Music at Practice?

Andrew Scott

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I am new to the tournament scene as this is my daughter’s first year playing on a competitive tournament team. We were at a tournament this weekend and there were a handful of teams who brought their own “boom box” to the games to introduce their girls and give them “walk up music” when it was their turn at bat. They also played music in between innings. My daughter, being a young girl, loved that and asked if we could get one for the team worst case to play music during practice.

I realize this is kind of an off topic question, however my question to you all is do you play music during your practices? If so do the girls get distracted by it or do they stay focused? I could make pros/cons of both sides, but curious to hear from you all. If anyone does play music, any recommendations on what to buy?

Thanks for any input.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
just don't let the girls use their phone playlists.... might hear a few surprise lyrics and you and your team will definitely be embarrassed. oh man! Seen it happen before.

OhPhat

Reaction score
Music at practice and during warmups seems to be relaxing to the girls. As for walk up music and music in between innings, it’s ok but please do not blast it loudly. Had a team last year play it so loud we could not even talk to our girls in the field.

frenchy101010

Reaction score
Was in TN a few years ago where a team from Loiusiana showed up with a cart with like 10 speakers blasted that music pre-game, during the game it was VERY annoying!!! No problems with the umps, but a grandma with a cowbell was warned not to use it, LOL.

Love the music at practice it seems to keep the girls motivated.

22dad

Reaction score
I saw the same boombox. Looked like a converted hot dog cart. They didn't let them use it during games but they still wheeled it around all week I guess for attention, or ridicule. I dont like them used to announce or walk up. Each time has been disruptive. Fine from the tower but not a bluetooth.

Freeze Mizer

Reaction score
Music for warmups? Absolutely! Anything to get the girls fired up.
I agree with OhPhat, The issue with the walk up music, especially at the venues with the “quad” setup where everyone is bunched together, is the walk up music does hinder the ability to communicate with your players if you are on an adjacent diamond.
Once again, it comes down to “common courtesy”. Much like “common sense”, it’s not that common nowadays.

daboss

Reaction score
I let this thread go for a while to see what others have to say. Mainly to give me more time to think about it and form a constructive opinion. I'm ready.

Music at practice should be a coaching staff decision-----not the players. Players will vote for it. The problem is it could be a distraction when trying to teach something. They don't play music at school that I'm aware of. There's a reason for that.

Music at a tournament between games is in my opinion a good idea. Why not as long as you're not blasting it to the other side of the park. Keep it to a restrictive level so it doesn't interfere with others in any way. Be courteous and realize that in many settings the team relaxing beside you may not care for it. If not, turn it down, turn it off, or move to a spot away from others. No, it's not about you got there first. The park is not there for your area to have a boom box concert. Take yourself somewhere else. Your boom box is an "artificial" element you brought into this outdoor setting. Respect others that want a natural outdoor experience.

Music before or during a game should be the decision of the tournament director. If they want to provide that element to sensationalize the game experience I have no issue. However; for a team to impose that element before and during a game is disrespectful unless both teams agree to it and they get the okay from the TD.

I want the kids to have fun. I want all to enjoy the experience. If approached by an opposing coach and asking for my blessing I would agree to it if the TD and the umpires say okay. I would expect the other team would be fair and impartial in their music selection but if their goal is to use it as a distracting tactic I would protest it in a heartbeat. Again, it's about being respectful. If you can't display and practice it I won't be a part of it.