Grip strength test

Reaction score
My DD coach did a grip strength test on the team yesterday. What is the purpose of this and what is a good number to score on this?

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I have never seen any age score or average for grip strength.
This is generally a test done by PT for shoulder,elbow, wrist,hand. PTs use this to measure or get a benchmark and recheck after PT to see how much improvement there was.
I would ask the coach what was he wanting the data for ?

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
Grip strength is evaluated to provide insight on upper body strength which directly correlates with how powerful a player can hit and extend through a ball being hit with minimal kickback from the pitch at the time of impact.

daboss

Reaction score
Oh well, I doubt it hurt anyone or anything. It's winter, not like they took valuable summer practice time out of the schedule. Just sit back and let them have their fun.

tjsmize3

Reaction score
My DD coach did a grip strength test on the team yesterday. What is the purpose of this and what is a good number to score on this?
Hi Paul,
I assume your DD did On Deck (ODM) testing?
They list about 73 lbs as the HS average and 80 lbs as the college average.
If you go to the link below it will get you to some more detailed information about the tests and results
https://ondecksoftball.net/odm-testing

If the coach just did his on his own, then I would assume HE would know what is good or not before doing the testing.

Reaction score
Hi Paul,
I assume your DD did On Deck (ODM) testing?
They list about 73 lbs as the HS average and 80 lbs as the college average.
If you go to the link below it will get you to some more detailed information about the tests and results
https://ondecksoftball.net/odm-testing

If the coach just did his on his own, then I would assume HE would know what is good or not before doing the testing.
Thanks for the response. It was something new to us so wasn’t sure exactly what the purpose was, I haven’t had the opportunity to talk with him about it. She said her numbers and they sounded a lot higher than most so wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or bad thing. Guess it’s good ‍♂️