what if

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
just for discussion purposes...

What if HS ball extends their season until 2nd week of July... how will this effect travelball tournaments, OHSAA rules for HSball vs. travel ball and if you had to choose.... are you finishing HSball or just going straight into travelball when our beautiful country opens back up.

Be safe - wear a mask if your in public please. respect your peers. jmho

jayflyer98

Reaction score
I think it would be it would certainly effect 16U/18U a bit. Everything would have to move back in my opinion. Would see a lot more 1 and 2 day events extending into Aug and the fall. I would like to see season extended until Dec 31st. So if you if you are an 03, 05, 07, 09 you can play 10/12/14/16U through the entire fall instead of having to make the jump up.
And no tryouts this summer... Wouldn't that be nice! #staywithyourteam

Cat-Man

Reaction score
IMO, they shouldn't make you CHOOSE between the two. I know OHSAA likes to flex their muscle, but I believe HS will most likely lose that battle. When I say that, I don't think travel ball is the end all be all. Plenty of good players play HS ball only. But if girls had to chose between the two, IMO most would choose travel ball. The rec / non-travel girls will pick HS, and you will probably get a few travel ball SENIOR girls who would like to play their senior seasons. But even if it isn't a majority, what if it's split down the middle? So then what happens? What if a HS has only 4 or 5 girls that choose HS ball, but have 5-6 girls pick travel? Does that mean the HS has to tell the OHSAA they bow out because they don't have enough to field a team? Then they have to figure out scheduling based on who has enough players and who doesn't. I am talking strictly Varsity here. They could maybe pull enough girls from freshman and JV teams to fill an entire Varsity roster, but then where does that leave the JV teams? And if existing seniors feel like they won't be fielding competitive teams, that might push them to pick travel. I'm not advocating or saying one is better or the other. My point is it would just be a big mess! They need to find a way to allow both to run concurrently. (HS during the week, travel on the weekends?)

And before anyone jumps in and and says "We won't be playing anyway", don't bother being a Debbie Downer. This is just for discussion purposes until something FACTUAL happens.

SoftballBomb

Reaction score
I’m not sure what type of crazy rules you have in Ohio the only rule I’m aware of is something about no more then four player from the same high school playing on the same team after August or something like that. It definitely would change the summer Travel Ball season especially for anyone hosting showcase tournaments before HS ball is completed.
But I think showcase tournaments are a joke and nothing but a big money grab. I may even start a new post on that myself. You would have to believe the smart move would be for high schools to work on a solution that’s beneficial to all and the sanctioning bodies would have to do the same.

1.) No weekend games
2.) Reduce the season in half
3.) Remove rules that penalize the players for playing TB during HS season for 2020.
4.) Sanctioning bodies adjust rules for 2020 on team rosters with lots of flexibility on added an removing players on rosters.
5.) Sanctioning bodies to be creative, coming up with solutions for teams to play short handed.

Stedman00

Reaction score
considering MI, PA and NY have all canceled spring semester of school and therefore all spring sports, I cannot see OH being far behind. Sure they have a published plan in place, but it's a pipe dream at best to start back 1 May.

My thought is that most seniors would not chose a partial season in summer over their travel teams. 18u travel seasons are normally set to start on 1 June to allow school ball to have their time. Come 1 June, sorry school season, you are done for 2020. This is really for all 7,8 and HS teams versus travel teams. School season over by 1 June, therefore the players have committed after this date to their travel teams. There really is no choosing. Choice is already decided.

And just for the argument, what happens when the college committed senior has a camp, run by their new college team mid- June??? Of course they are going, sorry about your luck HS team.

Last edited:

jt7663

Reaction score
For Giggles ............. Let's say OH does have a HS Season in July or this summer & with PA High School season cancelled that allows us to pursue the closest available school to play. It would be the same as other sports our school does not offer we are permitted to Travel to a school that offers the sport. i.e. Our school does not have a Hockey program allowed to travel to another school that does offer Hockey. (Not aware of ever needing to Travel out of state but with current conditions who knows)

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
If Ohio schools are not back in session May 1st the OHSAA established timeline goes out the window with games starting up May 9th. Basically spring sports will be done for 2020.

Long Baller

Reaction score
I thought if your HS team is still "alive" in the state tourney, then you cannot play travel, period? So there would be no deciding on your own. However, in this fictional scenario, I know my DD would choose HS ball. She is really upset about not getting that last season to play with her Senior friends. I know I would prefer HS ball. It's a heck of a lot easier on my wallet. Unfortunately though, I think the HS season is done.

SonicMojo

Reaction score
My kids would definitely play school ball over travel ball. Not even a close call.

Tallmadge Force Gold

Reaction score
I think most kids would choose HS softball over travel ball. The exceptions might be the very talented players on the very weak HS teams. There is always another travel ball tournament. HS softball has just one chance every year.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, they shouldn't make you CHOOSE between the two. I know OHSAA likes to flex their muscle, but I believe HS will most likely lose that battle. When I say that, I don't think travel ball is the end all be all. Plenty of good players play HS ball only. But if girls had to chose between the two, IMO most would choose travel ball. The rec / non-travel girls will pick HS, and you will probably get a few travel ball SENIOR girls who would like to play their senior seasons. But even if it isn't a majority, what if it's split down the middle? So then what happens? What if a HS has only 4 or 5 girls that choose HS ball, but have 5-6 girls pick travel? Does that mean the HS has to tell the OHSAA they bow out because they don't have enough to field a team? Then they have to figure out scheduling based on who has enough players and who doesn't. I am talking strictly Varsity here. They could maybe pull enough girls from freshman and JV teams to fill an entire Varsity roster, but then where does that leave the JV teams? And if existing seniors feel like they won't be fielding competitive teams, that might push them to pick travel. I'm not advocating or saying one is better or the other. My point is it would just be a big mess! They need to find a way to allow both to run concurrently. (HS during the week, travel on the weekends?)

And before anyone jumps in and and says "We won't be playing anyway", don't bother being a Debbie Downer. This is just for discussion purposes until something FACTUAL happens.
i did see jerry snodgrass had a similar concern.... losing half the team to summer ball would not make HS ball competitive and it was something he said might not work for that reason. some schools would not be able to put a full team out there let alone a competitive one and the state tournament would be in jeopardy

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought if your HS team is still "alive" in the state tourney, then you cannot play travel, period? So there would be no deciding on your own. However, in this fictional scenario, I know my DD would choose HS ball. She is really upset about not getting that last season to play with her Senior friends. I know I would prefer HS ball. It's a heck of a lot easier on my wallet. Unfortunately though, I think the HS season is done.
i guess the season has actually started with a few practices before this all went down, those girls (unless they quit) would fall under HS rules... but if you didn't go out for the team at the beginning of the season you can play travel with no consequences.
its not my choice but if it was, I would take 1 more travel ball season over HSball. Not even close.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i guess the season has actually started with a few practices before this all went down, those girls (unless they quit) would fall under HS rules... but if you didn't go out for the team at the beginning of the season you can play travel with no consequences.
its not my choice but if it was, I would take 1 more travel ball season over HSball. Not even close.
I don't believe any high school team in Ohio played a game or a scrimmage. Under OHSAA rules, they are not part of the team until thur have played in a game or scrimmage. So no, those who were practicing do not fall under those rules yet.
Another Example - the drama club was practicing for a play to be held near end of school year. Now it is announced that they will start back practicing for the play to be held in August. You can not blame any kid who doesn't want to now spend their Summer practicing for that play. Or would rather be in the community theatre group putting on a play now at the same time.
2 different situations, but both similar to what these kids are going through.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe any high school team in Ohio played a game or a scrimmage. Under OHSAA rules, they are not part of the team until thur have played in a game or scrimmage. So no, those who were practicing do not fall under those rules yet.
Another Example - the drama club was practicing for a play to be held near end of school year. Now it is announced that they will start back practicing for the play to be held in August. You can not blame any kid who doesn't want to now spend their Summer practicing for that play. Or would rather be in the community theatre group putting on a play now at the same time.
2 different situations, but both similar to what these kids are going through.
our HS had a scrimmage..... so really this clouds things up a bit more.

Stedman00

Reaction score
actually, it only cloudy if the player tries to play with travel team after being on HS team , AND then trying to return to school team in same season. it's pretty clear, IMO. They walk away from school season because time frame is now a conflict, and cannot go back to school team until next year.

Reaction score
Let's say school and HS softball season does begin in May....fingers crossed. One would think Snodgrass and OHSAA would make a decision to allow the girls to play HS ball and Travel at the same time. It only makes sense. They would not want the girls to have to make a decision between the 2. That just wouldn't be good for anyone. Hopefully, they can mirror it like PA does it or something similar. It's early enough into the scheduling to avoid weekend HS tournament games so there wouldn't be conflicts. Doing it this way would also not force the summer tournaments (primarily showcase events) to reschedule.

City Slicker

Reaction score
Taking the parents & travel coaches out of the decision making - and not planting any seeds in the kids' heads - I'd guess that 99% of the kids would pick HS ball to play for their school and with their friends.

jt7663

Reaction score
The HS experience is different for the Travel Girls. In our case doesn't play Softball too often locally so hasn't been able to enjoy playing with Friends from school. One of the reasons so disapointed our HS season (in PA) was cancelled.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's say school and HS softball season does begin in May....fingers crossed. One would think Snodgrass and OHSAA would make a decision to allow the girls to play HS ball and Travel at the same time. It only makes sense. They would not want the girls to have to make a decision between the 2. That just wouldn't be good for anyone. Hopefully, they can mirror it like PA does it or something similar. It's early enough into the scheduling to avoid weekend HS tournament games so there wouldn't be conflicts. Doing it this way would also not force the summer tournaments (primarily showcase events) to reschedule.
YIKES! the fight between HS and travel coaches for practices would be crazy lol! and I can see burnout and over use injuries... play or practice everyday at HS and then go play 7 or 8 games every weekend in a very shortened schedule ... not to mention seniors will be going off to college in August and HS will be starting soon after.

Reactions: JMT