Coaching Abuse!!

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
You’re right, it is great conversation. I also agree the truth lies somewhere in the middle. It’s just a messed up time right now, where everyone is punished for hurting peoples feelings. I have no dog in this fight at all, and usually where there’s smoke, there’s fire. But I’m sure there’s a lot from the other side of this story that we are not hearing.

Rutgers is spending 60 thousand dollars to get the other side of the story... retaining Matthew Boxer to conduct what he thinks will be a 4 month investigation..

Looks like concerns were raised all the way back in 2016 with the Husband or assistant coach...He was cleared back then but for it to take 4 months I would bet it will be looked into again.
https://www.wtol.com/article/text/n...ions/512-1feda3cf-c015-456e-aa3c-6166aba1d85e

Run26

Reaction score
Must not be all bad @ Rutgers. The coach just signed 5 for this year's class including 2 from Cali. I assume they can run wind sprints.

Bean2019

Reaction score
An interesting article about the 5 recruit's opinion (all supporting Butler):
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/rut...support-hc-kristen-butler-despite-allegations

. . . also mentions the separation of her husband from the program.

Another interesting article about Maryland and Rutgers in the Big 10 (mainly about football) and the HUGE payday both schools will get in the 2020-2021 season when they will get full shares of conference revenue (based on what the full share payout was for each school in 2018). https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/11/6/18067954/maryland-rutgers-big-ten

Rocket Dad

Reaction score
All recruits are impressed with the coach when they are being recruited. What are the incoming recruits supposed to say. They've already let the other programs that were recruiting them know they are going elsewhere. They really don't have much choice unless they are so good that another coach will make room for them late or if they want to pay their own way. As I state in an earlier post. My daughter played for Coach Butler but was recruited by the previous coach. The previous coach could walk on water in my daughters eyes and in my eyes as well. But after she was fired just before signing day and we started hearing the horror stories about her we knew that she had fooled us badly. Coach Butler made a great first impression on everyone involved with Toledo Softball. Things changed quickly. I would circle back and ask these girls, and all girls for that matter after their freshmen year, how they feel after a season.

FlameThrower

Reaction score
New to posting on this forum but have been a spectator for several years. I wanted to offer the perspective of a parent who's DD is a current freshman player on the team. She was told early on in the recruiting process to be prepared for intense conditioning and weight training and quickly embraced it. She spent the last 2 years going to trainers and working at home in preparation for an opportunity to play high level D1 ball. It was a common occurrence for athletes in her small group sessions to vomit or collapse during or after completing training exercises. Yet those same athletes looked forward to returning week after week pushing themselves to be physically and mentally stronger. We were aware of the controversy with some of the girls at Toledo and were reluctant to send DD to a school 8 hours from our home but we trusted the coaches and DD determined this was the right move for her.

For those who have played with or against DD, you are aware that her strength is not getting around the bases quickly. In fact, she rarely ran bases in HS. Although she was able to complete each of the STACK requirements exceeding the target goals within the first 3 attempts. The STACK requirements were the same for all players on the team and girls that specialize in middle infield and outfield positions were able to hit target goals much more quickly. It is my understanding that the STACK requirements this year were the EXACT same as last years standards.

In regards to the inappropriate things that were allegedly said by either Butler or any other member of the coaching staff, DD has no direct exposure to that behavior and if found to be accurate should not be tolerated. This is a really unfortunate situation that has implications for so many people both directly and indirectly involved.

Last edited:

Bean2019

Reaction score
Totally agree Rocket Dad. I didn't put it in my post but think it will be interesting to see what these same recruits say in a year or two once in the program.

I agree with pushing athletes to reach their potential but when is the line crossed? Are they being encouraged or are they being constantly torn down? What does the program do to support them when they reach limits (both physical and mentally) or worse yet when they are injured? Is the program really supporting them as a person-student-athlete or just as an athlete that will help win games? . . .