10U Coaches Poll Week #5 (5-27-19) Get Your Votes In!!!

oiler_pride

Reaction score
10U Coaches,

Submit your top 10 to me by WEDNESDAY at 11PM. Remember to include your name and team you are representing. You must be a coach or designated representative of your team in order to vote. Must include #1-10 in your vote

You can PM me or email me at: jeffreylsteiner@gmail.com

I will post results on Thursday morning.

Jeff Steiner
330-307-7551

Stingrays08

Reaction score
The Ohio Stingrays 08 played in the Firefighters Memorial Tournament this past weekend at Berliner Park with 7 of the top ten teams from last weeks pool. The Rays finished the weekend 4-1.
Beat Wizards 09- 17-2
Beat Bulldawgs Elite- 16-0
Beat Vikings Elite 10U- 16-0
Beat Ohio Thunder 08- 7-2
Lost to Beverly Bandits Demarini 08- 7-2

For the month of May, the Rays finished 17-3!
Our overall record is 47-18-2.

We are off this upcoming weekend as we get ready for Laser Nation on June 7-9.

Richard Smith

Reaction score
The Ohio Storm 08 played in the Firefighters Memorial this past weekend at Berliner. The team went 3-0 in pool play, Storm pitchers pitched a no-hitter and 2 perfect games in pool play. The team played well, but lost 9-2 in bracket play to Wolfpack-Wolff.

Overall Record: 44-11-2

Firefighters Memorial Results: 3-1
Storm 17 Buckeye Heat 0
Storm 12 Aftershock 0
Storm 3 Bandits Demarini -Bailey 0
Wolfpack-Wolf 9 Storm 2

Upcoming schedule:
USSSA Central States Ring Event June 14-16
Loudonville Tournament June 22-23 (several of these top 10 teams in this tournament)
Black Widows Summer Classic June 29-30
Stingrays Showcase July 12-14
ASA/USA 10U 'A' East Nationals Johnson City Tennessee July 24-28

Last edited:

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
BBD09 went to battle in the FFM this weekend.... love the turf, great communication, great cause, tons of teams, and had some great weather.

Overall Record: 45-30-1

Pool Play
Lost to Storm08 3-0
Beat Buckeye Heat09 12-0
Beat Aftershock08 17-1

Qualified for the Gold Bracket
Sweet 16
Beat Michigan Finesse Munoz 9-1

Quarterfinals
Beat NKY Bandits08 3-2

Semifinals
Lost to Bandits Premier 10-0

Finished with a T3 Finish and at 4-2 and pretty proud of my little 09 team. Off next weekend, then the Toledo Tune-up vs some tough competition... 7gg round robin games vs Finesse-Davis, BC Elite08, MOV WV08, Michigan Renegades, Achor Bay Angels, Stealers 08, Chatham Golden Eagles Blue 08.....

Ty Ault

Reaction score
Mov pride 08 ohio Ault
Played firefighter memorial last weekend
Pool play 2- 1 Gold bracket 0-1 bracket play.
7 0 vs usssa pride red -WON
6 0 vs BANDITS Futures premeier -LOSS
5 4 vs Bluegrass elite -won
2 0 vs mov pride 08 wv -Loss

Played really well all weekend.., just ran into the champs and runners up early!!!.... the 2 Loss was to Gold Bracket RUNNER UP and Gold Tournament Champions !!!!

Bandits, we gave up only 4 runs earned 2 was on back to back pitches passed balls. We played the Bandits closer than anyone all weekend other than Bandits Hool.

Mov pride 08 wv , we got to play them with a fresh ace pitcher and went 6 innings and lost 2 0. Had runners on and was 1 hit aways from tieing the game..umpire behind the plate called a base runner out for leaving early when the base ump was standing there and never made the call...this was for the 3rd out of the inning and lead off batter was up.
We played the best vs the mov pride 08 wv then anyone in the tournament 2 0 loss, other then their 1 and only loss vs Bandits premier future in championship.

Bluegrass elite score not impressive but in our defense we played every kid in a position they never played the entire game... knowing we would be playing our sister pride team first rd if we win this game... we played to win with kids in positions they normally dont play to give them their oppurtunity. We still won 5 to 4.

We r off to USA tom Dooley memorial in Wv, vs pitt power 10A, vs lady Patriots 10B team 2 pitchers in the low 50s and 119south 10B, who has the pitcher that beat us 2 0 subbing for the mov pride 08 wv this last weekend.

Key wins
Wolfpack 08 wolff
Sgs magic 08 ,drop dead
Michigan Sabercats08
Ky Bluegrass elite
Usssa Navy 08
Ohio Thunder 08
Wizards gold 08
C.Ohio Pride 08 x2
Mid oh lady bullets x2
Tri state thunder MD. x2
Wolf pack 08 wolff tie

Notable losses
Indiana magic gold Moore?
Laser orange 10 9
Mov pride 08 wv 2 0
Bandits premiere future 6 0
Bandits demarini hool ?
Lady Patriots 4 3
Stingrays 2x

Last edited:

kidbuckeye

Reaction score
Lasers Orange went 2-2 at Firefighters. We opened up Friday by losing to Ohio Ice Blue. This marked our first and only tournament loss to a true 10U Ohio team this season. The girls played flawless last weekend then the first inning of Firefighters they looked like a different team.

Pool Play
L Ohio Ice Blue
W Buckeye Elite 08
W Roadwarriors

Bracket
Beverly Bandits Premier (Indiana)

We are off this weekend gearing up for Laser Nation.

Lasers Orange '08 Achievements
Crushin Childhood Cancer- (runner up) undefeated but rained out, went by run differential instead of runs allowed
Beverly Bandits Super Elite Fall Futures- (Champs)
Pitch For The Cure- (Champs)
Thunder Fall Classic- (Co-Champs, power outage from wind storm)
Battle at Berliner - (Champs)
May Madness- (Champs)

Key wins:
Finesse-Davis
Heartland Havoc Heartbreakers
Ohio Storm 08 x 2
Beverly Bandits Demarini 08 (#1 ranked team in Michigan)
Stingrays 08 x 2
Beverly Bandits 09
MOV Pride OH
Indiana Magic Gold
Federation (Texas)
MOV Pride WV
Wolfpack
Team PA x 2

Richard Smith

Reaction score
Rant: I am just going to say this, because it's happened quite frequently. This is something that has not/will not ever happen on the Ohio Storm '08 team. Although it's not illegal in some sanctioning bodies, in my opinion it's wrong and sends the wrong message to young players. The majority of the teams in these rankings are doing the right thing, practicing and working with the players on their roster and pushing them to be better. Some however, feel the need to pick up ACE pitchers from other out-of-state organizations to come pitch for their team in tournaments. The need to pick up another player or 2 because you only have 8 players for a tournament is one thing, but to bring in what you consider an ace pitcher from out of state, when you have enough players on your roster to play a tournament, is another thing. Not sure exactly why coaches do this, but in my opinion, you are so desperate to win and compete with the top teams, that you don't care about the message you are sending to your regular rostered players. Nor do you care what some of your parents are saying behind your back, when their daughter doesn't get to play, pitch or bat, or plays very little. As evident this past weekend, upon talking to one parent from another team while watching their game. I simply asked them, "who's the pitcher?" Their response, "she's from out-of-state, apparently our pitchers aren't good enough, but I don't have anything to do with all of that." I will close by saying this. Coaches that do this, if you think some parents are not talking behind your back about your decision to do this, they are, and when you get beat by a team that is doing the right thing, well you don't really want to know what they are saying. But remember this, there is always plenty of conversation in the car between parents on the way home after a tournament, with a player from your team sitting in the back seat and overhearing that conversation. I have to say, the Storm in 57 games this season, has not faced any out of state Aces brought in by teams and this rant is not because the Storm got beat by any out-of-state Aces. So if the batting helmet fits, wear it, and try coaching the players you have. Instead of having a negative impact on your young players, by giving them the indication that they are not good enough to compete with the top teams. If the batting helmet doesn't fit, then kudos to the teams doing the right thing, by being dedicated, committed and making a positive impact on the young players you picked last August to play for your team. JMO

Last edited:

Jamie Wolff

Reaction score
Website
www.ohiowolfpack.com
Ohio Wolfpack - Wolff played at Firefighters Memorial this past weekend at Berliner. We went 2-1 in pool play.

Overall Record: 37-10-2

Firefighters Memorial Results: 5-2

Pool Play:
Wolfpack vs. Muskie Chix 9-2 W
Wolfpack vs. Bandits DeMarini - Hool 10-5 L
Wolfpack vs. Cincy Shock 11-1 W

Bracket Play:
Wolfpack vs. Buckeye Charge 14-2 W
Wolfpack vs. Storm 9-2 W
Wolfpack vs. Ice Blue 3-2 W
Wolfpack vs MOV Pride WV 9-1 L

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
Rant: I am just going to say this, because it's happened quite frequently. This is something that has not/will not ever happen on the Ohio Storm '08 team. Although it's not illegal in some sanctioning bodies, in my opinion it's wrong and sends the wrong message to young players. The majority of the teams in these rankings are doing the right thing, practicing and working with the players on their roster and pushing them to be better. Some however, feel the need to pick up ACE pitchers from other out-of-state organizations to come pitch for their team in tournaments. The need to pick up another player or 2 because you only have 8 players for a tournament is one thing, but to bring in what you consider an ace pitcher from out of state, when you have enough players on your roster to play a tournament, is another thing. Not sure exactly why coaches do this, but in my opinion, you are so desperate to win and compete with the top teams, that you don't care about the message you are sending to your regular rostered players. Nor do you care what some of your parents are saying behind your back, when their daughter doesn't get to play, pitch or bat, or plays very little. As evident this past weekend, upon talking to one parent from another team while watching their game. I simply asked them, "who's the pitcher?" Their response, "she's from out-of-state, apparently our pitchers aren't good enough, but I don't have anything to do with all of that." I will close by saying this. Coaches that do this, if you think some parents are not talking behind your back about your decision to do this, they are, and when you get beat by a team that is doing the right thing, well you don't really want to know what they are saying. But remember this, there is always plenty of conversation in the car between parents on the way home after a tournament, with a player from your team sitting in the back seat and overhearing that conversation. I have to say, the Storm in 57 games this season, has not faced any out of state Aces brought in by teams and this rant is not because the Storm got beat by any out-of-state Aces. So if the batting helmet fits, wear it, and try coaching the players you have. Instead of having a negative impact on your young players, by giving them the indication that they are not good enough to compete with the top teams. If the batting helmet doesn't fit, then kudos to the teams doing the right thing, by being dedicated, committed and making a positive impact on the young players you picked last August to play for your team. JMO

I can't like this enough......

I like saying that I beat you with MY team..... I rank based on your team also, if you brought in a stud pitcher and won the tournament, it is just like not being there to me when I fill out my top 10......

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would need to bring in a Pitcher. I have heard more talk of teams having multiple Pitchers that throw 50+ this year. I bet I didn't legitimately see a half dozen girls that threw in the 50's last year!!! Yet, it seems every team has 1-2 that are doing it according to the posts I see on here and Facebook. SMH. Everyone loves the polls, but don't work so hard for excuses - just play and have fun!

wahhutch9

Reaction score
SGS Magic went 1-2 in pool play at Firefighters this past weekend. We were in one of, if not the, toughest pool (IMO) with eventual runner-up MOV Pride WV and NKY Bandits 08. We knew it would be a tough battle in pool play.. but couldn’t get the bats going consistently against those two solid teams on Saturday (down our #4 hitter Saturday due to her sister’s graduation... and we couldn’t pick up the slack.) As a result, we ended up in Silver... where the girls went 4-0 on Sunday to win that bracket. It wasn’t the bracket we had hoped for, but I was proud of the girls’s efforts.

We’re off this coming weekend (half of our girls are in volleyball and soccer tournaments.) Then back at it the following weekend at the Tune Up.

SonicMojo

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would need to bring in a Pitcher. I have heard more talk of teams having multiple Pitchers that throw 50+ this year. I bet I didn't legitimately see a half dozen girls that threw in the 50's last year!!! Yet, it seems every team has 1-2 that are doing it according to the posts I see on here and Facebook. SMH. Everyone loves the polls, but don't work so hard for excuses - just play and have fun!

Yea, what team would bring in a stud pitcher from another team when they've already got pitchers on their roster? LOL

Jamie Wolff

Reaction score
Website
www.ohiowolfpack.com

I agree with both Richard and Matt...

I totally understand bringing in a girl(s) when you don’t have enough to play or even an extra to have a sub. But when you bring in “ringers” week in and week out, just to win doesn’t make sense.

I also understand that there are no rules against it, so we will continue to get better and hopefully be better than the “ringers” they bring in.

08DDF2

Reaction score
At some point bringing in a stud will negatively impact the team and the organization. I get the competitive nature of the idea, but what about building a solid organization built on more than the idea of winning. The one positive is that it gives the high level teams more competition. I am amazed at how many teams bring over girls when they are not short, but like Wolff said just have to work harder and get better to beat teams with or without ringers.

Duke3dh

Reaction score
I agree with everything said above, but there are 2 sides to every story. what if it was your daughter and Corona, So Cal, Mojo or Blaze called you and wanted your daughter to come play with them in a big time tourney? Do you say no? I don’t want my daughter to experience that and put any of your girls out, or do you say yes this will be an amazing opportunity for my daughter to compete against the very best and see how she compares. I don’t care either way. It’s an interesting convo. I see the positive and negatives from both sides.

PlayTwo

Reaction score
If you're the pitcher, you take the opportunity. But definitely a terrible thing for the coach to do if there are pitchers on the roster. We were on a team a couple years ago where the coach specifically promised he wouldn't do this. We made clear that we were only accepting the roster position based on his promise not to use sub pitchers. We had 3 pitchers on the roster, and he brought in a 'ringer' from another team to pitch in a FALL tournament. We found a new home the next week.

JAK00L11

Reaction score
Website
movpridefastpitch.com
Definitely two sides to every story. I can see the side for the case made in the above posts and agree with much of it. But there are multiple reasons teams “bring in” players or subs throughout the year and to be honest it really doesn’t matter who brings in who as long as they are age appropriate and no rules are broken. If you’re telling your team, parents or even other teams that you lost cause the opposing team brought in a “ringer” what kind of message is that sending to your team? As always good luck to everyone and it’s all about the girls (not the coach or the organization or trophies).

Swing4thefence

Reaction score
Definitely two sides to every story. I can see the side for the case made in the above posts and agree with much of it. But there are multiple reasons teams “bring in” players or subs throughout the year and to be honest it really doesn’t matter who brings in who as long as they are age appropriate and no rules are broken. If you’re telling your team, parents or even other teams that you lost cause the opposing team brought in a “ringer” what kind of message is that sending to your team? As always good luck to everyone and it’s all about the girls (not the coach or the organization or trophies).
If I was also a head coach of one of those teams bringing in the “ringer” pitcher, I definitely wouldn’t brag about beating a better team either. Because it wasn’t you’re “true” team beating the better team. Me personally I think it’s bush league. But I guess that’s apart of the game, there is 0 rules against it. What kind of message is that sending to the original pitchers on the roster? Instead of bringing in other girls, how about building up your Organization and winning ball games with your original team and make other people see what your doing and maybe make them want to come play with you.
Just my opinion. Good topic tho!

AFranke

Reaction score
I always thought you had to follow certain rules when it came to rosters. In USSSA don't the girls have to be on your roster to be able to play? I know some tourneys are USA/ASA,PGF, etc.. But don't they have rules when it comes to rosters? Or do you have to be qualified for nationals for rosters to be locked?

JAK00L11

Reaction score
Website
movpridefastpitch.com
If I was also a head coach of one of those teams bringing in the “ringer” pitcher, I definitely wouldn’t brag about beating a better team either. Because it wasn’t you’re “true” team beating the better team. Me personally I think it’s bush league. But I guess that’s apart of the game, there is 0 rules against it. What kind of message is that sending to the original pitchers on the roster? Instead of bringing in other girls, how about building up your Organization and winning ball games with your original team and make other people see what your doing and maybe make them want to come play with you.
Just my opinion. Good topic tho!

I’m just not following some of the lines of thinking on this topic but it really doesn’t matter. Would love to discuss this issue more but don’t think it belongs in the Poll chat. I’m sure it’s been talked about repeatedly in this forum since it’s existence. This issue is probably just as old as the sport itself.