Dumb things that I have hear travel ball coaches say.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Really dumb things travel ball coaches say. This discussion actually started on another thread and it inspired me to start this thread.

1.) High School Sofball is Dumb.

2.) High School Coaches can't coach.

3.) During pre-game meeting, tells the other coach he throwing his weakest pitch to have fun (when she standing beside him warming up.) Poor girl started crying, what a wonderful person.

That my three to start the conversation. I will add more as my memory turn them loose.

Davemy

Reaction score
Website
auntrosiestournament.com
Hopefully this doesn't change your subject but it drives me CRAZY the things I hear from parents to their daughters at softball games. I wish I could video them and show them later what stupid shit they say!!! Sorry Ricky, I had to get that off my chest. I feel better now.

OhPhat

Reaction score
Had a coach tell my DD who sees a reputable catching instructor this after he did not like the way she fielded bunts which was exactly how she has been instructed.

If that’s how your catching coach has shown you then he is wrong and you need to find a new catching coach.

To be clear my DD has been to multiple camps and has been shown the same method as her instructor has taught her.

Last edited:

Stedman00

Reaction score
If i hear one more coach yell to a batter with 2 strikes, "choke and poke", I might lose my marbles. Let's have a player who likely has spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours, working on swing mechanics, technique, etc., try and change her swing during an AB. Change eye and adjust strike zone? absolutely, change swing? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

rant complete.

tschromm3

Reaction score
I've heard some absurd things for sure. As I'm sure people have probably thought some of the things out my mouth are equally as absurd! ;)
But I think if we started sharing the things we have heard from parents, we could probably break the internet!

DLamb

Reaction score
Really dumb things travel ball coaches say. This discussion actually started on another thread and it inspired me to start this thread.

1.) High School Sofball is Dumb.

2.) High School Coaches can't coach.

3.) During pre-game meeting, tells the other coach he throwing his weakest pitch to have fun (when she standing beside him warming up.) Poor girl started crying, what a wonderful person.

That my three to start the conversation. I will add more as my memory turn them loose.

From my limited experience, it seems most HS coaches are coaching travel ball, maybe not 18U but not 12U in most cases. And School ball I think is fun for most girls that play...they are with classmates...having fun..winning is important, always still good to learn to be a good loser too. 3 months of the year the pressure isn’t as high for them than the following 6 months.

Nice thread.

Run26

Reaction score
"Sure, we could use a sub this weekend."

Long Baller

Reaction score
Here are some of the ones I remember through the years, without having to sit down and think about it:

I don’t have time to develop players, I want to win right now (said a 10U coach)

If she can’t throw 55-56+, then don’t even bother coming out (said a 1st year 12U coach about a private tryout)

That girl throws, what, 48? I can’t believe they would disrespect us like that by not throwing their #1 against us.

We were working on spotting the fastball. If I gave my girl all her pitches, we win easily.

Slapping is dumb; why would you purposely try NOT to hit the ball as hard as you can?

We don’t bunt for hits. Good teams can defend that, so we aren’t going to try.

Anyone that says they have a girl with 2.7 home to 1st is a liar. Any girl that fast is going to college on a track scholarship.

D1 college coaches don’t want kids playing multiple sports in HS.

manitoudan

Reaction score
I wish I could remember them all ..

Dont try to get the lead runner at 2b , its easier to throw to 1b

and this gem from this year , a friend of mine has a kid playing at the local college , he said the hitting guy was telling them over and over " get your hands to the ball , the hips will catch up "

But I dont think those top Long Ball's comments

OHsoftball

Reaction score
not travel coach but HS coach telling 3rd base to stop taking plays away from the SS.

ironcitymama

Reaction score
At a tryout for 16yo OF daughter a few years ago - tryout appears to be ending, me “Coach, are you going to do OF drills”... coach “nope, anyone can catch a ball in the OF” - we didn’t accept a spot on that team.

BA824

Reaction score
At a tryout for 16yo OF daughter a few years ago - tryout appears to be ending, me “Coach, are you going to do OF drills”... coach “nope, anyone can catch a ball in the OF” - we didn’t accept a spot on that team.

Now that’s funny