Batting entire roster

Icemike

Reaction score
I give the Lasers and Mark a ton of credit for a well run tournament this past weekend. I wish all the other summer tournaments would follow suit and allow the entire roster to bat all weekend. It allows all the kids that work and practice hard to participate. It certainly does not provide an advantage since your top 5-6 hitters will get fewer at bats. It simply gives everyone a chance to get better in the summer. As a coach, it is incredibly hard to sit kids down on Sunday. You can still choose to bat 9. I see it as a win-win.

stampede04

Reaction score
I give the Lasers and Mark a ton of credit for a well run tournament this past weekend. I wish all the other summer tournaments would follow suit and allow the entire roster to bat all weekend. It allows all the kids that work and practice hard to participate. It certainly does not provide an advantage since your top 5-6 hitters will get fewer at bats. It simply gives everyone a chance to get better in the summer. As a coach, it is incredibly hard to sit kids down on Sunday. You can still choose to bat 9. I see it as a win-win.
Agreed. The tournament was EXTREMELY well run, and I, too, liked being able to bat my entire roster all weekend.

coachjwb

Reaction score
I like coaches having a choice, but I can see some potential issues as well. An "A" level team is going to be much deeper than "B" or "C" level teams, and possibly make the disparity between such teams playing each other even greater. And then if one team does it, and the other doesn't want to for whatever reason, does pressure from parents actually more or less force the coach to do so and possibly encourage some coaches not to put weaker hitting players on their teams? I do think it makes more sense to do in the younger age groups and of course tournaments that are not national qualifiers.

I'm glad to hear that the tournament was well run!

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
A couple of things to remember...

- Just because you’re allowed to bat the entire roster doesn’t mean that you MUST bat the entire roster. A coach has the option of batting nine, or of using the DP/FLEX. If you think that gives your team an advantage, by all means you can do that.

- If you’re playing USA softball, their standard rule is that you may bat the roster in pool play. However, in bracket play a conventional line-up must be used. Again, this is their standard rule. A tournament that isn’t a national qualifier may modify that if they wish.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In USSSA you are able to use 2 AP's - so you can bat up to 11 & if using a DP/Flex, have a lineup of 12...