talking to coaches ..

OHsoftball

Reaction score
Big weekend coming up for 2021's. My daughter asked what she should say if a coach were to call her? She's a bit shy so I don't wan't her to give the wrong impression... To the ones who have been though this already... what advice do you have for these kids who will be "allowed" to actually have that conversation with coaches now?

Xrayaries

Reaction score
I had my DD print this list. She keeps it in her purse. She has a good relationship with several coaches already and she is able to keep the conversation moving.

• What is the season/off-season practice schedule?
  • What would a typical schedule look like?
  • Is there a separate conditioning schedule?
  • Are there unofficial/captain practices?
  • Do freshman play?
  • What percentage of freshman remain on the team all four years?
  • What is the travel schedule like?
  • Are there separate dorms/dining/work out facilities for the athletes? Are athletes required to use them?
  • What are the strengths and weaknesses of the team?
  • What is the biggest need of the team?
  • What are you looking for in players in general?
  • What position do you see me playing?
  • How many people are you recruiting from my position?
  • Where do you rank me on your list of possible recruits for position _______?
  • How many/types of scholarships are available for my class?
  • Are scholarships for 1 year or 4 years?
  • How are scholarships renewed?
  • What are your redshirt policies? Will scholarship cover a fifth year?
  • Do you have official tryouts for the team?
  • What is your walk-on policy?
  • Can I compete in other sports?
  • Is there a junior varsity team?
  • Are there any summer obligations?
  • What is the coaches recruiting timeline?
  • How would you describe your coaching style?
  • When does the coaches contract end?
  • What kind of players succeed here?
  • How is your coaching different from others in the division?
  • What medical expenses does the college cover?
  • What equipment are players required to provide?
  • What expenses will players have to cover?
  • What is the team GPA?
  • What percentage of players graduate?
  • Are there team/athletic study halls/tutoring?
  • How are conflicts between academics and athletics handled?
  • What is a typical day for an athlete?
  • Will I be able to do study abroad?
  • What are some of the common majors of players?
  • Are any players majoring in ________________
  • Will I be able to major in _______?
  • How accommodating are faculty with players missing practices?
  • Do players attend summer school to reduce the in-season course load?
Good luck. Eliminate questions you don't find necessary for your personal preference. I also ask her to write down the questions and answers as soon as she can do she does not ask the same question twice from the same coach.

Long Baller

Reaction score
I think if your DDs coach/recruiting liaison was doing their job, then you should have a good idea of who may be calling. If she already has a relationship with the coaches from camps, then hopefully she will be at ease and can just "be herself" when the calls come. Also, September 1st is the first day they can contact, which doesn't mean "This is the only day we will contact you if we have interest". So don't freak out if the phone doesn't ring Sunday. Plus, the 1st is a Sunday of a Holiday weekend.....

Good luck to your DD, and all of the other 2021 girls out there!

wannaplaysb

Reaction score
College coaches know how intimidating these calls are (read...your parents have put two hundred pounds of pressure on you and gave you huge lists and you are on speaker phone and they are looking at you and telling you...”crap don’t say that with only lip reading....” so knowing your middle name is hard at the moment) so don’t stress. Be honest, “I’m nervous talking to you” and ask your parents to write down a list of what they say. But really realize, you are the real reason they called. And they picked you so smile. It’s the first chance to realize your dreams!

Last edited:

daboss

Reaction score
I had my DD print this list. She keeps it in her purse. She has a good relationship with several coaches already and she is able to keep the conversation moving.

• What is the season/off-season practice schedule?
  • What would a typical schedule look like?
  • Is there a separate conditioning schedule?
  • Are there unofficial/captain practices?
  • Do freshman play?
  • What percentage of freshman remain on the team all four years?
  • What is the travel schedule like?
  • Are there separate dorms/dining/work out facilities for the athletes? Are athletes required to use them?
  • What are the strengths and weaknesses of the team?
  • What is the biggest need of the team?
  • What are you looking for in players in general?
  • What position do you see me playing?
  • How many people are you recruiting from my position?
  • Where do you rank me on your list of possible recruits for position _______?
  • How many/types of scholarships are available for my class?
  • Are scholarships for 1 year or 4 years?
  • How are scholarships renewed?
  • What are your redshirt policies? Will scholarship cover a fifth year?
  • Do you have official tryouts for the team?
  • What is your walk-on policy?
  • Can I compete in other sports?
  • Is there a junior varsity team?
  • Are there any summer obligations?
  • What is the coaches recruiting timeline?
  • How would you describe your coaching style?
  • When does the coaches contract end?
  • What kind of players succeed here?
  • How is your coaching different from others in the division?
  • What medical expenses does the college cover?
  • What equipment are players required to provide?
  • What expenses will players have to cover?
  • What is the team GPA?
  • What percentage of players graduate?
  • Are there team/athletic study halls/tutoring?
  • How are conflicts between academics and athletics handled?
  • What is a typical day for an athlete?
  • Will I be able to do study abroad?
  • What are some of the common majors of players?
  • Are any players majoring in ________________
  • Will I be able to major in _______?
  • How accommodating are faculty with players missing practices?
  • Do players attend summer school to reduce the in-season course load?
Good luck. Eliminate questions you don't find necessary for your personal preference. I also ask her to write down the questions and answers as soon as she can do she does not ask the same question twice from the same coach.

I can't say enough good things about the above list. I will add one quick point. When coaches call or visits are made, they may answer many of the questions on the list without you needing to ask. Pay attention and be sure to write down or make note so your questions don't become redundant. It can be annoying but it doesn't mean it's a deal breaker. Coaches are human-beings and will understand if you miss a point or two. Be polite, be yourself, be glad you live in a country with so many opportunities.

Good luck!!!

OHsoftball

Reaction score
I think if your DDs coach/recruiting liaison was doing their job, then you should have a good idea of who may be calling. !

You would think this would be true even playing for one of the "best" or "top" organizations. I think some coaches or recruiting coordinators may do a great job advocating for their players but others not so much. I spoke with a coach after my daughters team folded who she considered playing with for the reason that he is very active and knowledgeable and goes above and beyond to help his kids get recruited. She made the decision to play with what she felt would be a more competitive team with kids from her former team. She wants to play at the next level but she's more concerned about winning as a team than worrying about who's watching behind the backstop.... and this where this whole "recruiting" thing makes me scratch my head... College coaches preach "teamwork" and "winning". Their jobs depend on if they win or not.... but it feels like this level of travel ball is every one for themselves, get yourself recruited, showcase wins and losses don't matter... its about me me me.

First2Third

Reaction score
I can't say enough good things about the above list. I will add one quick point. When coaches call or visits are made, they may answer many of the questions on the list without you needing to ask. Pay attention and be sure to write down or make note so your questions don't become redundant. It can be annoying but it doesn't mean it's a deal breaker. Coaches are human-beings and will understand if you miss a point or two. Be polite, be yourself, be glad you live in a country with so many opportunities.

Good luck!!!

I would be careful asking questions of a coach that could easily be answered by looking at the school's or team's site.

coachjwb

Reaction score
OH Softball ... I understand what you're saying ... it seems counter-intuitive and selfish but I don't see it that way. While a coach is certainly looking at an individual's players skills since all of the other girls on the team aren't coming with her, I have heard and believe that these coaches look very closely at the how the player interacts with coaches, teammates and parents ... as well as how hard they actually play in an effort to win. More importantly, the coaches need to see their performance against other top tier talent. If the team the player is on plays and dominates a lower level tournament, chances are no college coaches are going to be there to see that and, even if they were, they would have a hard time evaluating how well the player did given the competition.

brownsfan

Reaction score

Impressive list. Yeah, I removed it so you didn't need to scroll...lol

brownsfan

Reaction score
When my dd was in her recruiting process; she had a relatively small list; none of which really involved softball. It was more for the academic side of the house as she knew she had no control over where she would play. As for that also; don't fall into the trap of going for the coaches and not the school. A friend of mine was recruited to play softball at a certain college. It didn't work out for her from the softball side of the house but still stayed at the school. She choose the school; not the coaches. Remember, coaches and programs can come and go; the school won't.

Xrayaries

Reaction score
I remember the first time my DD talked to a coach. I remember her just mumbling. Uh, uh, uh uh. She uses the list as a guide to help guide a conversation. Once she feels comfortable the conversation becomes more fluid.