All-District and All-Ohio Teams?

haters00

Reaction score
Maybe, The High School coach will fill out the all state application and use the stats stored in Max Preps/Game changer. They bring their players resume to the meeting and coaches review schedule, stats etc then vote for top 15. The highest vote getters make it. All coaches do get contacted regardless if they voted or not however I will say if they were not at the meeting none of their players were voted on.
Here is SW Ohio

Coaches meet to review schedule, stats, etc then a vote for the top 15 is done... but those top 15 are not always those with the strongest schedule and/or highest stats and that is where the biggest problem lies. The second biggest problem is the fact that if a Coach is not in attendance their players will not have the ability to be voted for. That goes back to my original point of making it mandatory at a Coaching job level to attend meetings and represent your players.

Stats absolutely can be inflated, there is no doubt there but I feel by using Gamechanger it would hold the scorekeeper accountable a bit more than paper and pen. I am sure if parents and others outside the Coach can view games and stats if they start seeing blatant inflation of stats someone will say something. You can't say a kid had 20 season HR's with 200 RBI's on Gamechanger when they did not without having someone say something. It is definitely a start to helping with more visibility for areas in the past that may not have had much in the past.

It's all about allowing all student athletes the opportunity to be praised for the hard work they do!

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Coaches meet to review schedule, stats, etc then a vote for the top 15 is done... but those top 15 are not always those with the strongest schedule and/or highest stats and that is where the biggest problem lies. The second biggest problem is the fact that if a Coach is not in attendance their players will not have the ability to be voted for. That goes back to my original point of making it mandatory at a Coaching job level to attend meetings and represent your players.

Stats absolutely can be inflated, there is no doubt there but I feel by using Gamechanger it would hold the scorekeeper accountable a bit more than paper and pen. I am sure if parents and others outside the Coach can view games and stats if they start seeing blatant inflation of stats someone will say something. You can't say a kid had 20 season HR's with 200 RBI's on Gamechanger when they did not without having someone say something. It is definitely a start to helping with more visibility for areas in the past that may not have had much in the past.

It's all about allowing all student athletes the opportunity to be praised for the hard work they do!

The old league sid stats site in SW Ohio that stopped this year were fairly accurate. Before posting stats both teams had a chance to reconsile. Naturally; non league or out of area stats could be altered but over the years things seemed to be pretty much straight up in the GMC and old FAVC.

As far as getting the ladies praise, a lot of that falls on the head coach and how they choose to run their program. The Max Preps has a lot of options for coaches and players but I would say less than 50% will use it to its full benifit. https://www.maxpreps.com/state/softball/ohio.htm .Also, most schools do have local news contacts. Our local paper does a good job of reporting our area high school sports and acomplishments.

Bean2019

Reaction score
MaxPreps and GameChanger are jokes at the moment. They could be very good tools but until they get more serious about being accurate and used by most of the schools, they will never be reliable enough. The south western conferences in the state have the best websites and maintain the best transparency that I see stat wise. Yes there are some "homers" keeping the books but for the most part, they aren't terrible. Stats should only be used as benchmarks and not taken as the "gospel" truth. So many things play into them - - competition/conferences, fields (yes I wish we played @ Springfield every game even when it is cold. That field is a launch pad.), the "official" score keeper, weather and even what the girls ate for lunch (ok maybe not this one, but you get the idea) . . . . a lot of intangibles are not captured in stats - what type of teammate, attitude, work ethic ect . . . Coaches would be the best source for this information but then you need coaches capable of conveying this information without bias. Oh and they need to attend the meetings ! . . . is this the rant section of the forum?

Reaction score
MaxPreps and GameChanger are absolutely underutilized and its unfortunate. They are great tools for scheduling, stats, standings, scouting, and local media. I think part of it is coaches being "old school" and not wanting to learn them, part of it is coaches not caring that much and part of it because coaches simply are not aware. If everyone used MaxPreps and GameChanger, I would think it would simplify the legitimacy of the voting process for conferences and districts throughout the state.

Thats all.

Nate Schick
Lakeview, Division 2 - NE District

Bean2019

Reaction score
Let's not let all the blame go to the coaches either. The athletic directors need to take a more active role as well to ensure that coaches are utilizing/learning the tools, updating in a timely manner and attending meetings as well. I know both roles are under appreciated, but this is part of what you signed up for.

PlayTwo

Reaction score
The time to announce these is as soon as they are determined so they can be celebrated while the kids are still in school. That way the kids get the attention and accolades they have earned, and it boosts the game overall. That some coaches want to control and hide this information from their girls is, frankly, despicable and wrongheaded. Raise the game!

BruisedShins

Reaction score
Maybe they'll wait until week 1 of football to make sure there will be no coverage at all!

Bean2019

Reaction score
What was funny was listening to the radio announcers for some of the state games when they would say "such and such, an all-state player" Glad they had the list.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
What was funny was listening to the radio announcers for some of the state games when they would say "such and such, an all-state player" Glad they had the list.
Coaches leave with the announcers a bio for the starters and roster with them. Some announcers do a little more homework than others with checking league sites etc.

Rocket8

Reaction score
Lakota East should find out tonight at awards banquet...