Was going to let it go, but poor sportsmanship this past weekend

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So our USA Patriot WWAST charity team "Lady Warriors" were playing this past weekend in the 18u semi final game and we played a team that were some of the poorest sports I have ever witnessed in 1000+ softball games coached. Started with the coaches, especially a couple parents, and spread to the players. This team was very good and did not need to act like this.

I was personally very disappointed in that team. Especially the players going through the lineup and either slapping/punching my hand or not even touching or looking, very disrespectful to the game. The coaches and parents screaming at the umps, who were there all day and working for charity. Then they gave us grief in ITB for our "last out" placed on 2nd, made us use our last "batted" out, thinking it would help them. Don't get me wrong they were correct on rule, just absolutely ridiculous in how they conveyed it to the umps and to us. Then our last "batted" out goes in(one of the best base runners I have ever coached) and scores the win with a nasty slide/dive around the catcher on a tag play, lol way too funny. Loved winning that one.

Not looking to call the team out by name, just hope parents would not let their players act like this and coaches will realize that it is disrespectful to the game and teaches your players the wrong message. Remember coaches, your team will take on the personality of the coaches.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Just sayin’...

The USA tiebreaker rule is to put the batter scheduled to bat last on second base. For instance, say that the number five batter is scheduled to lead off. You put the number four batter on second base. Whoever made the last out doesn’t have anything to do with it.

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just sayin’...

The USA tiebreaker rule is to put the batter scheduled to bat last on second base. For instance, say that the number five batter is scheduled to lead off. You put the number four batter on second base. Whoever made the last out doesn’t have anything to do with it.
Yea, the umps were supposed to do straight up USA rules, except for 2 extra batters. So, we rolled with what they were doing all weekend. This was one of those cases.

Reaction score
I know that team, especially the pitcher. I am not surprised by your experience, not at all since I know their parents as well. I am really sorry you had to experience this but some kids are raised like they do nothing wrong ever since Daddy was their coach for many years.

jpkeating

Reaction score
I’m surprised someone from the other team hasn’t jumped on here to defend there actions.

First2Third

Reaction score
I know that team, especially the pitcher. I am not surprised by your experience, not at all since I know their parents as well. I am really sorry you had to experience this but some kids are raised like they do nothing wrong ever since Daddy was their coach for many years.

Shots fired!

Cara Stamets

Reaction score
You guys must’ve had a tough weekend sportsmanship wise! I watched one of your Sunday games and the coach afterwards was talking awful the whole time after the game!

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
You guys must’ve had a tough weekend sportsmanship wise! I watched one of your Sunday games and the coach afterwards was talking awful the whole time after the game!
We had a blast actually. They always run a great tournament for a great cause. That game was the only one we really had any issues with, not sure what you saw otherwise, maybe that was the same game? We did win 3 straight games in the final inning by a run, maybe other teams were frustrated?-not sure. I mean you can always complain about umps and such if you want, but we had a great experience overall. Our teams do a pretty great job of ignoring the noise and staying focused.

Last edited: