Fall softball leagues in SW Ohio

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Where are all the fall softball leagues at in SW Ohio?
Hard to believe just under ten years ago teams had 10/12 options to play fall ball around SW ohio/Cincy. Now you struggle to find one...

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are tournaments every weekend during September and October. Can see different competition each week versus playing same 4-5 teams for 6 weekends...

Creek01

Reaction score
I think the real answer is fall leagues were mostly filled by community rec league teams. Good community rec league teams are becoming a thing of the past. Less community based teams and more travel teams have changed the demand from league play to more tourneys and friendlies.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Not talking tournaments they are out there but also a money grab in some cases...

Fast-pitch Softball is "supposed to be watered down" with so, many teams. but over the last ten years fall options here in SW Ohio have went from 10/12 parks to almost non existent . Bring back at least the HS leagues....It will help the parks that seem to not have a lot of activity and community players that are not on any travel teams.

Last edited:

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not talking tournaments they are out there but also a money grab in some cases...

Fast-pitch Softball is "supposed to be watered down" with so, many teams. but over the last ten years fall options here in SW Ohio have went from 10/12 parks to almost non existent . Bring back at least the HS leagues....It will help the parks that seem to not have a lot of activity and community players that are not on any travel teams.
Community High School teams are not allowed in the Fall!
Can not have more than 4 girls from HS team playing on the same team. So def tougher for older girls to play in a community based league.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Who is saying these ladies play for any particular HS team? I am talking teams made up of ladies 14/18U or HS division from around the community. Example: Colerain has City of Cincy, Fairfield, Hamilton, Oak Hills, Northwest, Winton Woods and Mt. Healthy that border and attend church or play in rec leagues in

Regardless, I would bet..It you looked at say, the sweet 16 finalist in all divisions of Ohio softball you would find a significant percentage of ladies playing fall ball. Tournaments leagues etc. with some if not most of their peers.
Thus why the lower income areas cannot compete....but that is another thread.. OHSAA did make some fall ball rule changes regarding baseball and softball. But if you look at the top 10 teams in each region...they still play by their own rules.

https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Softball/FallBall.pdf
Community High School teams are not allowed in the Fall!
Can not have more than 4 girls from HS team playing on the same team. So def tougher for older girls to play in a community based league.

The HS divisions were not really from any particular HS. It was just a designation for players 13 to 18 to play on a team. OHSAA did allow HS coached to start coaching in the fall up to 4 on a team as well. But the lopsided way the sport is handled with OHSAA is why there is such a competitive balance issue.

SMc4SMc

Reaction score
West central and northwest Ohio, I'm seeing more HS athletes that aren't doing fall leagues because of XC, golf, VB, soccer, cheer, or band.

I recall years when flyers were always around for fall leagues but nothing recent.

I guess HS coaches could encourage girls, and distribute info easily electronically, but few schools take that initiative like I've noticed soccer does at almost every school.

*Maybe Georgia has solved it ?

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
6/7 years ago thy were very popular around SW Ohio / NKY and reasonably priced.
I remember when there were 5/6 parks offering Sunday morning double header leagues and others offering weeknights. Now just a handful are even attempting fall tournaments.

thestuff142

Reaction score
I have not dug into it to see if these will be doing it again, but there have been fall leagues at CAP Fields in Lawrenceburg, In, MVP Sports Park in Harrison, & Riverfront East near Coney Island in the past year or so.