Classless High School Coaches.. How many are out there?

Doug666

Reaction score
Heard through the grapevine that a JV so-called coach, I will refer to him as person, ran a score up yesterday, 47 to 0. I was told that they had numerous varsity players play down with them. What do the real coaches out there think about this person and high school?

M & R Davis

Reaction score
That is absolutely uncalled for and that coach should be embarrassed IMO. Not saying I’m a real coach by any means :) but anyone with any common sense and decency knows that is low class.

jpkeating

Reaction score
Name the school Doug, if you have the guts to make the post, you should have the guts to name the school

jpkeating

Reaction score
I agree with your post there was no reason for a 47 to 0 score. I’m sure the ladies on both teams got allot of of it

Doug666

Reaction score
Name the school Doug, if you have the guts to make the post, you should have the guts to name the school
Guts..... you have to be kidding me.... the high school is Norwayne.... You want the JV persons name..... I’m working on that... one thing came to my mind after I made the post... Will the high school use the varsity’s kids stats from the JV game........ ????????

jpkeating

Reaction score
The reason I used the word guts, is this thread is going to probably turn into a massive e fight here shortly.

Doug666

Reaction score
The reason I used the word guts, is this thread is going to probably turn into a massive e fight here shortly.
I was incorrect earlier... The final score was, 46 to 6. Not sure that makes any difference... I’ll let the ethical coaches and parents give their opinion... After hearing about the outrageous score.... I’m thinking about going back into coaching to give back to the game. My daughter is playing in college with one year to go..

coachjwb

Reaction score
While I never won or lost a game by anything close to 40 runs and have no knowledge of or ties to the school mentioned, how classless a coach in a situation like this depends on a lot of things. Just because a JV score is out of hand and some players who also play some varsity also play JV, doesn't necessarily mean it was totally classless on the part of the winning coach. Several questions I'd want to know the answer to before I just labeled them that without having seen the game myself:

* What often happens in JV games is that the pitcher(s) can't throw strikes. Did they simply walk batter after batter, with the batters having little chance to swing at pitches close to the zone?
* Many high school teams have underclassmen who are on the varsity roster but who don't get much playing time so they play some JV when they can ... its not usually to run up a score on a JV opponent, but instead just to get them some playing time.
* Did the better players stay in the entire game or was the bench emptied early in the game when it started getting out of hand?
* Did the winning team keep taking extra bases on hits and wild pitches or did they play base to base?

Another question is if the winning team took any outs on purpose like stepping off a base early, although sometimes that makes losing teams even angrier so it can be a no-win situation. And even so, I definitely know there are many inexperienced coaches out there in high school ball that might not even think of some way to take a purposeful out. Doug, it sounds like you weren't actually at the game and heard about it from someone ... it would be interesting to hear from someone who actually witnessed the game to hear the full story. It very well indeed may have been classless, but I just would want to hear more before rushing to judgment based solely on the score.

Doug666

Reaction score
I was not there.. I only know about this game from Facebook posts and a mutual friend. The info I received is that they were taking extra bases and stealing bases... I have no dog in this fight... No team should lose, 46 to 6.

Freeze Mizer

Reaction score
It’s unfortunate but it happens at all levels. Some schools, like mine, have no pitchers. God bless the young ladies who step up to give it a try but we’re talking about walking 15-20 girls per inning.
First off, what coach allows their team to walk that much?
If I get a big lead, my team is swinging at every pitch. If they walk, they will run laps at practice. If that doesn’t speed up the game, then we work on bunting. Finally, the base runners leave early.
We actually played a team where they had a huge lead on us. The coach didn’t know that he could have his players leave early for an out. Once he found that out, he had all three step off at the same time. The score was 29-2 at the time. Bottom of third.

wpaguy

Reaction score
why is there no 15 run rule after 3 or 10 after 5 ?

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Do you know how long 10 after 5 takes? I've seen games last 2.50 hrs.The reason it's 10 after 5 is so the girls get to play 5 at least. No one typically is concerned w scores at the JV level except parents.

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
The only way a team should hit 30 is if the other team is at 20. I'll have girl run straight into the dugout from 3rd base before I put a 30 spot up on somebody especially if they are in single digits.

daboss

Reaction score
A post above by coachjwb really asks all the right questions before we judge if the act was classless or simply running a course like an out of control freight train. I do believe better judgement and some compassion could have been used. It wasn't. Did they actually do anything wrong? No.

In OHSAA the game needs to go 5 innings to be counted as an official game. Accept it. Varsity players getting some field time in a JV game is normal practice. Even the pros in baseball send players down to AA or AAA ball to get some work in. That effects the overall record for those minor league squads but the only ones that get upset are the unknowing fans of those clubs.

JV exists so the girls can get the field time and instruction to hone their skills to a varsity level. Nobody expects them to make a career out of the JV experience. The stats are of no meaning to anyone but the kids and their families. It could trigger a response from the varsity staff that a player is now ready to move up. Other than that, there's no reason to read anymore into it. Sorry.

There is a side to this story that should be considered. Did it ever occur to you the losing team's coaching staff wanted this game to continue to get the girls as much game time experience as they possibly could? This so they could work on their weaknesses, both offensively and defensively with game experienced umpires? The score generates a negative response from fans but the experience doesn't need to be a negative one. This JV club obviously needed the work. They eventually scored 6 runs so it's not like ALL the girls rolled over and quit!

Don't be quick to judge. Many people in this world want to earn their own way and not be thrown a bone and expect others to go easy on them. While they may have been a few girls that simply gave up, the character of those willing to give their all to the bitter end gets my respect. I'm proud of those that kept playing and clawing till they got the outs to change innings. I'm proud of those players that kept hacking away and running the bases till they scored a run. Those are the players that'll get something out of this experience. They are the individuals that'll do well in life. This????? This was just a game...........

Last edited:

0203bbmom

Reaction score
We have experienced this first hand as well at the MS and JV levels through school. The one year on JV was something like 485 runs for and 11 against. So each game was a blowout and we had to play 5 innings. Some of the opponents coaches didn't want our team to let up, they wanted to make their team work. Other coaches didn't want to continue with the beating for a full 5 innings, so we got the three outs while batting as quickly as we can wheather that was by leaving base early or maybe bunting to try to let the other team work for the outs. But in no way would our coaches ever purposely run up a score against a team that was clearly not able to make plays or score runs. So I think daboss has it right. Some coaches don't want to just give up and give in. They want to make it a learning experince. But out of respect for the game alone, make sure it's not being detrimental to the other players mentally as these are kids still learning.... approach the other teams coach and get their thoughts.

DLamb

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with the score. Was this a revenge game for a game earlier in season and same thing happened? The school team my daughter plays on, they will have mercy on a team...one game they were up big in 2nd, bases loaded. Started laying down bunts. Other teams coach appreciated that we didn’t leave a base early, her kids needed to earn the outs.

Another team we played, they were poor sportsman’s after the double header loss...we were trying to get out. We play them again next week, and after their display, I do not believe mercy will be had.

City Slicker

Reaction score
Absolutely uncalled for to score 46 runs in a game. Why? What's the point? Who wins in that situation?

We've had plenty of opportunities this season to score 20 and I told our kids "Our goal is to not score 20 runs in this game." We haven't scored 20. Not that we're a great team... the competition is weak.

City Slicker

Reaction score
I saw that Brunswick won 40-0 over Akron North tonight in their sectional game. Ridiculous.

Reactions: JMT