Do you think Summer Season will be cancelled ?

M & R Davis

Reaction score
Hell they are now saying we can’t be on boats!!! What???! Really?! Horse Shit!

someone wake me when this is all over.

Is the boat thing from OH?? I’ve not seen that. Michigan did that last Friday evening but hadn’t heard Here and hope I don’t.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fire In The Sky cancelled because the tournament is just a part of the town festival. If OSU has their campus closed until 7/13, and Stingrays has to cancel because of that. Both of those closings are due to other things. I don't think people need to panic or get upset either way for right now, as majority of other events are either in privately owned parks or public parks.
Sad part is every time you hear something to give you hope this situation is ending - Something else is heard to make you think it is going to be longer...……...

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fire In The Sky cancelled because the tournament is just a part of the town festival. If OSU has their campus closed until 7/13, and Stingrays has to cancel because of that. Both of those closings are due to other things. I don't think people need to panic or get upset either way for right now, as majority of other events are either in privately owned parks or public parks.
Sad part is every time you hear something to give you hope this situation is ending - Something else is heard to make you think it is going to be longer...……...
no disrespect Thunder but lets be honest... you can spin it any way you want but ultimately why did OSU cancel? virus. Why did fire in the sky cancel? virus. it's just part of a town festival that probably grossed them a HUGE amount of money so its not like - "Hey guys, lets just cancel it... its no big deal"... its bigger than what your saying. it is what it is and i think more cancellations are around the corner. not trying to be debbie downer... just being realistic. again friends its JMHO -

City Slicker

Reaction score
no disrespect Thunder but lets be honest... you can spin it any way you want but ultimately why did OSU cancel? virus. Why did fire in the sky cancel? virus. it's just part of a town festival that probably grossed them a HUGE amount of money so its not like - "Hey guys, lets just cancel it... its no big deal"... its bigger than what your saying. it is what it is and i think more cancellations are around the corner. not trying to be debbie downer... just being realistic. again friends its JMHO -

"If you start looking at what you are going to do sequentially, probably the last thing you would open back up, is a big event where you've got a lot of people together, whether it's a concert, or a football game or a baseball game. Those are all near and dear to my heart, and I know as well for many Ohians and Americans. I just think those are the last things that will be opened up...any big gathering is something that is going to be the last thing. You're going to start to try and get the businesses back that can practice the distancing and do those things before you're able to open up to the big concerts. One of the things I talked to today to the people of Ohio is that until we get a vaccine, things are not going to be normal."

Unfortunately, spring, summer & fall sports are in jeopardy.

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/forecast-model/

Remember this model? 62,000 cases unmitigated. Mitigated we should be seeing 2,000 new cases a day RIGHT NOW. We are nowhere near this. And it's not the only model that was way wrong that was used to put everyone out of business and force us into dependency on the government while trampling our constitutional rights. Time to end the scam.

When all this started it was "we just have to do this for 15 days". Then it turned into 40-45 days. We are blowing this model away there is no excuse for our Governor to NOT reopen Ohio. Yes Coronavirus sucks but as pandemics go, it hasn't been all that it was cracked up to be. Frankly I think a bunch of us, myself included had it back in January. My daughter was tested for the flu at the time and came back negative for the flu, so was told it was some other virus. I am dumbfounded by the Orrville decision.

I read a lot of your posts and many of you think I speak blasphemy. So be it. I talk to a lot of people and there are a LOT of people who agree with what I'm saying but wont put it out there in writing. So be that too.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

None Taken...
My point is the fact that those groups made decisions because of it being a town event, or the fact that Football (the big money maker) can wait until after the 12th to start up.
If we want to be very realistic about this by using major events - July events - Wimbledon and the British Open have both cancelled!
MLB not starting before Independence Day. Many concerts are cancelled for the Summer. Seems like we have several in these threads that are taking both sides of the debate.
As I stated before, we all stay hopeful, but for every positive thing we hear - a negative is right there to shoot it down...
I def don't think temperatures will have any effect on this virus either, I think I have already experienced more 90 degree days in 2020, then I will experience in Ohio this Summer!

OHsoftball

Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite at this one...How is cancelling tournaments "hurting the kids more than keeping them safe"?

Also, I disagree with the statement that "Kids are at a low risk for being affected by covid 19..." Kids are getting sick. They are just at a lower risk of being hospitalized from it. What are these "...high risk for mental effects."? Being upset from not playing? Stressed about mom/dad losing their jobs during all of this? Worried about that college coach not seeing them play and giving them a scholarship (which I am hearing a lot of fearful stories about how this will impact college sports going forward, but that is another topic)?

Not trying to bust your chops, just wondering what you mean by your comments.

Well first, children between the ages of 10-19 account for .002% of all covid19 cases. So yes, I would consider that very low risk. Yes, they can carry it, but high risk adults should know what extra precautions to take. It’s called self responsibility.

And I believe this has a significant mental effect on some children. What about that athlete that has worked her butt off for years to have her last season taken away? And now we’re talking about no summer ball? ...along with not seeing her friends for the remainder of the school year, no prom, no graduation? I can see depression setting in on a lot of kids. What about the 50% drop in child abuse cases last month?? Not because children stopped being abused but because they are stuck in those homes with no one to report the abuse... I could go on but I think you get my point..

so what i was saying is, if it’s possible... let’s the kids play!

Last edited:

City Slicker

Reaction score

Remember this model? 62,000 cases unmitigated. Mitigated we should be seeing 2,000 new cases a day RIGHT NOW. We are nowhere near this. And it's not the only model that was way wrong that was used to put everyone out of business and force us into dependency on the government while trampling our constitutional rights. Time to end the scam.

When all this started it was "we just have to do this for 15 days". Then it turned into 40-45 days. We are blowing this model away there is no excuse for our Governor to NOT reopen Ohio. Yes Coronavirus sucks but as pandemics go, it hasn't been all that it was cracked up to be. Frankly I think a bunch of us, myself included had it back in January. My daughter was tested for the flu at the time and came back negative for the flu, so was told it was some other virus. I am dumbfounded by the Orrville decision.

I read a lot of your posts and many of you think I speak blasphemy. So be it. I talk to a lot of people and there are a LOT of people who agree with what I'm saying but wont put it out there in writing. So be that too.

Literally the entire reason the "scam" isn't "as cracked up to be" is because of what WE ALL have done to prevent the spread of this virus.... A GLOBAL PANDEMIC!

And for the record, nothing has proven that the stuff that was going around in Nov-Jan was Coronavirus.

As much as it sucks, I am willing to set softball aside to do my part to save my parents (who would be at my kids' games), your parents (who would be at your kids' games) and everyone else's parents & grandparents that would be at the games and potentially get this virus.

Last edited:

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
Literally the entire reason the "scam" isn't "as cracked up to be" is because of what WE ALL have done to prevent the spread of this virus.... A GLOBAL PANDEMIC!

And for the record, nothing has proven that the stuff that was going around in Nov-Jan was Coronavirus.

As much as it sucks, I am willing to set softball aside to do save my parents (who would be at my kids' games), your parents (who would be at your kids' games) and everyone else who might get this virus.

As much as it sucks, I am willing to set softball aside to do save my parents (who would be at my kids' games), your parents (who would be at your kids' games) and everyone else who might get this virus.

I've heard all that said, don't necessarily buy it but neither here nor there. Our governor was willing to shut us down for this "short period of time" with the expectation that if we flatten the curve we will only have 2,000 new cases a day here in mid April. That was supposed to be an acceptable number to get us on the path to reopening. Today we had one tenth that number. One tenth. And there's a lot of other misconceptions about the death stats and number of cases I won't even get into.

I also get how there are more important things in life than softball. Totally. But the team I coach, mostly seniors all serious players who are going on to play college ball. This has literally been their life's work and there getting screwed on the basis of a LOT of falsehoods.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
as far as softball goes.. Stingrays and Fire in the sky are major size Ohio softball events. so the hope is.. smaller tourneys hopefully get a chance to play.
I also get how there are more important things in life than softball. Totally. But the team I coach, mostly seniors all serious players who are going on to play college ball. This has literally been their life's work and there getting screwed on the basis of a LOT of falsehoods.

so if you coach seniors its ok to play ball because their seniors and serious players going to play college ball... uhm.. what the h*ll does that have to do with anything?

i mean sorry hornet but i cant imagine you truly believe that. I feel your frustration brother. my DD is a senior too and going off to play college ball in August. missing HS and her last summer ball .... hate it. but what can you do?

Last edited:

Long Baller

Reaction score
Well first, children between the ages of 10-19 account for .002% of all covid19 cases. So yes, I would consider that very low risk. Yes, they can carry it, but high risk adults should know what extra precautions to take. It’s called self responsibility.

And I believe this has a significant mental effect on some children. What about that athlete that has worked her butt off for years to have her last season taken away? And now we’re talking about no summer ball? ...along with not seeing her friends for the remainder of the school year, no prom, no graduation? I can see depression setting in on a lot of kids. What about the 50% drop in child abuse cases last month?? Not because children stopped being abused but because they are stuck in those homes with no one to report the abuse... I could go on but I think you get my point..

so what i was saying is, if it’s possible... let’s the kids play!
Thanks for sharing your insight. I agree that I really want to get some sort of HS season in for my DD's sake; She is really upset that she may not get to play that Senior year season with her friends. However, I think we need to error on the side of caution, or the gains from social distancing go right out the window. Adults can have all of the self responsibility in the world, but if their kid brings the virus home, then the entire household is catching it.

I think HS is done, Summer ball is looking to be in jeopardy, and there is even talk about fall college sports being impacted.

Cat-Man

Reaction score
I think we are going to know which way we are headed Thursday afternoon as Trump is expected to announce the Fed's recommended guidelines to the States for re-opening. There is no reason to speculate any further until we hear what the guidelines to re-opening the Country (or State) are going to be.

PLUS, keep in mind today is April 15. Think about how much things have changed since April 1st (predictions vs actual). We supposedly have passed the peak over the past few days. No one really knows how much can change between now and May 1st, or how much can change between now and and a month and a half from now. What the guidelines are tomorrow may be completely different by June 1st (good or bad). I know things look bleak for school ball, but there is a slightly larger glimmer of hope for summer ball.

Long Baller

Reaction score

At least you stopped short of saying "This is just the flu!":confused:o_O

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
as far as softball goes.. Stingrays and Fire in the sky are major size Ohio softball events. so the hope is.. smaller tourneys hopefully get a chance to play.

so if you coach seniors its ok to play ball because their seniors and serious players going to play college ball... uhm.. what the h*ll does that have to do with anything?

i mean sorry hornet but i cant imagine you truly believe that. I feel your frustration brother. my DD is a senior too and going off to play college ball in August. missing HS and her last summer ball .... hate it. but what can you do?

Well I totally believe we've been lied to. A LOT. But hey if it saves one life it's worth it right?

Dwheeler83

Reaction score
Everyday when governor Dewine has a press conference there are protesters outside the state building raising heck. If you think for one minute people won’t go completely crazy try to lock them down with warm weather and false allegations. You will see softball played this summer at some point it may not be at the level we saw last year or the years before that but we will play ball!

OHsoftball

Reaction score
I totally understand the severity of this virus and it sucks! But... in my opinion, there are just some things that happen that can't be controlled. I've said before, high risk people need to be extra careful, but the majority need to get back to work and school. Even healthy people will need to take extra precautions.. but we can't hide forever. Aren't we just delaying the inevitable? We were told over a month ago that the virus wasn't going away but we had to stay in our homes to prevent hospitals from being overflowed and give them time to prepare. One local hospital where I live just laid off 500 employees, another laid off 600!! Predictions were wayyy off... thankfully. Most hospitals are empty and people are losing their jobs... So why are we even discussing the idea of a longer shut down?

daboss

Reaction score
WOW!!! Calm down people. Everyday that goes by seems to have you coming unglued. We have others calling the shots right now and I'm sure there is a long list of priorities being addressed. I doubt fastpitch softball is at the top of that list right now. Let's deal with the global economy and how to get back up and running while knowing we still do not have a cure or inoculation for the virus. You want things to be like they were? You're going to have to wait till this happens.

Quit worrying about showcases and players being seen by college staff members. They're not coming out to look anyway. They're being instructed to shelve things till this gets better. College AD"s are going to instruct their sports programs to stand down till things get better. They are not going to risk subjecting their staff and be held accountable. Until you hear about college football and basketball programs going back to work with some normalcy, you will not have softball programs doing anything.

Festivals, showcase tournaments, all functions of summer travel ball is about the money people. They cannot host tournaments and risk any liability right now. I'm curious to know if the grown-ups of softball would still have any interest in playing if you were told players and 1 head coach only allowed to attend. You would have to drop your child off in the parking lot and be given a time slot when she might be finished to come back and pick her up. No sitting in your car in the parking lot because everyone would be fighting over the spots that could view the ball fields.

If you're okay with it, get ready because it may be the first stage of ever getting back to playing again. If this is unacceptable, perhaps you need to ask yourself why you're doing it at all..................