December Birthday's...Not right...:(

melissa400

Reaction score
So I have a child who misses cutoff by 3 days....What is the best option for her?? Now she HAS to play 14 U with other's having a year+ up on her :( Nearly IMPOSSIBLE finding a YOUNG 06 team....Any suggestions?

Stedman00

Reaction score
happens a bunch, put her on a 14u squad and push her to get better. Ages tend to start merging together in 14, 16 & 18u. Heck, lots of tourney, have "HS age" as a division, that is 14-18U teams playing against each other.

Run26

Reaction score
happens a bunch, put her on a 14u squad and push her to get better. Ages tend to start merging together in 14, 16 & 18u. Heck, lots of tourney, have "HS age" as a division, that is 14-18U teams playing against each other.

huh? Please show me a tournament in Ohio that classifies a competing class as "HS age". Maybe in indoor or fall ball but nothing sanctioned.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
huh? Please show me a tournament in Ohio that classifies a competing class as "HS age". Maybe in indoor or fall ball but nothing sanctioned.

The events that are Open or HS can be held at a sanctioned park for umpires same as league play with these classifications.
The events will not be any type of qualifying event and, the games will not count towards any sanction points or standings.
These type of tournaments are generally t-shirt/trophy events with some being bash for cash, college showcase or fundraising events.

The Keith Carver Memorial in Maysville Ky and Colerain OH ran two divisions of play. One HS Division for teams 14U to 18U.
The other division was OPEN for college/ adult and select A 16/18U teams.

We would average 8/10 teams in each division but one year did get 16 in the HS Division from all over the midwest at the Maysville event.

Since it was a non sanctioned event the umpires were KHSAA and NCAA DIII umpires that donated their time for the memorial scholarship. We required proof of team Insurance for all teams 18U but did not force teams to buy any specific policies like a some sanctioned or non sanctioned tournaments do.

Down south and the more rural areas in the midwest there are a lot of tournaments set up like this.

To answer the OP question on options, Do not worry about it...Talent-Athleticism knows no age..I have seen ladies at 12 compete with 18 year olds and 10 compete with 14 year olds. My daughter was born 12/24 and the birth month never hampered her. Find a team with good coaches and a schedule you can handle and let her just play.

Last edited:

BruisedShins

Reaction score
Wolfpack Best of the Best Showcase this past weekend had 14/16/18 teams together in a single division, though it I believe it was advertised as just 16/18.

wpaguy

Reaction score
So I have a child who misses cutoff by 3 days....What is the best option for her?? Now she HAS to play 14 U with other's having a year+ up on her :( Nearly IMPOSSIBLE finding a YOUNG 06 team....Any suggestions?

My daughter has a late November Birthday, she was always one of the youngest on the team. It was kind of a disadvantage 10u and a little at 12u...But by the time she reached 14u it all worked out. Playing with older girls the last 4 years prepared her for starting as Freshman in HS. It also got her on the radar for some colleges a year early. Even now most of her friends in the class of 2022 play 14u ....she is playing 16u and getting a ton more looks.

Stedman00

Reaction score
has to be a cut off date of some sort and somebody always unhappy. school grade start dates, sports, etc.

melissa400

Reaction score
My daughter has a late November Birthday, she was always one of the youngest on the team. It was kind of a disadvantage 10u and a little at 12u...But by the time she reached 14u it all worked out. Playing with older girls the last 4 years prepared her for starting as Freshman in HS. It also got her on the radar for some colleges a year early. Even now most of her friends in the class of 2022 play 14u ....she is playing 16u and getting a ton more looks.
THANK YOU!!!

melissa400

Reaction score
I will...ty!

melissa400

Reaction score
has to be a cut off date of some sort and somebody always unhappy. school grade start dates, sports, etc.[/QUOTELOL I know...But can't it be Jan 1? From what I read,, hopefully it will be to her advatage. Just making a team may be a little tougher..Praying for a young06.. Thanks!

Skeeter

Reaction score
My DD has a Nov 21st, 01 bday (2020 grad), she usually ends up being the youngest one her first year and then the oldest one her 2nd year. We started her at 8 years old playing on a 1st year 12u travel team and she never had a problem with it even though she was the smallest one it pushed her to be better. When she was a freshman in HS she made varsity as the starting pitcher and was able to play with the seniors she started with on the 12u travel team. It was a great experience for her to start her HS career with the girls she started travel ball with. Enjoy it while you can because it goes by very fast.

Softball_13

Reaction score
I've known a few girls with late year birthday kids, my niece included (Dec 22.). She was the tiny one of the three that I'm thinking of but it was never a "disadvantage", even if someone forgot to tell her she was tiny (5'1" could never get above 100lbs before college weight training but played like she was 6' tall from rec all throughout travel). She didn't ALLOW it to be a "disadvantage" though. She capitalized on her strengths (agility, speed, and toughness). If you allow it to be a disadvantage, it will be. If you show her that YOU think it's a disadvantage, SHE will follow suite. Focus on your daughter's strengths. If she's got speed that she could be a major asset in any outfield. If she's got speed and agility, then middle infield. Not every great player is towering like Jenny Finch - sometimes they're tiny beasts like Amanda Scarborough!

jt7663

Reaction score
Some will say January B-Day too much of an advantage.

Run26

Reaction score

It's nearly the end of July and the tryout posts will be coming in hot & heavy. Just post that you have an 06 birthday and you want her on an 06 specific team. Bump it several times a day and your inbox will be full of opportunities.

That advice will cost you $5.00. Please meet me at the concession stand.

#4mom

Reaction score
We too have a late birthday. I wish August was the cut off for age.

Softball Dad

Reaction score
DD has a very late September DOB and played up multiple times including going 16U instead of second year at 14U. Now she’s going to play college and 23U so it was actually an advantage that she learned to play with the older girls. It pushed her to get better