Trying out for multiple teams

kochdawn

Reaction score
Anyone have experience trying out for multiple travel teams?

Do you get time to give the coach a decision, especially if you have another tryout a week or two later?

DLamb

Reaction score
Anyone have experience trying out for multiple travel teams?

Do you get time to give the coach a decision, especially if you have another tryout a week or two later?
From my experiences, the earlier the tryouts...more time to make a decision. Come 3rd week of August and still trying out won’t leave much time to make a decision. Others will have more knowledge.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
It depends on the type of team you are trying out for and what their needs are...

If you are trying out for one of the stronger programs I would say you "may" have a week.
If you are just looking at one of the smaller organizations or B level teams they will hold open spots longer and expand rosters if needed.

Reaction score
Agree with Cards in general. If your daughter's talents stack up near the top of the team she is trying out for, you may get more time. If her talent puts her in the middle or bottom part of the team she is looking at, you likely won't get much time before they move to the next girl.

Cougerfan

Reaction score
I would recommend that your dd tryout for multiple teams. You never know what a team's needs our. You should try to go to multiple tryouts early and make a decision as soon as possible because coaches won't hold spots long and most teams only carry between 10 too 12 players.

denise_anngolf

Reaction score
My DD tried out for 3 “A” level teams last year. I scheduled private tryouts all in the same week. We didn’t have much time to decide as all 3 of them made offers and needed to know ASAP, so they could move on to the next if we were a “no”. As previously mentioned, different levels offer different time frames. It is so stressful! We made the right decision with our choice in teams. Good luck!

RandIdad

Reaction score
What is to expect at a typical tryout? Also, if multiple days are posted by the same team is it recommended to go to both dates or is one better to go to than the other to be noticed? One of the teams we are looking at has their second tryout on the same time slot as another team we like.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
What is to expect at a typical tryout? Also, if multiple days are posted by the same team is it recommended to go to both dates or is one better to go to than the other to be noticed? One of the teams we are looking at has their second tryout on the same time slot as another team we like.

A typical tryout for one of the higher level organizations last about 2 to 4 hours so drink water the night before and get rest prior to the work out. We would put 10s in their own workout and combine 12s/14 in the other am session.
The 16-18-and 18+ did afternoon workouts. Some of the very talented 14s would actually attend both.

Our tryouts were very intense and was set up to push the ladies to make plays not just field routine fly and ground balls. If they were not dirty they had a bad day.
During hitting we evaluated tee work, soft toss and machine work that included bunting.

Pitchers and catchers worked out at the end so they had to have good stamina.

If your DD was sick had a bad work out and you really want to get noticed by that team than yes. Go back so they can have another look. If she did her best but was not contacted they most likely are not interested,

One other thing at tryouts is look at the talent attending. If your DD is head and shoulders above those working out it may not be a good fit. Same if your DD is one of the weaker ones.

Try to find a team where she can be challenged and grow her skills and the family can afford the schedule. Ask questions about coaching experience/certifications is it parent lead or non parent coached, (not that one is any better than the other but in most cases not parent teams cost more). Ask about the schedule fall/winter/spring and summer.
Roster size and how many returning players. Generally most of your more established teams are only looking to fill 2 to 4 roster spots if a team is looking for 6 or more that could be a red flag. How is fees structured and are there any fundraisers.

Last edited:

denise_anngolf

Reaction score
If a team sees a player they can't resist, they will make an offer. Sometimes at the tryout. They won't wait until the second round of tryouts. I would prioritize your list by most interested to least interested. If the days and times over lap, contact the coach of the teams to see if they can do a private tryout. Many coaches are willing to do private tryouts. Many high level teams only do private tryouts.

kochdawn

Reaction score
My DD tried out for 3 “A” level teams last year. I scheduled private tryouts all in the same week. We didn’t have much time to decide as all 3 of them made offers and needed to know ASAP, so they could move on to the next if we were a “no”. As previously mentioned, different levels offer different time frames. It is so stressful! We made the right decision with our choice in teams. Good luck!
Sounds like it worked out!! All these tryouts are weeks apart--I know a team is not going to wait 3 weeks to get an answer :(