It must be July in Ohio

PlayTwo

Reaction score
I do miss the tryout section of the old board that was in grid/database form that was sortable/searchable. No way to keep things logical or orderly currently. And, as with many, I wish this forum with do away with 'regional' sub-forums so teams are posting the same tryouts 8 times EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. It really kills the relevance of new content.

Farmdad

Reaction score
I realize you are exaggerating to make a point...but I'm not sure what that point is. This is no longer the "good old days" where no one has a tryout until the top teams return from nationals, or wherever the elite teams go in late July. With so many teams playing travel now, I think the majority of teams see a good amount of turnover and therefore there is a push to post tryout info early. To be fair, I'm not seeing the tryout dates getting earlier (I know there are a few...there's always a few) just the announcements. And in our area, a good number of teams play in fall ball leagues that start in August. That only gives the teams a 2-3 weeks for tryouts and a couple of practices.

I think the talent is getting thin because travel seems to be replacing rec in many communities. I'd like to think that more travel teams means more girls are playing. I'm not sure if that is true, but if so, I'm all for it.

finfan365

Reaction score
I initially liked the regional sub forums. Thought they were a good idea, and In theory, they do make it easier to know where a team is based out of if you are new to travel softball. Unfortunately everyone posts the same tryout info in every region and it just seems to clutter things up.

The old forum grid was nice.