OHSSA Final Four predictions in all divisions

Run26

Reaction score
nice win by Louisville last night up north and it looks to me like Walsh has it rolling once again. They haven't given up a run in 3 games.

Central Ohio may be interesting this year with the usual suspects in Gahanna & Teays Valley still in the hunt but don't sleep on new comers Westerville Central and Mount Vernon.

I believe the MV hurler is an OSU signee.

DJB11

Reaction score
I would notch Poland Seminary as the top Softball team in the state. I put Western Brown a close Second. They have some great ballers.

Western Brown needs to beef up the non-conference schedule to be ready for run in playoffs. This can apply to many quality teams.

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
It is Louisville to lose, they came out of the Massillon meat grinder district where 3 of those teams could have won any other district.

Last edited:

tjsmize3

Reaction score
It is Louisville to lose, they came out of the Massillon meat grinder district where 3 of those teams could have won any other district.

Wow! I don't think any other district in Ohio could (or would) make that claim. I knew that quality softball players came out of the Massillon district, just didn't know they were that much better than everyone else. I saw the Leopards play one time this year and they were very good! I wish them luck along with all of the 15 teams who have found a way to get it done to this point. Anything can happen once you make it this far.

Last edited:

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
So if I understand you correctly (which maybe I'm not); you are saying that they need to take strong teams out of districts that have other, competitive strong teams along with them, and place them in weaker districts? Wouldn't that create far worse problems?

You'd have the same teams beating up their districts every year instead of having competition within the district. Sounds like a far worse idea to me. Again, maybe I misinterpreted your post?

It seem to work just fine in the Sw and Columbus doing super seeding in each regional.

MaddKennaMax

Reaction score
It really did not take long for this thread to go off topic. Also, The OP was asking for final four predictions for ALL divisions. However, All I ever see in these types of posts are D1 schools. This makes me chuckle since it seems all anybody ever thinks is that D1 is the end all be all. I would argue that over the last 2 years the D3 champion very well could have beaten ANY other division champion.

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
MaddKennaMaz you are right Warren Champion is one heck of a team.

MaddKennaMax

Reaction score
MaddKennaMaz you are right Warren Champion is one heck of a team.
Yes they are. We have played them twice in the state semis over the last 4 years (not this year). I would take them over anybody in both those years.

Run26

Reaction score
Warren Champion is in Dynasty range with what they're doing in D3. I think they are trying for their 4th state championship in a row. That coach knows how to get the most of her small roster. They are never afraid to play anyone. I believe they lost 1-0 this year to Keystone and a close game against Lake as well.

Farmdad

Reaction score
It really did not take long for this thread to go off topic. Also, The OP was asking for final four predictions for ALL divisions. However, All I ever see in these types of posts are D1 schools. This makes me chuckle since it seems all anybody ever thinks is that D1 is the end all be all. I would argue that over the last 2 years the D3 champion very well could have beaten ANY other division champion.

Totally agree...and I would put DII Keystone up there with Warren Champion as one of the best teams in the state regardless of division.

daboss

Reaction score
There's a lot to be said about being the best or being the best that day in the tournament format being used. Some times it pays to be lucky. To win it all you need both. Padding the sectional brackets to try and change the district bracket line up is the poorest excuse and reason for debate I have ever heard. Everybody gets to be somebody in this world. The best teams from their respective regions are in the final 4 this year and every year.

High school ball doesn't have the sophisticated ranking system in place you find in D1 college or professional sports. Vegas does not set up an odds line on these teams. Don't take away from the kids moments they are experiencing. We wish all the teams a positive outcome by saying "Good luck" for a reason. It has its place.

In this game more than others it's the mistake that loses a game far more often than the big play that wins a game. Play mistake free ball and the odds will favor you to be a winner.

Farmdad

Reaction score
There's a lot to be said about being the best or being the best that day in the tournament format being used. Some times it pays to be lucky. To win it all you need both. Padding the sectional brackets to try and change the district bracket line up is the poorest excuse and reason for debate I have ever heard. Everybody gets to be somebody in this world. The best teams from their respective regions are in the final 4 this year and every year.

High school ball doesn't have the sophisticated ranking system in place you find in D1 college or professional sports. Vegas does not set up an odds line on these teams. Don't take away from the kids moments they are experiencing. We wish all the teams a positive outcome by saying "Good luck" for a reason. It has its place.

In this game more than others it's the mistake that loses a game far more often than the big play that wins a game. Play mistake free ball and the odds will favor you to be a winner.

Yes...tough to win single elimination tournaments. Look at Keystone this morning...an off day hitting and a couple of off innings pitching against a very good Lakewood team and you go home. Would love to see best of three series in the championship and semi-finals. Most of all, would love to see HS softball played in the fall so the kids could get their games in and in decent weather!

Last edited:

Run26

Reaction score
Yes...tough to win single elimination tournaments. Look at Keystone this morning...an off day hitting and a couple of off innings pitching against a very good Lakewood team and you go home. Would love to see best of three series in the championship and semi-finals. Most of all, would love to see HS softball played in the fall so the kids could get their games in and in decent weather!

Hmmmmm this wreaks of a bitter LaGrange fan. How in the world would HS softball move to a best of 3 series for just the finals? How is that fair to all the other teams that have to deal with a 1 and done? Single elimination is what makes the playoffs that much more intense. Step up or go home. It also puts a lot of onus on who's hot and who's not. Nothing wrong with that and it happens all the time in college and pro sports. Does the NCAA basketball champion mean they played the best all year, absolutely not but they were when it mattered.

Also, Keystone is a mainstay of high level HS softball but anyone who follows late season HS softball knows that Hebron Lakewood can take on anyone. They have one heck of a travel ball feeder program and have been notoriously in the final 4. They have won the state 2 of the last 3 years. I'm going to go with the outplayed Keystone versus Keystone "had an off day hitting".

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Wow! I don't think any other district in Ohio could (or would) make that claim. I knew that quality softball players came out of the Massillon district, just didn't know they were that much better than everyone else. I saw the Leopards play one time this year and they were very good! I wish them luck along with all of the 15 teams who have found a way to get it done to this point. Anything can happen once you make it this with Lakota EAST
. Let’s hope Lakota EAST can keep it close

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LMAO....now we have someone who didn't like the outcome and wants to now change how all high school sports champions are determined in Ohio! Baseball, boys and girls basketball, soccer, volleyball, etc would all go to best of 3 games/matches....SMH

And do you think the weather would be better playing the Championship during the first week of November or now? C'mon, pull your big boy pants up and suck it up - it will all be okay!

Farmdad

Reaction score
LMAO....now we have someone who didn't like the outcome and wants to now change how all high school sports champions are determined in Ohio! Baseball, boys and girls basketball, soccer, volleyball, etc would all go to best of 3 games/matches....SMH

And do you think the weather would be better playing the Championship during the first week of November or now? C'mon, pull your big boy pants up and suck it up - it will all be okay!

Wow...you must be some kind of real tough guy to come after me from the safety of your home! If you actually took the time to read (and comprehend) you would see I was responding to a comment about the whiners that are crying that their districts are too hard. I don't really follow volleyball, basketball, soccer, etc...and never said a word about those sports. You seemed to be worried about my pants, so maybe you became confused there for a minute. The softball season runs 11 weeks and would be over before the end of October. I can guarantee you the weather would be better the entire season vs what the kids play in now. I root for a small school that has never and will most likely never make a regional. I'll never have a dog in the fight, but I do watch a lot of NCAA softball, and they do this thing called a double elimination tournament that works pretty well. I'm also an old man, I wear old man pants and they are always falling down because that's what old man pants do. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Farmdad

Reaction score
Hmmmmm this wreaks of a bitter LaGrange fan. How in the world would HS softball move to a best of 3 series for just the finals? How is that fair to all the other teams that have to deal with a 1 and done? Single elimination is what makes the playoffs that much more intense. Step up or go home. It also puts a lot of onus on who's hot and who's not. Nothing wrong with that and it happens all the time in college and pro sports. Does the NCAA basketball champion mean they played the best all year, absolutely not but they were when it mattered.

Also, Keystone is a mainstay of high level HS softball but anyone who follows late season HS softball knows that Hebron Lakewood can take on anyone. They have one heck of a travel ball feeder program and have been notoriously in the final 4. They have won the state 2 of the last 3 years. I'm going to go with the outplayed Keystone versus Keystone "had an off day hitting".

Nope...only know about Keystone from what we hear at pitching lessons. I'm not really into pissing matches over kids' sports...any sports for that matter. So let's just agree that the school you root for is the best at everything...there, feel better? You mentioned NCAA basketball, but for some reason ignore the fact that NCAA SOFTBALL plays a double elimination tournament and it works pretty well...it even seems intense!

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow...you must be some kind of real tough guy to come after me from the safety of your home! If you actually took the time to read (and comprehend) you would see I was responding to a comment about the whiners that are crying that their districts are too hard. I don't really follow volleyball, basketball, soccer, etc...and never said a word about those sports. You seemed to be worried about my pants, so maybe you became confused there for a minute. The softball season runs 11 weeks and would be over before the end of October. I can guarantee you the weather would be better the entire season vs what the kids play in now. I root for a small school that has never and will most likely never make a regional. I'll never have a dog in the fight, but I do watch a lot of NCAA softball, and they do this thing called a double elimination tournament that works pretty well. I'm also an old man, I wear old man pants and they are always falling down because that's what old man pants do. I'm sorry if that bothers you.
Not sure when you are actually wanting to start the fall season, but if it was to start when other fall sports start, yes it would be ending in early November.

And I'm usually at a ball field most weekends, NO HIDING here. I'd have the same conversation on here, as we could have at a field this weekend. I'm Old School too, but if I couldn't keep my pants up, I'd buy a belt....
This is high school sports, not just a pick and choose a sport. So what is done for one, would be done for all! Even the couple of money making sports don't get that kind of extra treatment. Let alone the one's that cost money...

Come on out to a field and I'll buy you a belt and a walking taco to help keep those pants up!

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Tournament play is good the way it is set up currently. The games are not going to get much more intence than single elimination games...Coaches have to use their skill to get any advantage they can. Players must play mistake free softball. The team that makes the least amount of mistakes and executes on offence gets the prize and over the years I have watched many of GREAT games. There are also other issues with trying to do series type tournaments that would take away from the tournament itsself.

Here is the OHSAA fall end of season calender. Moving softball to fall would kill a lot of teams. Too many ladies would choose Volleyball or Soccer over softball in most schools.

https://ohsaa.org/calendar/fall