what if

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
actually, it only cloudy if the player tries to play with travel team after being on HS team , AND then trying to return to school team in same season. it's pretty clear, IMO. They walk away from school season because time frame is now a conflict, and cannot go back to school team until next year.
it will stay cloudy until Dewine and OHSAA make final decisions. now we cant see the sun.... everyone is making their best guess as to what will happen. yesterday i heard Dewine say once we get back "opened" it will not be the same. He will still recommend wearing masks in public and keep some type of social distancing... i believe school will be canceled next; there goes HS ball.... so maybe... just maybe by June- we MIGHT be back on the field. let's hope but lets put health first b4 softball. yeah it sux... but it the best thing to do.

SoftballBomb

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing holding us back from getting on the diamonds will be social distancing and mass gatherings. I really don’t see large gatherings happening until they have mass testing in place or a better treatment. Now China reporting a second surge of the coronavirus and locking down again in some province.

City Slicker

Reaction score
If/when schools are closed and the HS season is cancelled, the next issue to worry about will be, parks being open and field permits being issued. In the league that I am involved with, we've been told that no field permits will be issued until at least June 1

PaulP

Reaction score
I doubt DeWine has given any thought to softball, but he needs to announce his plans for school. School officials seem more upbeat this week that school will resume in May, but that might be a ploy to keep the kids engaged. Weeks ago Ohio passed legislation that forbids schools from publishing any more grades this school year. It’s also hard to imagine every school in Ohio will have plan to maintain social distancing by the end of this month. But if a miracle happens and DeWine declares it’s ok to pack hundreds (or thousands) of kids into a school within a couple of weeks, then playing softball outside this summer should be allowed.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Let's say school and HS softball season does begin in May....fingers crossed. One would think Snodgrass and OHSAA would make a decision to allow the girls to play HS ball and Travel at the same time. It only makes sense. They would not want the girls to have to make a decision between the 2. That just wouldn't be good for anyone. Hopefully, they can mirror it like PA does it or something similar. It's early enough into the scheduling to avoid weekend HS tournament games so there wouldn't be conflicts. Doing it this way would also not force the summer tournaments (primarily showcase events) to reschedule.

OHSAA could careless about summer teams.
Their focus is 100% high school sports and naturally athlete protection or, at least that is what they will say....

If we do go back it will be with the same provisions, when your team is knocked out of the tournament you go to your travel team.

Now, I do know of schools that do not participate in OHSAA tournaments (there are more than you think). Although there are not many ladies from these schools that play summer / travel ball they could start their travel team as soon as their regular season concludes.

https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/GeneralSportsRegulations.pdf

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Dewine is supposed to announce this week schools will not reopen this school year.

Districts are to start looking at 2021 instructional delivery changes that will include off campus internet based instruction and reduced on campus numbers.
Some options are males one day females another day or, certain grades on specific days. Sports will be affected well into next school year and there is another issue.... HS and College sports are going to fall victim to the economic meltdown and budget cuts of 20 to 50%...

Fox news had an article that came out this morning about colleges/universities that will start to announce the dropping of some or all sports programs due to budget cuts... U.C in Cincinnati has already announced last week men's soccer is done...

Sports as we have known it, may undergo changes that impacts the total high school experience especially for inner city and underprivileged districts.

Richard Smith

Reaction score
I think Dewine cancels the remaining school year in Ohio and HS sports gets cancelled. I have a junior and would like to see her play, but doesn't make sense to put 30+ kids in a classroom where they can't social distance themselves from other, just for 3 weeks of school.

PaulP

Reaction score
Pray somehow it’s safe to play college football in the fall. If not, athletic budgets will be slashed without that revenue.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yup. no HS spring sports. really hasn't sunk in yet... damn this stinks

jt7663

Reaction score
Sorry Dan ......... it's been 2 weeks + over here in PA & it isn't any better once it does set in

SonicMojo

Reaction score
Weeks ago Ohio passed legislation that forbids schools from publishing any more grades this school year. It’s also hard to imagine every school in Ohio will have plan to maintain social distancing by the end of this month.

LOL. That was to prohibit the state from grading schools, not to prohibit schools from grading kids. Kids are still being graded (though our high schoolers are being told no final exams).

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Pray somehow it’s safe to play college football in the fall. If not, athletic budgets will be slashed without that revenue.
Its already going down...Urbana college is closing their doors. Fox sports said look for many other small college universities to follow.
Larger colleges/Universities will downsize athletics... University of Cincinnati has already dropped programs to meet the DI minimum while signing on to the NCAA petition to reduce all DI sports from 16.... This number is total male and female...