arm strength is to play long toss. Not trying to throw lasers 200'. But long, high balls with an exaggerated follow through. Long toss is really important for catchers. Best way to build arm strength and durability. Love talking catching!!

DLamb

Reaction score
I remember as a catcher playing ball, rarely standing up to throw down 2nd or 3rd. I threw many out from knees or crouch, they generally learned after getting burnt. My pitchers knew to get down a little...This was baseball though...and back then, what was pop time...

Reaction score
Throwing from the knees is nice if they can do it. My dd has been working on it for a little while. She went to do a tryout not to long ago and they wouldn’t let her throw from her knees. They said “only 3 girls can at 12u can and u ain’t one of the 3”. . However she can. So I was a little irritated.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
They said “only 3 girls can at 12u can and u ain’t one of the 3”. However she can. So I was a little irritated.

Don't you just love it when some wannabe softball coach make a dumb statement like that.

If the wannabe said that to my daughter, I'm sure I would have made some smart a** remark (well I only know 5 good 12 under coach and your not one of them)

OhPhat

Reaction score
Throwing from the knees is nice if they can do it. My dd has been working on it for a little while. She went to do a tryout not to long ago and they wouldn’t let her throw from her knees. They said “only 3 girls can at 12u can and u ain’t one of the 3”. . However she can. So I was a little irritated.

Wow. That’s a crazy statement for a coach to make...tell him to go to almost any 12u open class tournament and you will see quite a few girls throwing from their knees.

Long Baller

Reaction score
Don't you just love it when some wannabe softball coach make a dumb statement like that.

If the wannabe said that to my daughter, I'm sure I would have made some smart a** remark (well I only know 5 good 12 under coach and your not one of them)
Unfortunately, that wouldn't even be near the top of the list of dumb things that I have heard travel ball coaches say. :( That may be a good topic for a new thread:D

Reaction score
Yeah I was pretty disappointed. I get he’s been coaching since before the dinosaurs but you don’t know every girl. Keep your mouth shut and you’d be surprised what some girls can do.

tramlse

Reaction score
Footwork is imperative to throwing. Want to learn great foot work billy dome alliance oh. You will not be let down. My daughter has attended for 2 yrs I’m impressed.

streak22

Reaction score
my daughter catches and i think to much is made out of the time that play itself has alot of variables to be successful one the pitcher if she is throwing 45 mph doesnt matter if your kid has a 1.8 ... if your pitcher is throwing 60 your kids can be 2.0 .... then you need a short stop with great chemistry to make the play.... give me a catcher with 0 passed balls any day over a 1.8 pop that cant block

Reaction score
I agree streak22. However I want a catcher with no passed balls and a great pop time. Lol

tramlse

Reaction score
my daughter catches and i think to much is made out of the time that play itself has alot of variables to be successful one the pitcher if she is throwing 45 mph doesnt matter if your kid has a 1.8 ... if your pitcher is throwing 60 your kids can be 2.0 .... then you need a short stop with great chemistry to make the play.... give me a catcher with 0 passed balls any day over a 1.8 pop that cant block
Hey
I agree streak22. However I want a catcher with no passed balls and a great pop time. Lol
hey streak you subbing for the slamforce I saw you put your number out there?

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that wouldn't even be near the top of the list of dumb things that I have heard travel ball coaches say. :( That may be a good topic for a new thread:D

I will start a new topic/thread on dumb things travel coach say. Should be fun!