Do you think Summer Season will be cancelled ?

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think if tournaments start cancelling already, we are hurting the kids more than we think we are keeping them safe. This comes down to the TDs just thinking of themselves and covering their behinds! Kids are low risk for being affected by covid19 but high risk for the mental effects.. very sad.

Seriously???

Rolling-my-eyes-gif1.gif

IRdad09

Reaction score
If I could like this post 1K times I would.

I would like to clarify my like on this post. It is way to early to be cancelling anything in my opinion. There is plenty of time to wait and see is how i'm taking it and the TD's just need to be patient. I am not so sure about the "mental effects" part.

Last edited:

OHsoftball

Reaction score
If you don't think this shut down isn't having any mental effects on teens, especially seniors then you obviously don't have one in your home.. smh..

IRdad09

Reaction score
If you don't think this shut down isn't having any mental effects on teens, especially seniors then you obviously don't have one in your home.. smh..

I do not. I have stated before in a few of my posts so I cannot speak to that part. Mine are younger.

SoftballBomb

Reaction score
Did you listen to ohio coronavirus update today?
Sporting events, Concerts and fairs are going to be problematic. Not sounding good! I’m not trying to be negative Nancy but the more I listen to Dewine the more it seems like Summer ball is not going to happen. If Ohio is playing in August you will be very lucky. Ye I just had to say it.

IRdad09

Reaction score
Did you listen to ohio coronavirus update today?
Sporting events, Concerts and fairs are going to be problematic. Not sounding good! I’m not trying to be negative Nancy but the more I listen to Dewine the more it seems like Summer ball is not going to happen. If Ohio is playing in August you will be very lucky. Ye I just had to say it.

I did. However, he also said when saying he will begin to reopen Ohio on May 1st it is clearly mentioned that Ohioans will have to live with the threat of the virus until a vaccine is made. Keep in mind we are not talking about going to events with 20k plus people here. Maybe some of the largest tournaments have a few thousand tops.

Cat-Man

Reaction score
He also said things will constantly change based on the data. As I stated before, what is implemented today may not be the same as what is implemented a month from now.

IRdad09

Reaction score
He also said things will constantly change based on the data. As I stated before, what is implemented today may not be the same as what is implemented a month from now.

Yes, we all know as soon as stay at home is lifted OR when he decides to reopen restaurants and bars everyone will flood out to them. There will be a spike that follows and he will just as quickly shut everything down again. We ALL just need to be smart.

jayflyer98

Reaction score
The good news is it is only April 16th and DeWine was talking about opening things up May 1st.... A lot can happen from now until the end of May/Early June. For the record, I think we will be playing this summer. But likely will be local and smaller tournaments for most.

sftball follower

Reaction score
IMO it's pretty simple. Until Ohio starts testing tens of thousands people per day to see exactly how many people have the virus (or don't) there won't be much happening. DeWine said Monday we had flattened out, but the last two days have been the two highest days of confirmed cases to date.....Why.....more people were tested (or at least ) reported per day approximately 3500 per day. Remember also the lovely Dr. said it's a 2-3 week process in the decision making process in order to collect data/analyze/blablabla....the longer they go WITHOUT testing the quicker summer season goes bye bye. And they don't seem too concerned again IMO to get to the necessary levels of tens of thousands test per day.

Cat-Man

Reaction score
Considering Ohio is most likely at least 28 days before entering into Phase II of Trump's plan (schools can re-open in Phase II), I'd say school ball is done. I suspect Dewine will make it official in the next 24 hours.

DLamb

Reaction score
https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/forecast-model/

Remember this model? 62,000 cases unmitigated. Mitigated we should be seeing 2,000 new cases a day RIGHT NOW. We are nowhere near this. And it's not the only model that was way wrong that was used to put everyone out of business and force us into dependency on the government while trampling our constitutional rights. Time to end the scam.

When all this started it was "we just have to do this for 15 days". Then it turned into 40-45 days. We are blowing this model away there is no excuse for our Governor to NOT reopen Ohio. Yes Coronavirus sucks but as pandemics go, it hasn't been all that it was cracked up to be. Frankly I think a bunch of us, myself included had it back in January. My daughter was tested for the flu at the time and came back negative for the flu, so was told it was some other virus. I am dumbfounded by the Orrville decision.

I read a lot of your posts and many of you think I speak blasphemy. So be it. I talk to a lot of people and there are a LOT of people who agree with what I'm saying but wont put it out there in writing. So be that too.

Something ran in my house late December and in to January. All were tested and negative for flu...told to hydrate and let it run its course. I’d would be nice if they could go back and test previous samples for COVID, or get in the ball with testing for antibodies. Get the plasma out there for those that need it and get the “Herd” moving.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something ran in my house late December and in to January. All were tested and negative for flu...told to hydrate and let it run its course. I’d would be nice if they could go back and test previous samples for COVID, or get in the ball with testing for antibodies. Get the plasma out there for those that need it and get the “Herd” moving.
i honestly think my family including myself had it too earlier this year. I would bet $$$ on it. so many people get it and dont know and have very little symptoms. this is why wearing a mask (dont hate me for saying this) out in public until a vaccine or until it somehow goes away is VIP. i know they are still working on the anti bodies.... but everything they are working on, testing, etc..... is a process. It seems like everyone thinks all this can be done in a day.... it takes time so please be patient people. And if your getting mad or upset about the situation... STOP WATCHING CNN OR MSNBC!!!!! HATERS ---------------------

Long Baller

Reaction score
i honestly think my family including myself had it too earlier this year. I would bet $$$ on it. so many people get it and dont know and have very little symptoms. this is why wearing a mask (dont hate me for saying this) out in public until a vaccine or until it somehow goes away is VIP. i know they are still working on the anti bodies.... but everything they are working on, testing, etc..... is a process. It seems like everyone thinks all this can be done in a day.... it takes time so please be patient people. And if your getting mad or upset about the situation... STOP WATCHING CNN OR MSNBC!!!!! HATERS ---------------------
This is an interesting point. There were soooo many people that the same symptoms last fall...something was definitely going around. My whole house had dry cough/fever to varying degrees for well over a month. It just lingered and would not go away. My symptoms weren't terribly bad. I felt run down but not totally awful. It was bad enough that I didn't exercise for over a month though. Interestingly, my grade school aged kids had it the worst. Both had dry cough, fever, aches, etc...Dr said one was the flu, and the other was pneumonia, but I don't think that he really knew what it was. It started in my house around Halloween and didn't go away until early December.

wpaguy

Reaction score
This is an interesting point. There were soooo many people that the same symptoms last fall...something was definitely going around. My whole house had dry cough/fever to varying degrees for well over a month. It just lingered and would not go away. My symptoms weren't terribly bad. I felt run down but not totally awful. It was bad enough that I didn't exercise for over a month though. Interestingly, my grade school aged kids had it the worst. Both had dry cough, fever, aches, etc...Dr said one was the flu, and the other was pneumonia, but I don't think that he really knew what it was. It started in my house around Halloween and didn't go away until early December.

Same thing happened to my family and all of my sons friends in February. My son had a dry cough for over 3 weeks. Temps in the 103 range for 3-5 days. He missed 4 days of school. He actually was seen twice in 7 days by his pediatrician. The said it was going around and would pass. Was given nothing. As he got better I felt like shit for about a week, no cough, bud had temps, headaches, chills etc. Then my wife got it same as me. I believe this was here in January.

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
I get everyone's possible illness from some point last winter, let's stay on point about the possibility of or not of having a season

Robert Reiter

Reaction score
It's (tournaments) probably centered on liability. All of these teams and tournaments have insurance carriers. I would imagine that if your insurance carrier gives you the OK then you can proceed under crowd or mass-gathering guidelines. My daughter turns 13 in July and wants to play as much as anyone. She works out every day with resistance trailing, hitting into a net, and pitching buckets of balls into a net but its past the point of boring as Hell for her. There's nothing like practicing and playing with the team. It's tough to stay motivated!

Cat-Man

Reaction score
Those of you who follow the SIFG Facebook page may have seen this already, but a group of lawmakers and business leaders in ALABAMA are recommending to their Governor to resume youth sports on May 11. What is to be noted though is that Alabama has only around 4500 cases of Covid-19.

Here is a list of recommended guidelines they have laid out to ensure safety:

-- Ensure that all player equipment is properly spaced to limit interaction

-- Coaches, players, parents, and attendees are required to practice responsible social distancing when and where possible, especially in common areas (i.e. dugouts)

-- Limit the use of team-shared equipment and encourage the cleaning and sanitizing of this equipment after each use

-- Strictly monitor the health of each employee, coach, and player and require any individual with a fever or other symptoms of COVID-19 to not participate in team activities

-- Require all employees, officials, and coaches to wear PPE, especially face masks where applicable

-- Encourage use of face masks by players and in close contact areas and situations where applicable

-- Facilities should increase frequency of cleaning and sanitizing measures especially in areas of high traffic, such as restrooms

-- No food or concession sales will be allowed at facilities

-- Public restrooms should be limited to a ͞one-in-one-out͟ policy

-- Practices and games should be scheduled to allow for additional time for teams and attendees to exit the premises before other teams and attendees enter

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/04/could-youth-sports-really-resume-in-alabama-on-may-11.html

Last edited:

Dale Brigger

Reaction score
Those of you who follow the SIFG Facebook page may have seen this already, but a group of lawmakers and business leaders in ALABAMA are recommending to their Governor to resume youth sports on May 11. What is to be noted though is that Alabama has only around 4500 cases of Covid-19.

Here is a list of recommended guidelines they have laid out to ensure safety:

-- Ensure that all player equipment is properly spaced to limit interaction

-- Coaches, players, parents, and attendees are required to practice responsible social distancing when and where possible, especially in common areas (i.e. dugouts)

-- Limit the use of team-shared equipment and encourage the cleaning and sanitizing of this equipment after each use

-- Strictly monitor the health of each employee, coach, and player and require any individual with a fever or other symptoms of COVID-19 to not participate in team activities

-- Require all employees, officials, and coaches to wear PPE, especially face masks where applicable

-- Encourage use of face masks by players and in close contact areas and situations where applicable

-- Facilities should increase frequency of cleaning and sanitizing measures especially in areas of high traffic, such as restrooms

-- No food or concession sales will be allowed at facilities

-- Public restrooms should be limited to a ͞one-in-one-out͟ policy

-- Practices and games should be scheduled to allow for additional time for teams and attendees to exit the premises before other teams and attendees enter

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/04/could-youth-sports-really-resume-in-alabama-on-may-11.html

I read that as well and also saw a story from Yahoo (of all sites) that there are reports that heat and humidity kill this thing off pretty quickly which would explain that lower numbers in the southern states. I am just hoping summer comes roaring in with lots of heat and humidity and we see these numbers fall quickly and get things opened back up!

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read that as well and also saw a story from Yahoo (of all sites) that there are reports that heat and humidity kill this thing off pretty quickly which would explain that lower numbers in the southern states. I am just hoping summer comes roaring in with lots of heat and humidity and we see these numbers fall quickly and get things opened back up!

I have spent the last month with an average high temperature above 87. It's 92 right now here in Florida. It seems to be the same here as everywhere else. Don't see heat having anything to do with this virus...